PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils for hair loss

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have been noticing that the hair at my temples is thinning and I've also been shedding quite a bit lately. I eat a healthy diet and as far as I know I don't have any health issues (such as thyroid problems). This has become very frustrating:(.

I've been reading a little about essential oils, and it seems like they might help with my hair loss. There is a beauty store close to where I live that sells essential oils from a brand called Butterfly Expressions. They also have an online store. They have an essential oil blend for the hair that is called "Le Dandy". Here are the oils listed:

lavendar, sage, rosemary, cypress, thyme, basil

From what I understand the blend needs to be mixed with a carrier oil such as jojoba oil.

I was curious if anyone has heard of this brand of oils? And are these oils good for hairloss? I really want to get on top of this.

TIA

Nightshade
May 20th, 2010, 03:19 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

You might find that thread worth a read :)

lastnite
May 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I never heard of that brand, but it sounds like a very good mix of oils. If the price is right to you, try it. You mix a few drops into a carrier oil, I like jojoba for essential oils, and leave on overnight if possible. The smell from the essential oils should help you sleep better too.

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thank you Nightshade and Lastnite!

Lastnite, were you dealing with hairloss? Did the oils help you? I have fractionated coconut oil, but would jojoba be better?

loralie
May 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hey Brighteyes!

I found that using castor oil, really thick and leaving it on my temples helped the little baby hairs to thicken up a bit... but it's hard to get them to grow long. I'll be checking out that thread as well!

lastnite
May 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Lastnite, were you dealing with hairloss? Did the oils help you? I have fractionated coconut oil, but would jojoba be better?

coconut oil is good too.

My hair has thinned out over the years, so I tried the EOs for that. I read the essential oils can take 6 months to work, I don't think I stuck with them long enough to see any benefit. Maybe I'll try them again after I experiment with the Indian herbs.:)

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM
coconut oil is good too.

My hair has thinned out over the years, so I tried the EOs for that. I read the essential oils can take 6 months to work, I don't think I stuck with them long enough to see any benefit. Maybe I'll try them again after I experiment with the Indian herbs.:)

Six months? That's good to know. This is going to be a lesson in patience for me.:D

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

You might find that thread worth a read :)

Thank you for the link! That was such a good read. I am definitely going to try using essential oils.

Purdy Bear
May 21st, 2010, 02:18 AM
Iv done some research on this (Im an Alopecian) and heres what Iv found so far. Iv also looked at the other thread as well.

Oils for Hairgrowth:

Jojoba OIl
Rosemary - Stimulates and strengthens
Lavender - Stimulates regeneration
Cedarwood
Thyme
Sage
Geranium
Ylang Ylang
Bay (Laurus nobills)
Evening Primrose oils
Rosehip
Carrot - calming
Orange
Grapefruit
Lemon - cell regeneration
Roman Chamomile (theres more then one type)
Arnica - stimulates
Calamus - stimulates
Basil - stimulates
Cypress - reduce oil and dandruff
Peppermint - stimulates
Tea Tree - heals infections and reduces itchiness

Im not an expert. Im going to mix four EOs and with a carrier oil.

I have the oils for the Aberdeen Infirmary Recipe and also Melanie Von Zabuesnig.

PS If you are worried get yourself checked by the Dr, as some hormone imbalances can show themselves in this way.

BrightEyes
May 21st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Iv done some research on this (Im an Alopecian) and heres what Iv found so far. Iv also looked at the other thread as well.

Oils for Hairgrowth:

Jojoba OIl
Rosemary - Stimulates and strengthens
Lavender - Stimulates regeneration
Cedarwood
Thyme
Sage
Geranium
Ylang Ylang
Bay (Laurus nobills)
Evening Primrose oils
Rosehip
Carrot - calming
Orange
Grapefruit
Lemon - cell regeneration
Roman Chamomile (theres more then one type)
Arnica - stimulates
Calamus - stimulates
Basil - stimulates
Cypress - reduce oil and dandruff
Peppermint - stimulates
Tea Tree - heals infections and reduces itchiness

Im not an expert. Im going to mix four EOs and with a carrier oil.

I have the oils for the Aberdeen Infirmary Recipe and also Melanie Von Zabuesnig.

PS If you are worried get yourself checked by the Dr, as some hormone imbalances can show themselves in this way.

Thank you Purdy Bear. Wow, I didn't realize there are so many oils that can help stimulate hair growth!

In2wishin
May 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM

The advantage of the Fractionated Coconut oil is that it will be absorbed into your scalp rather quickly which would be nice if you will be sleeping with it; other oils may have a longer effect on the hair itself. Which you use will depend on what you are looking to do.

Melisande
May 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I've been massaging my hair for three years at least once a week, if not twice, with essential oils (as mentioned in the original discussion). My temple hair has not improved very much, but the overall quality of my hair certainly has.

My advice (or rather, that's how I do it): read as much as you can, choose the oils (follow your intuition too - if an oil smells unpleasant, I wouldn't buy it, I believe in body intuition...), make your mixture (I use jojoba oil as base but you can mix a base from oils you like) and put it in the fridge. Put a small amount in a dropper bottle and keep that bottle next to your bed.

The night before you wash, put tiny drops on strategic places on your head and follow with a gentle massage. If you are lucky and didn't exaggerate, the scalp will drink it all up, and you see no traces of the oil in the morning. If you put a lot, well, you wash anyway ;-)

After a while, you have the routine down and do the massage regularly. I do it when I read before I go to sleep. I love what the oils have done for my hair! It looks much healthier. Healthy, strong scalp = healthy strong hair, at least for me.

Oh, and I love the smell!