PDA

View Full Version : Oh gawd, no.....

VitaR86
May 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM
So, my mom had APL hair and has been bugging me to cut it for her. I'm no stylist but I can do basics. She just wanted a few inches off and some layers. I had kept turning her down because.... well for one, I just didn't want to, but also I have no idea where the heck my hair scissors are. I'm betting they are one of those things to have been lost in my last move.

Anyway, I just saw her and she had it chopped to just above the shoulders. And guess what she said to me?

"Hey, you should cut yours this short, I bet Gary (my DH) would notice a change then."

I pretty much went....:run: Nooo effing way. I haven't had my hair that short since I was 18. And that was to cut out a hair color. And I'm sure my DH would notice that, but I highly doubt he would like it.

embee
May 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Heh. I've had such "cut" comments too, and found that it's best *not* to rise up and reply the way I really feel. Just, "hmmm, that's something to think about..." is enough. Otherwise I get *crazy* and heaven knows what I'll say and regret, or find myself in some endless discussion/argument/defense!

I hope you mom stays happy with her cut, but hair does grow, so if she changes her mind all she has to do is quit trimming! ;)

dropinthebucket
May 20th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Moms can just be that way. No matter how old we get, they sometimes still see us through their own glasses.

I'm guilty of this with my own child once in a while, too! :)

XcaliburGirl
May 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM
My standard response for unsolicited parental advice:
"I'll take that into consideration. Thank you for your concern/interest/etc."

(Not necessarily worded like that.)

FrannyG
May 20th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I am the mother of a 21 year-old woman and I am a daughter. I have been on the receiving end of hair advice from them both. I just don't let it bother me at all. Everyone has an opinion or a preference. It just may not be the same as mine. It doesn't mean that they really dislike your hair. Sometimes it's just a suggestion to make conversation.

If my mother expresses the thought that I get my hair cut, I just tell her that I don't have any immediate plans to do so, and we leave it at that.

My daughter encourages me to use a darker shade of dye, and I tell her that it is not anything I intend to do. We leave it at that.

I know that I've been guilty of giving my daughter opinions on her hair when not asked and she just tells me flat out, "I like it the way it is." It doesn't bother me, and it doesn't appear to bother her.

I guess I've just taken a long, roundabout way of telling you that it's time to let these (probably) harmless comments just go and not let them get to you.

jera
May 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
My standard response for unsolicited parental advice:
"I'll take that into consideration. Thank you for your concern/interest/etc."

(Not necessarily worded like that.)

That's really good. When it comes to people trying to convince me to cut my hair I lack diplomacy. :p

christine1989
May 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I got those comments a lot when my hair was at waist length a few years ago (mostly from either my grandma or friends). My least favorite comment by far was "short girls should not have long hair".

Animae
May 20th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Or, "you know, you're almost thirty, and long hair makes you look hard"

Ummm, short hair makes me look like a fat toadstool.