PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Your Own Fringe (Bangs)

kitten1986
May 20th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hi guys...I am from Australia and we call bangs fringes... anyway I saw this tutorial on cutting your own and I am thinking about giving it a go...

has anyone done anything similar and have any advice for me?
I already have a layer there that is about nose length (from when I had a blunt fringe like 2 years ago) so its not like I will be chopping into straight all one length hair.

heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9dKnie3Z8c

Liss
May 20th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I have considered doing my own for a long time, but I'm still undecided. I've looked at so many tutorials and the best I found was this one:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4404654_do-side-swept-bangs-womens.html

Hope it's helpful, and good luck.

Curlsgirl
May 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hi guys...I am from Australia and we call bangs fringes... anyway I saw this tutorial on cutting your own and I am thinking about giving it a go...

has anyone done anything similar and have any advice for me?
I already have a layer there that is about nose length (from when I had a blunt fringe like 2 years ago) so its not like I will be chopping into straight all one length hair.

heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9dKnie3Z8c

In my HUMBLE opinion unless you are REALLY talented with scissors and cutting your hair that video looks like it would be a little difficult to do on your own. But maybe you could, it really depends on the person. It does look to ME like she parts her hair very far to the left side too which you might not like. If it were me, I would spend the money and go to a good hair cutter rather than mess up my hair. Either that or look for an easier video and cut VERY SMALL amounts at a time.

alwayssmiling
May 20th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Yikes! that looks scary! But I enjoyed watching it, her fringe looked great but I don't think I would be able to do that. I've just cut my own fringe, just straight across blunt fringe. I cut the sides too short so without making my fringe shorter I'll have to wait for it to grow. :o

kitten1986
May 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM
oh wow Liss that tute video was cool! I am watching the rest of the videos now :)

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I always cut my own bangs. I prefer them the way I do them to the way my hairtrimmer does them. She knows just to trim my main hair and leave the bangs for me to keep trim.

Ravenwaves 88
May 20th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I think eventually I might cut in some bangs as I really like them on me. I have decided to get as close as I can to my goal length of Tailbone first as to not disturb the growth rate. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I keep reading how your hair likes to grow even and will distribute it's energy of growth to shorter lengths and stunt the growth of the longer layers.

I will have bangs in the future.....of the side swept variety. :)

Stevy
May 20th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I cut my own - in fact, I did them this morning, and I'm kind of sorry I didn't see those videos first so that I could experiment with those techniques!

I expect a professional hairdresser could do a better job, but honestly for me the convenience of being able to cut my face-framing layers in my own time, in front of my own mirror without having to go to the hassle of making an appointment or having someone try to sell me products or ask me where I went on holiday, is worth looking a bit lopsided. Yeah, I'm a recluse. ;)

TiaKitty
May 20th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I cut my own bangs. I did go to a hairdresser the last time, because I hadn't had any in so long, and I was hesitant to cut out a chunk. But, once they get going, I do the upkeep. It seems so much easier.

UltraBella
May 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I watched several YouTube videos on cutting your own fringe and I have been cutting my own, with a razor, ever since. Which is funny, because I own two salons and have plenty of stylists who could do it for me. Maybe I am just a control freak, but I always like mine better.

LaurelSpring
May 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I have been cutting my own fringe forever. Whenever I went to the stylist (which I dont do anymore anyway) they always cut them too short and I had to feel like a freak for a couple of weeks until it grew. I have watched a few youtubes on it but I really like this one. I think I will give it a go because I am wearing it to the side now like that. At the moment I am growing out my fringe but I wouldnt mind something like this one when I get the urge to cut again. Thanks for posting!

butterflycayton
May 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Yikes! that looks scary! But I enjoyed watching it, her fringe looked great but I don't think I would be able to do that. I've just cut my own fringe, just straight across blunt fringe. I cut the sides too short so without making my fringe shorter I'll have to wait for it to grow. :o
I have cut my own bangs for all my life and from experience I have found that if you hold your hair out from your forhead about 2 or3 inches and cut straight across when you let them down they are in a upside down U shape. The sides are longer than the middle. Someone on here, Sorry I can't remember her exact name. Leopsie?? something like that had a great utube video about cutting bangs.

cocolady
May 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I cut my own bangs because I'm a hairdresser and I've always been practicing on my own hair lol It's not that hard to do really. I usually just do it similar to the first video.

Brenda714
May 20th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I think if your hair is on the straighter side, it will look really nice. Mine is wavy, plus I have a small forehead, and my fringe looked dreadful on me! I am currently trying to grow them out and it's a hassle when you don't like them. Good luck to you if you decide to cut, I bet they will look great on you.

Squeak toy
May 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I have straight across bangs. I got them cut in middle school. I pulled down just enought hair to not be too thick and then my mother cut then across. I was very scared because the only time she choose bangs for me a a small child they started half way back on my head. I just wanted a bit but still see my forehead. I trim then myself if I feel they are in my eyes too much and this is better than a hair dresser who needs to cut then a bit short to give you time till you return. I am not sure about the side swept bangs as they do look harder to cut. If you try it yourself you can start a bit longer and it it looks good cut some more but it not it will be easier to fix.

frizzalot
May 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've cut my sisters' fringe and my DD fringe. DD has a normal straight across, and sister has one that is slightly longer at the sides. What I do is hold the section of hair for the fringe vertically (tips pointing at the ceiling), then twist it 180 degrees and then blunt snip. She has always been pleased with the results.

If you are going to cut your own, make sure you cut it slightly longer than you want it, then take little bits off until you are pleased with how it looks.

good luck!

JenniferNoel
May 20th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I cut my own fringe regularly. I enjoy it, and it looks fantastic (ego, I know, but it does :D).
I started cutting it about 3 or 4 months ago. Still not tired of it, either!
I like to cut my own face framing layers and long layers as well. They really help the curl pattern. My bangs, if combed back when wet, dry naturally just the way I like it, so I don't have to blow dry. Hooray for well-thought-out shaping.

Sarahmoon
May 20th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I cut mine a few days ago, using Torrin Paige's method, where you take the hair and twist it so it will be a bit longer on the sides and shorter in the middle.
Unfortunately I held them against my face instead of in front of me, so they still ended up kind of blunt :roll: Hated it the first 5 minutes, though when I run my fingers through it a few times it looks ok.

Kathie
May 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I have considered doing my own for a long time, but I'm still undecided. I've looked at so many tutorials and the best I found was this one:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4404654_do-side-swept-bangs-womens.html

Hope it's helpful, and good luck.

I use this method to cut my fringe. I've been using it for a couple of years now since asking my hairdresser how to tidy up my fringe inbetween visits. I havent had any thing go wrong :D
Just take small bits off at a time, the difference between just right and too short isn't much :mad:

Beesweet
May 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I started this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48547) on cutting my own fringe today. Not to hijack in any way but I included a pic of what my fringe looked like when I first did it myself, about four weeks ago, after watching a youtube video. When I started, it was a straight across bob, longer than chin.

I will find the youtube video I used and post it here. It took some searching to get it, so it may be a few minutes.

My first time looked good, second time, not so good. I went shorter and had to deal with very wavy hair...shape isn't right yet. I now have to tweak it.

Capybara
May 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Here's another video on how to cut your own fringe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxb-g3lrhzE

I cut mine but I find it easier to have a stylist do it the first time, and then do the maintenance myself. The initial cut is the most difficult to judge where to cut to. But, after that, if you just follow along what you had before, it's simple :flower:

Welcome to the LHC!

kitten1986
May 20th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Thank you guys for sooo many wonderful responses, I was a little worried about it at first but I figured that I could always go get it fixed if it turned out horribly. I used to cut my blunt bangs afew years ago myself but they were really easy to trim back.

I used my VERY sharp professional hair scissors and did the initial cuts like the first video ( I tried the second video technique but my hair wasnt long enough) then I point cut it until it was sitting exactly how I wanted it. Then I thinned out some face framing layers doing the first method.

I REALLY love it :cheese: I am really happy that I took the plunge my new fringe suits me so much more than the long lank layers of the last one. And now I am confident that I will be able to cut my hair all on my own from now on. I plan on using Feyes method for trims when my hair is longer (its only just past shoulder now) and I am going to use some thinning scissors to thin out the bulk because my hair is really thick and poofs out ridiculously at this length.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys :grouphug:

Sarahmoon
May 21st, 2010, 05:02 AM
I forgot to add Torrin's video: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/3/PrM8JQR3sUE She addresses the fringe at 1:55.