PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about fairytale ends

kelly-j
May 20th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Ok, If you donīt ask you donīt get an answer, right? ;)
Iīve been thinking about fairytale ends for a while and there is one thing that I donīt get, so please let my know the secret.
Is the only way to get fairytale ends, not to cut it or trim it? I mean isnīt that how fairytale ends appear?
If you donīt trim, wonīt split ends travel longer and longer towards your roots making the hair looking damaged?
How does it work?

Loreley
May 20th, 2010, 02:09 AM
I think if you do S&D you won't have splits but your hair will be thin at the ends. :confused:

emmabovary
May 20th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I think if you do S&D you won't have splits but your hair will be thin at the ends. :confused:

That's how I've understood it too.

missjessiecakes
May 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I believe it is the natural taper of hair which may or may not be helped along by the type of hemline.

share801
May 20th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I always thought it was by type of *hair*.

ilovelonghair
May 20th, 2010, 02:45 AM
At terminal hair length you will get fairytale ends. But there can be other reasons, for me it is because I lost a lot of hair 2 years ago and there is a definite difference between the old hair from 2 years ago and the new hair, which is thicker. The old hair got fairytale ends.
Some people cut their hair in such a way that there are fairytale ends.

kristymarie87
May 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
What's fairytale ends? Am i dumb for not knowing lol

I imagine it as being quite whispy ends that curl?

Rowanne
May 20th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Kristymarie87, I've understood that fairytale ends refers to hair that tapers naturally towards the ends (= opposite of blunt cut).

I was wondering the same thing myself until yesterday. I think I haven't heard the word outside the LHC :)

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Yup fairytale ends are basically where you let your hair grow without trimming the hemline blunt so it grows in a natural shape. The name does exist outside of HC and there have been websites specifically about it.
As has been said you can deal with splits by S&D. I have noticed in recent times less people seem to like the look though and i've noticed on here more members saying hemlines that fairytale should be cut neatly.
Personally i like them, i think they give a natural look and add an etherial vibe to the appearance.
I hope that helps answer your questions :)

embee
May 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM
That's how my hair has grown out. Each hair is a slightly different length, and I do not trim.

I plan to leave them that way; every updo works easier for me. Some folks hate fairytale ends, others love them. Personal preference.

Sarahmoon
May 21st, 2010, 05:56 AM
I got some fairytale ends when I didn't trim for over 3 years. My split ends didn't "travel up". I don't really believe in travelling splits, but maybe it's a personal thing.
I think you can maintain fairytale ends by sd-ing, but I never tried it cause I had quite a lot split ends, would have taken me ages.

cmnt831
May 21st, 2010, 06:41 AM
There have been a couple of times in my life when I didn't trim my hair for a few years and the ends pretty much retained the blunt cut they had when they started. I think I'm over two years without a trim at this point (except S&D) and I have no sign of fairytale ends.

It may be a hair growth pattern thing for certain people? I don't know - but I do think that fairytale ends look pretty and sometimes wish I could grow them. :)

jivete
May 21st, 2010, 07:00 AM
All hair should fairytale at terminal length, but some hair types are prone to it because of varying growth rate (or breakage). A "V" shape hem with layers would mimic the look pretty well for those that want the look but their hair is too short/thick/evenly growing to do it naturally.

For most people, I don't really believe splits travel up either. I think you need to have some robust hair for the split to unravel. A split on my hair will break off long before it could travel anywhere. Actually seeing splits in my hair was a sign it was getting stronger because the split was able to form instead of simply breaking off. :twocents:

heidihug
May 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
There have been a couple of times in my life when I didn't trim my hair for a few years and the ends pretty much retained the blunt cut they had when they started. I think I'm over two years without a trim at this point (except S&D) and I have no sign of fairytale ends.

It may be a hair growth pattern thing for certain people? I don't know - but I do think that fairytale ends look pretty and sometimes wish I could grow them.
cmnt831, I didn't get noticeable fairytale ends until I was past hip-length, so it could be that you won't until your hair gets longer. My ends are the result of breakage and natural loss - I mean, my longest hairs are probably 9+ years old, with my average monthly growth rate taken into account. I'm kind of amazed that I have any that are actually that old!

spidermom
May 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
My splits travel. I've found them open as much as 2-3-4 inches (somewhere in there; didn't actually measure). Also, when you see a little twig of hair sticking out several inches from the bottom, that is usually a split that traveled and broke off.

jel
May 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Also, when you see a little twig of hair sticking out several inches from the bottom, that is usually a split that traveled and broke off.

Or it could be a split on one of your shorter hairs - I sometimes find these poking out of my braids.

HotRag
May 21st, 2010, 10:35 AM
I got some fairytale ends when I didn't trim for over 3 years. My split ends didn't "travel up". I don't really believe in travelling splits, but maybe it's a personal thing.
I think you can maintain fairytale ends by sd-ing, but I never tried it cause I had quite a lot split ends, would have taken me ages.
My splits doesn't neither seem to travel up.

My hair kept growing until I cut it shoulder length (this was when I was 12 yo, no S&D then), had splits and fairytale ends, but it kept growing. I think my hair breaks, but it doesn't seem to travel.

When I had my long hair in the 90's, I did S&D, but after my second dog came along, I had not enough time, and stopped. Nothing really bad happened. I could of course find more splits, but the ends looked mostly the same (if not looking close for splits). I then just made micro trims, but no S&D for three years. Hair was 50" when cut, so ends were old.

cmnt831
May 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM
cmnt831, I didn't get noticeable fairytale ends until I was past hip-length, so it could be that you won't until your hair gets longer. My ends are the result of breakage and natural loss - I mean, my longest hairs are probably 9+ years old, with my average monthly growth rate taken into account. I'm kind of amazed that I have any that are actually that old!

Ah, thanks for the info. It is amazing that you have 9 year old hair!

The longest my hair has ever been was hip length and it was still blunt at that point. I may have to live without fairytale ends because I don't think I can keep up with maintaining longer hair than hip. I guess I'll just work with what I've got. :D