PDA

View Full Version : anyone make their own herbal oils?

lastnite
May 20th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I'm getting ready to order some of hesh Indian herbs to make my own herbal oils. I'm hoping I can make a stronger infusion and use a mixture of oils instead of buying the premixed oils. Anyone do this with good success? Did the final product come out good and work well for your hair? Any recipes or tips to share? I want to mostly combat shedding and help thicken up my hair.

So far on my list I have amla, brahmi, maka and kalpi tone.. any other ones I'm missing that would help with growth, thickening, and condition and help strengthen?

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I keep meaning to do this but am going to soon.
The one i'm planning to make will have methi (fenugreek) seeds, amla, curry leaves, bhringraj, brahmi and kapoor kachli in. Along with some essential oils like spikenard/jatamansi, ylang ylang and lavender. Of course this can be very changeable and i may decide to add a load of other stuff as well lol, cayenne pepper is looking quite likely too.

I would say if you want to combat shedding then methi/fenugreek seeds would be a good thing to add. For oil making i'd use the whole seeds but in hair treatments i use the powdered ones.

Cleopatra18
May 20th, 2010, 07:34 AM
how do you make the oils out of herbs??:confused: and i heard that fenugreek powder lost all the benefits in the whole seeds,is this true?:confused:!!

TiaKitty
May 20th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I've made oils before, but not with the herbs you are mentioning. I've mainly done scented oils from fresh flowers: rose, honesuckle, violet, and nutmeg.

Best of luck with your experiment, and let us know how it turns out!

In2wishin
May 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I have my first one almost ready to try. It is high oleic sunflower oil infused with Nettle, Melissa (Lemon Balm), Elderflower, Cleavers, Plantain, and Fo-Ti. I plan to use it to oil my hair and as the fixed oil in my conditioner.

I have a mix of most of the Indian herbs you mentioned that I use as a hair wash.

klcqtee
May 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
I tired making my own EO with Creosote and safflower oil. That didn't go well at all, but hopefully you'll do better!

lastnite
May 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
hmmm, I read through the make your own conditioner thread and seen some people make their own extracts with glycerin, maybe I'll try it that way and then mix the extracts with a a mix of oils.

Flaxen
May 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
how do you make the oils out of herbs??:confused:
There are two ways. The first is to take the herbs (ground or whole) and put them in a jar with oil. Then leave the whole thing to sit in a dark place for a month. Strain it when you are ready to use it.

The second way is faster, and it is done on the stove top. Put the herbs and the oil in a pan, and let it steep over very low heat for a couple of hours. :smile:

Natalia
May 21st, 2010, 10:29 PM
I've made oils before, but not with the herbs you are mentioning. I've mainly done scented oils from fresh flowers: rose, honesuckle, violet, and nutmeg.

Ohhh those scented oils sound lovely can i make them with the method below? I get paranoid about putting fresh material in oils due to bacteria, like i said paranoid :p lol.

The second way is faster, and it is done on the stove top. Put the herbs and the oil in a pan, and let it steep over very low heat for a couple of hours. :smile:

Cleopatra18
May 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
oh but what kind of oil do you use?? and the oil we'll have will be more like infused oil not a pure form right?:confused:

Gulbahar
May 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
hmmm, I read through the make your own conditioner thread and seen some people make their own extracts with glycerin, maybe I'll try it that way and then mix the extracts with a a mix of oils.
Glycerin doesn't mix with oil.

lastnite
May 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
Glycerin doesn't mix with oil.

oh, thanks for the info. ;) I read some herbs don't extract good in oils, so I'm not sure if any of the Indian herbs wouldn't extract in oil.