PDA

View Full Version : Measuring hair length

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Question for those of you who are more familiar with this :
Should I be measuring my hair where it naturally falls or measuring it straight ? My hair is wavy and I am just wondering if there is a standard way to do it. I am either waist length or hip length...... I lose some length when my hair is wavy. Correct method please ?
I would just post a pic of my hair on this post, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet !

Quixii
May 19th, 2010, 11:44 PM
It depends on the person. My personal preference is to measure straight, but mark landmarks when dry.

For posting a picture, you need to upload the picture from your computer onto an image-uploading site, such as Photobucket, or your very own LHC album. Then you take the link that this process gives you, click the button in a post that looks like a picture, and copy the link into that. :)

cardamom
May 20th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Some measure the length as such,though I prefer stretched length measurement for accurate growth monitoring.:)

UltraBella
May 20th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Yay me ! I think I figured it out :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5531&pictureid=72398
If I straighten my hair or gently pull it down, it is longer than this. So maybe I am at hip length, or right between waist and hip. Not sure.

kelly-j
May 20th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I have somy waves going on in my hair, but I always measure where my hair falls naturally. To me that just seems more accurate.
BTW, your hair is simply gorgeous!

Loreley
May 20th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I pull it straight when I measure it because sometimes it's wavy but sometimes it's curly and not the same length. So I always pull it straight to get the same results every time. :)

Your hair is gorgeous! On this picture it looks at least tailbone length to me! :D

JenniferNoel
May 20th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I just measure mine when it's wet. :)

Masara
May 20th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I measure mine where it falls naturally. My ends go all over the place anyway so it's never all that accurate. I think smoothing it down the tape measure would be more accurate. But I started one way and I decided to keep to the same technique.

jel
May 20th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Whatever the method you choose to adopt, it's important to be consistent. When I was growing from shoulder to tailbone, I measured the longest layer of my hair, pulled straight. That way I could notice if there were any stalls in growth. However, what started as a monthly measurement became more of a "it's been a while"! ;)

Now that I'm maintaining around hip, I haven't even measured the lenght I trimmed to!