PDA

View Full Version : Dry skin, dry hair, any advice?

Bloodheart
May 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM
My skin on my face decided a couple of weeks ago to go super dry - as in flaking and cracking, despite using E45 cream, olive oil, bio oil and Sudocreme - no idea what is going on, but I think it is also effecting my scalp/hair too.

I swear since my skin started going dry I've been losing more hair, my hair also hasn't been getting 'oily'. I understand the whole 'scalp is dry > overcompensates by producing uber amounts of oil' but my theory is that if something is going on with me internally surely less oil will be produced by my skin and scalp - so dry skin, dry hair, and potential hair loss as another symptom.

Am I right in thinking whatever is going on with my skin on my face may also be effecting my scalp and hair? Any ideas on how to help?

Backliteyes
May 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM
It's totally possible the two are related. Honestly I think the best way to help would be to see a doctor, primary care first, who can probably decide whether you need a dermatologist or whether the cause of the problems is internal and you need some sort of internal medicine...or both.

Purdy Bear
May 20th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I would also check out your nutrition. Just a few days ago I found out that a defiency in omega fatty acids can cause dry scalp and breakage. Also I would look at how much water your drinking, is it enough for your climate.

Blandine
May 20th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Do you drink enough? Drink more water. 3 litres per day at least. This cure is worth a try, simple as it is, and it often helps.

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I would also check out your nutrition. Just a few days ago I found out that a defiency in omega fatty acids can cause dry scalp and breakage. Also I would look at how much water your drinking, is it enough for your climate.

My thoughts exactly. Fats are very important in the diet so if you are dieting or just not eating good quality fats/oils containing essential fatty acids and a decent blend of omega 3, 6 and 9 then that can cause a problem. Water is important too as has been mentioned.
Try and think what changed in your life leading up to developing this problem, health issue, starting a new medication, diet changes etc. I'd say go to a doctor but be aware they will likely just prescribe a cream rather than looking for a root cause but it's still worth getting checked in case its an indication of a more serious medical problem.
Good luck

dropinthebucket
May 20th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Burdock root influences the sebaceous glands (in decoction). It works over a period of time (give it at least a couple of weeks, and keep up with it a couple of months). Worth a try. Also, sunflower seeds - eat them, and also get the unsalted kind and make a strong decoction by pouring boiling water over the seeds. Let sit. When cool enough, you can pour this over your skin and hair.

Curlsgirl
May 20th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Thyroid can be a culprit in all of the symptoms you have listed, dry skin, dry hair and hair loss. Definitely get it tested.

zenobia
May 20th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I would also suggest drinking more water, especially if you're finding yourself feeling more thirsty lately. Cutting back on caffeine can also help.

Also you may want to try adding fish oil to your diet.