PDA

View Full Version : Should conditioner be taken to the ends when CO washing?

Bloodheart
May 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I use CO washing, it's all good, better than good actually...

...but my ends can still be very dry...granted I sometimes use shampoo, and instantly I get dry split ends *sigh* - currently I'm covering my hair with coconut oil before washing, which seems to be doing the trick. But I'm wondering, should I be taking the conditioner all the way to the ends of my hair?

On the one hand conditioner is moisturising, right? So beneficial to hair.
On the other hand it will still be stripping oils, even if a lot less than shampoo, so drying to the hair, right?

I use cinnamon oil in my conditioner, would that make any difference?
I'm guessing not, but since I'm here I thought I may as well ask.

Quixii
May 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Do you mean the longest ends or the "ends" at your roots? Because if you mean the first one, I should hope so! I definitely apply conditioner from the top down, only sometimes skipping the roots, but usually coating it all.

Bloodheart
May 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Yup, longest ends :-)

Thank you.

Underlig
May 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I personally use two different conditioners for my CO wash. Basically, I first get a cheap runny conditioner which I wash my scalp with. I then leave that on, and apply another conditioner to my length and ends, this one is more of a treatment type. Works great for me. =)

misspriss
May 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I would CO your entire hair, then use a thicker conditioner as a conditioner on the ends. I do this sometimes, but my ends aren't particularly different than my hair.

adiapalic
May 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I don't CO, but I do always condition my ends--I won't put conditioner anywhere near my already oily scalp though. :) I highly recommend conditioning ends.

Breen
May 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I would CO my entire head roots to ends. Some avoid roots because it can leave them greasy, but I'd think the ends are the most important part to get conditioner on.

Carolyn
May 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I apply the CO conditioner roots to tips and then my second heavier conditioner roots to tips also. I often do an overnight oiling the night before I do a CO wash.

AlleyKitten
May 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I concentrate the CO wash on my roots, but I get a little on the ends. Then after I rinse out the wash, I use a heavier conditioner on the ends.

cardamom
May 20th, 2010, 12:05 AM
By "ends" do you mean roots? I avoid conditioner on the roots,but leave a pea size of it at the tips after every wash (CO or CWC).:)

tarn
May 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I just use the cheap conditioner from roots to ends. It seems to clean my scalp and the ends seem to like it too. I find that because I'm not shampooing all the time (maybe once a week) and CO for the rest, that the ends aren't getting stripped.:)

ravenreed
May 20th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I have really oily hair so I do my less moisturizing conditioner roots to tips, then I do a more slippy, thicker conditioner on the bottom 1/4 of my hair. With this routine, my hair is LESS oily than it was with shampoo, and my ends are less dry, too.

hanne jensen
May 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I use my CO on all my hair. After rinsing it all out I then use my "real" conditioner on the length.