PDA

View Full Version : Getting hair cut at beauty school

BrightEyes7
May 19th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hiya all!

I was thinking about getting my hair cut... not much, just a few inches. But I have had my hours cut at work recently and am moving so money is really tight.

I was thinking about going to a local beauty school to get it cut, to save money. Has anyone done this? Were the results totally terrifying?

My SIL is the one who told me about it, I think that is where she goes. But she has a totally different style. Her idea of her hair looking nice is being teased to be a foot off her head! AHHH!

Anyway, so I would like to hear everyone's opinions on getting hair cuts done by students

Willow
May 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry to say it but I wouldn't go. I just graduated from beauty school and I know what kinds of things happen there..lol. Although, I must admit it may have just been my school as I have no knowledge of any others. How about doing it yourself with Feye's self trim method?

BrightEyes7
May 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Well I wanted a bit more than a trim. I would be fine, maybe, doing a dusing myself but I'm looking to get rid of a few inches. I think I may tell them to keep it longer than I am really willing to go so if they mess up I can always get it fixed.

BrightEyes
May 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I don't get my hair cut at a beauty school now because I have a stylist that I know and trust. But when I went to beauty school there were a handful of fellow students that would have done a great job. Actually, one of my favorite cuts came from a good friend in beauty school.

While there are some students who are still in the learning process and may not do as well as you'd like, there are also students that cut very well. I saw many people in school who seemed to just have a gift with hair. It was amazing how quickly they learned everything.

One thing you can do is ask for a senior student, possibly one that has long hair and understands that you don't want a lot taken off. Although we hated this in school:D, it's more likely you will get the cut you want. They are more simply more experienced. Hth:)

Carolyn
May 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Ask for a senior student who likes to work with long hair. Chat with her about what you want before she does anything to your hair. When I go to a new stylist, I ask for half of what I am comfortable with. If you want 2" trimmed, ask for 1". I found a great stylist at my local beauty school quite a few years ago. I ended up going to her when she got a job in a salon even if it was a 20 mile drive each way. My hair was about shoulder blade length with some layers at the time and I wasn't as hot on growing it as I am now. But it worked out well for me.

ohiofritty
May 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I had both my worst haircut and my best haircut cut by students.

Best haircut - a bob when I was in college...began with a cinnamon oil scalp massage, then gentle wash, then the most accurate cut ever, then styled to perfection.

Worst haircut - something layered...crooked, got corrected as much as it could be by the teacher, still ended up as the worst thing that had ever happened to my head.

So I can't really advise, but, I can say, even though that first cut was seriously amazing, the second scared me away for life.

klcqtee
May 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I say do it. I got my hair layered at a beauty school once, for $5 (including shampoo!), and they did a fantastic job! The only complaint I had (and really a very minor one) was that it took about 2 hours between the shampoo and cut. He said he'd never seen hair as thick as mine, and he'd think he'd start layering and just keep going, always finding hair that was unlayered! I was very happy with the cut, and professionalism at the school, and the teacher came over multiple times to be sure everything was going all right, and that I was happy.

Liss
May 19th, 2010, 07:09 PM
The best hair cut I ever had was at a Vidal Sasson school in London about 12 years ago. I got quite lucky though because the student cutting my hair was quite experienced. She said that she had been working in her fathers salon in Sweden for many years, but decided to get an international qualification. It was obvious she knew what she was doing.

I asked for a small trim and she did look a little disappointed that I didn't want something more challenging, but I got what I asked for. Because of my positive experience, I would probably do it again one day.

theboredelf
May 19th, 2010, 07:18 PM
I definitely wouldn't. I know too many people who went to beauty school, and from what it sounds like to me, it's one of those "at your own risk" sort of situations. You could end up with exactly what you want... or you might end up with a horror story. Do you know anyone who has even minor experience cutting hair? Friends and family are more likely to be understanding than a scissor-happy student.

Brenda714
May 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't do it myself, my girlfriend went because of money reasons and her layers were cut really uneven.

Oskimosa
May 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
My mom had hip length hair and cut it to waist using Feye's trimming method this weekend. It looks perfect. Unless you aren't scared to come out with shoulder-length hair, I'd say don't do it.