PDA

View Full Version : Chuffed with myself - New updo

BelleBot
May 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I was playing about before and managed to create this updo. Don't know if it's an already established style but I love it.

Pictures are clickable :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=72447&albumid=5315&dl=1274294599&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5315&pictureid=72447)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=72446&albumid=5315&dl=1274294599&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5315&pictureid=72446)

I used a bandette comb to make a poofy high pony (tails up kinda do). Then gathered the pony midway and poofed out the hair above a bit. Then twisted the remaining ends into a little bun and secured with a flexi 8.
I've only got an XL flexi, which was a little too big, but it worked just about, managed to stay put for several hours. I imagine an M would be better.

Just wanted to share as I think it's really pretty, and very comfortable to wear plus gives the appearance of lots of hair! :D

Loreley
May 19th, 2010, 12:53 PM
It looks awesome! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Kathie
May 19th, 2010, 12:56 PM
That’s pretty :)
IMO, I'm thinking dinner party or some other elegant event.

myrrhmaiden
May 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Oh wow! That's looks so elegant. I love it. Definitely formal wear worthy.

frizzalot
May 19th, 2010, 01:25 PM
looks cool!

embee
May 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Looks nice. :) Sometimes this random hair play works out very well.

BrightEyes
May 19th, 2010, 01:31 PM
That's so pretty! Excuse my ignorance:o, but what is a bandette comb?

serious
May 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Excuse my ignorance:o, but what is a bandette comb?

I'm curious too!

I really like this style, so feminine and elegant!

Capybara
May 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, that looks so nice! Wish my experiments went that well :p

TiaKitty
May 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I didn't know what chuffed meant, either... ! Bandette comb, chuffed... LOL!

I love that updo! It looks very nice. It reminds me of the stunning red-head on MadMen, but, of course, I can't remember her name. Joan, on the show, I think.

I like the color of your new henna, too! Lovely.

BelleBot
May 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys :D
I actually wore it with a hoodie and ripped jeans as I've been painting all day, so not exactly elegant attire :p But I've had so many compliments, people even stopped me in the street. And lots of new flexi 8 fans, seems I have to email half the people on my degree with the flexi 8 website as they all want one now.

This is a bandette comb (http://localoc.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LS&Category_Code=121212).
I got mine from claire's, think it was about £5. Not exactly pretty, but it's very versatile and you usually can't see it anyway. You could probably use a barrette or flexi 8 to create a poofy pony/tails up to start.

ButterCream
May 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM
VERY elegant and pretty:)
Love the haircolor too:D

ButterCup02
May 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Love it!! So pretty :)

misstwist
May 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
This looks great on your shiny red hair!

That's one of my favorite 'dos I secure a high-ish ponytail, pull it through so it fountains over the top and back, cross a couple bobbie pins where I want it to end on the head and wrap the tail over in a bun and secure with hair pins.

I like structured up-dos and this makes a nice bouffant.

LaurelSpring
May 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
This has been the way I have been wearing my hair almost every day now. I use a comb that I think is called a Puffy Pony. I got it at Claire's or Target I think. This one is specifically made to pouf out your pony. I found one online at amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Tonytail-Package-Braided-French-Twister/dp/B000UZSU2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1274306029&sr=8-1

I put my hair in a pony then I bring the pony up over my head and stick this comb down throught the pony hair above the band and flip the hair back over it. You could just wear it this way but I gather the ends and roll them up against my head like you did and clip it with something. I usually use a Zannclip but I have used a flexi or slide also. This is so comfortable and easy. I am actually wearing it like this now. Its my go to do these days.

yellowchariot
May 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Auh-sum, BelleBot! It reminds me of a 60's retro style, that you modernized! It looks very cool! :thumbsup:

LaurelSpring
May 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I just watched that Bandette video. I got some good ideas! I have some old plastic french twist combs that look just like them that I never use and I could most likely do the same things with that and a band. Thanks for posting!! Now I have to go experiment. :run:

serious
May 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thank you for the link, BelleBot!

I've never seen bandette combs before :o

Olde Soul
May 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Heh, I was wondering what a Bandette comb was only to realize I have one.:doh:

Love love LOVE that style.

MissManda
May 19th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I really like this updo! So elegant and pretty!

ArienEllariel
May 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Very elegant. :)

Brenda714
May 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM
It looks so darling, OMG, I sure can't wait till mine gets long! :)

GRU
May 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I just watched that Bandette video. I got some good ideas! I have some old plastic french twist combs that look just like them that I never use and I could most likely do the same things with that and a band. Thanks for posting!! Now I have to go experiment. :run:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought that same thing!

1nuitblanche
May 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
That looks neat - thanks for sharing!

rexy
May 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I love it! Nice job

Leabhar
May 19th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Oooh, very pretty! I agree it has an updated, elegant beehive vibe to it. Love your color and shine.

Uinda
May 20th, 2010, 01:47 AM
wow, that one's really pretty! I'll definitely try it!

LaurelSpring
May 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought that same thing!

It worked just fine! I used the old french twist comb and a band and was able to duplicate what he did. I did the basic french twist thing and then doubled my hair back over and put another band on top of that and it was really cute! It almost looked like a peacock twist. I had pretty much given up on that look with my hair this long. I have had it up like that all afternoon and it is very comfy. I so loooove having another do to play around with. I may have to break down and go get one of the actual clips though. Ive seen them around. I read that the band is tighter.