PDA

View Full Version : Curling BSL and longer hair

Elistariel
May 19th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Does anyone have any tips or techniques for this? I don't have the arm strength or desire to use a curling iron.
I washed my hair last night, towel dried it and put in pillow curlers. I need my hair a bit damp so the hair will dry into curls. The problem is when I rolled the damp hair on itself it won't dry for anything. I take them out in the morning and end up with a few limp, wet curls and some random wet straight bits with curls at the end.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

The funny thing is, my hair feel even wetter after I've given the curls HOURS to dry.

Siava
May 19th, 2010, 07:47 AM
The only things I can suggest are to take a microfiber towel to your individual curls after you put them in the curlers or use the cool setting on a blow dryer to help them along. Hopefully, some other members have other options if those won't work for you.

countryhopper
May 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
it should work much better if your hair is almost completely dry (maybe like 98%). You can try using rag curls or sock curls; these may work better for you since your hair is longer and you can wrap more around strips of cloth than a pillow roller. (by the way, is that the same as a sponge roller?)

Elistariel
May 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
it should work much better if your hair is almost completely dry (maybe like 98%). You can try using rag curls or sock curls; these may work better for you since your hair is longer and you can wrap more around strips of cloth than a pillow roller. (by the way, is that the same as a sponge roller?)

Pillow curlers and sponge rollers are NOT the same thing. A sponge roller is that pink thing on a plastic stick. A pillow curler is just that. It's a little pillow on a wire covered in cloth.

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Okay, I have a TON of hair and this is what works for me....... After I wash my hair I let it air dry completely. Then I go back and use a spray conditioner to add some moisture that will get wrapped with the hair. I put my curlers in, or wrap my hair in a tight bun, and go to bed. In the morning I have beautiful curls. If I do this with just towel dried hair, it is still wet the next morning, but if I let it dry and then just mist it, perfection ! And the softness is amazing :)

Siava
May 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'd never even heard of pillow curlers and just looked them up. They're adorable!

Dolly
May 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Okay, I have a TON of hair and this is what works for me....... After I wash my hair I let it air dry completely. Then I go back and use a spray conditioner to add some moisture that will get wrapped with the hair. I put my curlers in, or wrap my hair in a tight bun, and go to bed. In the morning I have beautiful curls. If I do this with just towel dried hair, it is still wet the next morning, but if I let it dry and then just mist it, perfection ! And the softness is amazing :)

I do mine on spiral rollers, and this is pretty much the same thing I do.....dampen it with some spray-on leave-in conditioner....

misstwist
May 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Yes, unless your hair is very fine and you don't have lots of it I think it is much better to use dry hair that you have dampened a bit with some sort of setting lotion or mousse or a leave-in conditioner.

I don't use curlers, rather I set my hair in pin curls, usually standing pin curls. Because I'm not wrapping the hair around a curler I'm able to do a wet set, which is really a mostly dry set for me and come out with entirely dry hair in the morning. But when it was shorter and I was using curlers I had to use dry hair that had been moistened or it just wouldn't dry.

You might look at this tutorial for a fun idea. http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/24/DMqekBNSEYA There are two parts to to this tutorial.

Good luck!

Gumball
May 19th, 2010, 12:48 PM
My signature, from New Year a few years back, is due to slightly damp hair, aloe gel, snap-on rollers, and about an hour and a half. They were still slightly damp when taken out, but the curl stayed for the most part when the hair dried. In my defense I have curly hair already so it likes to take to shapes.

countryhopper
May 20th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Pillow curlers and sponge rollers are NOT the same thing. A sponge roller is that pink thing on a plastic stick. A pillow curler is just that. It's a little pillow on a wire covered in cloth.

Wow! Thanks for letting me know! They sound cute! I'll have to look for them! :D

FrannyG
May 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM
It really does sound as though you're leaving your hair too wet before using the curls.

I agree with the others who suggest misting your dry hair lightly with water in sections before putting in the curler(I use distilled water). You can also add a dab of aloe gel or a good holding hair gel.

I know how hard it is for 1a hair to hold a curl, but doing it as I suggest above really does work for me.