PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser chopped layers into my hair... ugly ones.

Ansaphone
May 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM
1,5 week ago I went to the hairdresser to have my split ends cut. I have no idea how it was possible, but she did not listen to me at all and not only did she cut it significantly shorter, she also chopped some very ugly and uneven layers in it. I have long thin blonde hair which I straighten, so it looks ridiculous in my eyes. I had to go back to another hairdresser TWICE to have it fixed and she looked at me in horror when she saw how badly this was done. She told me to come back ever 6-8 weeks in order to get my hair cut a bit and fase out the layers. i'm thinking that I am letting my shortest layer, which is a bit below jawline length grow out until it's a bit below my shoulder, and then cut it all one length. It will not be as beautiful as it used to be, but i want it one length asap... Until that i must pin the shortest layer up because otherwise it's not symmetrical and it gets in my face.

Unfortunately that will still take some time, and I'm really unhappy right now. I was extremely proud of my hair and I miss people giving me compliments about it. I was wondering if other people have had the same experience where the hairdresser just ruined their hair. How did you feel afterwards, how did you manage growing it out without feeling ugly and down?

Ansaphone
May 19th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I also want to add that I am wearing it in a side division (is that the word?) and let it fall to the right, because in a middle division it is falling down heavily and it looks terrible since I have heavy hair. I also seem to have a lot less hair now.:(

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 04:36 AM
They NEVER listen. Never. "Ends" always mean 10 inches for them. And they'll do whatever they want on your hair, because they have just invented how to cut a hairstyle which they saw in a runway and they will try this idea on your hair. And will want money for ruining your hair.
Find one trusted hairdresser. Or trusted friend for little trims that don't requires special hairdresser's knowledge.

Oh, and you know that if you don't like it, you don't have to pay to the hairdresser? Just prove that it's not a style you wanted, I mean say again what you've said at the beginning, everyone will see it's not the thing you have on your head. Consumer's rights. I know it's mean somehow but we have to fight! :)

gi2121
May 19th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Not all hairdressers are created the same. There are hairdressers who listen, at least, I've found more than one. The thing is, you have to be very specific and explain in detail what you want AND maybe more importantly what you don't want.
Not so long ago I went to a new hairdresser (on an impulse as often :)) and I told her I wanted a bob between chin and shoulder length and showed her the picture. It was a bob with slightly layered ends. As she began cutting I told her: "I don't want any layer shorter than jawline" with gesture to enfasize :) and she said: "I wasn't going to cut shorter than this but anyway you're right to tell me so", I immediately appreciated her more because it shows she does pay attention to the client's wishes. So it's a matter of being very clear and I guess having some luck.
And Henrietta is right, you don't have to pay if it's not what you requested. I konw it's embarrassing to say you won't pay though... I would have trouble doing so.

Ansaphone
May 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Tomorrow i am going to the hairdresser again to remove one layer. Maybe it won't be ideal but it will be closer to my goal and I don't mind missing a bit of length...

FreakyGreenEyes
May 19th, 2010, 06:22 AM
About 3 months ago I went in for a trim - on a whim of course. Big mistake. The hairdresser gave me this ridiculous line about how great it would be if I donated my hair to LoL. I should have just left then and there but I didn't. I told her I wanted a 1/4 inch taken off the very ends and to leave the layers above (very slight layers mind you) alone. She cut out all of my layers which ended up being about 6 inches. I wanted to run her over with my car. My DH was furious I could tell and actually went in to have a 'talk' with the manager...

My DH has been wonderful about making me feel beautiful about my hair. Now, I'm not sure if he googled something online about how to get your hair to grow longer, but I must say I really am enjoying the scalp massages every other night.

dropinthebucket
May 19th, 2010, 06:29 AM
My worst cuts have been at places like Magicuts. I think they take them off the street with no prior hairdressing experience! Actually, *I* could do a better job! I used to go to someone at a high end salon, back when I was a student and had money to spend on myself (yeah, I know - sounds weird, eh? but now that I'm a mom, I'm much more broke - Lego, Transformers, XBox .... ). "My guy" at the high end salon always did a lovely job. When I couldn't afford the hundred-plus on hair every month, and had some horrors from Magicuts-type places, I finally just decided to start cutting it myself. That's worked out really well - I always get what I want now. ;)

spidermom
May 19th, 2010, 06:52 AM
My hair stylist is awesome, but some of them aren't very good at what they do. I hope you have a growth spurt so that your hair can be back to its former glory in no time.

Word of warning to everybody - don't take your eyes off the stylist until you know you can trust her/him. It's best to say STOP and leave with only one too-short strand.

Angeletti
May 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I had a similar situation years ago, went to hair place to get hair cut and the lady chopped a layer that was at least 8 inches higher then my hemline, and mind you I have fine hair so on me it looked horrible because I don't have a ton of hair to begin with, so lets just say that was the last time I went to get my hair done professionally. hope you can fix your hair!

Armelle
May 19th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Yes, I've had bad experiences up to leaving a hairdresser in tears and going to another one to try to fix the damage. It seems because I have very thick hair that some hairdressers feel they MUST put layers in. Which just really looks awful on me. Needless to say I don't visit hairdressers anymore.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this. Try to keep in mind that it is only temporary.

edit: 'I' was the one in tears, not the hairdresser. She was probably proud of herself. I should clarify.

TrudieCat
May 19th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Oh, I feel your pain, I'm so sorry!! :( This happened to me once. My hair was between APL and BSL and I was hoping for some long, face-framing layers as I grew it out, so I went to a fancy salon armed with pictures of what I wanted, and gave very specific instructions... over $100 later, I had a cut that looked like it had been hacked at with a knife, and that only vaguely resembled what I'd asked for. It was completely uneven. There was no rhyme or reason to it, and the ends were totally frayed from the way she'd cut it.

I went to my old salon and just had the whole thing cut off into a slightly longer than chin-length bob with a few teeny layers, no "thinning" allowed. The second stylist was horrified with the shape of my hair when I came in - I remember she was lifting up pieces of my hair to figure out what to do before the cut and she said "This isn't right! This doesn't make sense!"

It's hard to stand up for yourself when you are in the middle of a cut, though, because it's hard to even see what is happening half the time. Half a second goes by, the stylist makes one fateful snip with the scissors, and suddenly you're missing a 2-inch chunk of hair, and then what do you do? Just have a shorter chunk in that one place? I find also that my hyper-vigilance during hair cuts (the result of the bad cut) seems to stress out most hair dressers. It's like I'm questioning their expertise or something, which I am most definitely not. I just want to feel good about my hair!

The good news is that it grew back. :) I am grateful for that, for sure!

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 07:25 AM
An experienced stylist is the key to beautiful layers. Cheap walk-in chain "salons" are not where you are going to find an experienced stlist who has the skills to create beautiful blended layers. I love my layers so much, but I have had some disasters in the past. You have to be very vocal and very direct about what you want. There are some amazingly talented stylists out there, I have fabulous layers to prove it, but I fully understand the frustration when layers go wrong. Good luck !!!!

GRU
May 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM
And never let them turn you away from the mirror while they cut! What you don't know about CAN hurt you!

Purdy Bear
May 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
:grouphug: Oh I feel for you so much. I went to a hairdressers a long while back for an inch to be taken off, she took 8 inches. This broke my heart as it was almost at waist length (my goal being tail bone length), I consequently went back a few weeks later and had the rest chopped off to shoulder length - to get rid of the rest of the so called damage she said I had.

I was totally miserable, and a very hard person to live with for months afterwards.

ravenreed
May 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I had the opposite happen once. I went in for a trim on my layered hair and she did a blunt cut on me. I was so unhappy that I asked her to redo it and layer it properly. I could not figure out what made her think I would want a blunt cut. Trim means "do the same style I have but shorter," not "do a whole new hairstyle."

beez1717
May 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I kind of feel lucky these days.

I have a nice barber who does what you tell him and it's really simple. He just loves what he does, and the best thing is, he likes to do the simple stuff as well as the not so simple stuff. Heck he likes it that i'm growing out my hair (from what I can infer from his body language)
Yah, cutting off the ends actually works :)

Ansaphone
May 19th, 2010, 07:52 AM
it will be shorther now and I am afraid that more damage will be done... how does it remain one length after a few months, i hope they wont cut layers in it'again... Plus how long do i have to wait for hair to grow from a little below chin length to a little bit over my shoulder? I don;t mind my hair being a bit short as long as it is one length aaahhh.

I am still down over this.

2peasinapod
May 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

I've been the victim of many bad haircuts (I only had one that I actually liked) before I started growing my hair out. When I went in for a trim to even out the "mullet" stage, I had a trusted family member with me both for support and to watch that only what I asked for was being cut (especially the back where I couldn't see).

Do you have a friend or someone willing to go with you when you get it fixed? I hope it grows out soon.

Ansaphone
May 19th, 2010, 08:16 AM
My boyfriend will come with me... so I hope it won;t be worse than it is now. It will not be entirely fixed though, it is too short at the top to cut into a long bob... i will have to wait until that grows out to Shoulder length

ericthegreat
May 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Alright everyone. As a young hairstylist myself, I definitely want to interject that there are in fact many good and trustworthy hairstylists out there. The key to finding a good hairstylist that will listen to what your requests is really all about a good recommendation.

If you have any friends who also have long hair, then of course by all means ask them where they go to get their hair trimmed/cut. Or, if you are a bolder person, if you happen to see a woman on the street who has gorgeous long, well maintained hair then simply go up to her, first compliment her on her hair, and then ask her where she goes to get her hair done. If her stylist gave her such a gorgeous haircut/color, then it would only stand to reason that if you come in as a new client that he or she would do their very best to make you happy with your haircut/color as well. :)

Ansaphone
May 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9FJfgHdp0F8/Sr5OPN0zyrI/AAAAAAAAAqg/EdzD81NRxJI/s400/anne_hathaway_s_long_bob.jpg I want to do my hair like this because how it looks now:http://img261.imageshack.us/i/picture476.jpg/

But idk if it's possible. I do style my hair. The hair stylist over here, do you think this can be fixed? I'm a classy lady, not a person for a chopped cut:(

May
May 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
My worst cuts have been at places like Magicuts. I think they take them off the street with no prior hairdressing experience! Actually, *I* could do a better job! I used to go to someone at a high end salon, back when I was a student and had money to spend on myself (yeah, I know - sounds weird, eh? but now that I'm a mom, I'm much more broke - Lego, Transformers, XBox .... ). "My guy" at the high end salon always did a lovely job. When I couldn't afford the hundred-plus on hair every month, and had some horrors from Magicuts-type places, I finally just decided to start cutting it myself. That's worked out really well - I always get what I want now. ;)

OMG I know what you're talking about when it comes to places like Magicuts ( we have Ultra Cuts here in Canada). I went to one place and she literally pulled all my hair into a high pony tail and chopped and that was IT! I mean no texturizing or anything...so choppy and ugly. I've ended up with VERY short hair in the past due to those terrible, and I use this word loosely, "hairdressers" :P
My best hair was when I self-cut as well :D
In my opinion you get what you pay for when it comes to hair salons. Go to the more expensive place and splurge...at least you won't walk away in tears :(

jane53
May 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I have hair nearly to my butt, and for decades I would tell a new hairdresser that if I saw more than X inches of hair on the floor after my trim, s/he wouldn't get paid.

Then I was walking by a salon one day and looked in and saw a woman with lovely butt-length hair styling hair.

I walked in, made and appointment, and she's been my hair-trim expert ever since.

Tovah
May 19th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I was going to a hairdresser who constantly told me that I shouldn't grow my hair long because it would 'pull my face down'. She kept cutting it into a 'stepford wife bob' each time. I told her that it didn't suit my personality. (don't wear cardigans tied around my shoulder, docksiders and A-line skirts-you know the look) Finally last june I asked her to cut LONG layers into it so on humid days, I could just let it curl without looking like a block head. Well, she chopped me incredibly! I had an important event to go to and I looked horrible.

I haven't had a scissor touch my hair since-well except for the unfortunate time a few months ago when I cut bangs myself. My new hairdresser never suggests that I cut my hair and the women working in the salon all have at least BSL hair. Where my old hair dresser used dye on my hair that stunk and made it break-he uses a non-peroxide, non-ammonia color and only does the roots-no pulling through. I don't know when I will feel comfortable enough to let anyone near my head again with a scissor....maybe in another year.

Hang in there-it will grow out. I just wear my hair up most of the time. I let it down every few months and people are amazed that it grew so much.

kwaniesiam
May 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM
They NEVER listen. Never. "Ends" always mean 10 inches for them. And they'll do whatever they want on your hair, because they have just invented how to cut a hairstyle which they saw in a runway and they will try this idea on your hair. And will want money for ruining your hair.
Find one trusted hairdresser. Or trusted friend for little trims that don't requires special hairdresser's knowledge.

Oh, and you know that if you don't like it, you don't have to pay to the hairdresser? Just prove that it's not a style you wanted, I mean say again what you've said at the beginning, everyone will see it's not the thing you have on your head. Consumer's rights. I know it's mean somehow but we have to fight! :)

Excuse me, but there are some of us here that make a living doing hair or soon will be and while you are entitled to your opinion keep in mind that some may find that a harsh, judgmental generalization like that offensive... Not all of us ignore our clients needs and wants, we're actually taught the opposite. You really think we'd be able to make a living doing this if we never listened to what people wanted? Then no one would get their hair done.

Alright everyone. As a young hairstylist myself, I definitely want to interject that there are in fact many good and trustworthy hairstylists out there. The key to finding a good hairstylist that will listen to what your requests is really all about a good recommendation.

If you have any friends who also have long hair, then of course by all means ask them where they go to get their hair trimmed/cut. Or, if you are a bolder person, if you happen to see a woman on the street who has gorgeous long, well maintained hair then simply go up to her, first compliment her on her hair, and then ask her where she goes to get her hair done. If her stylist gave her such a gorgeous haircut/color, then it would only stand to reason that if you come in as a new client that he or she would do their very best to make you happy with your haircut/color as well. :)

Thank you, Eric, for sticking up for us :flower:

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but I posted this to my blog a while back and feel it may be helpful to some:

I do have to wonder though, how many of these so called victims of horror stories actually really talk to the stylist and explain things thoroughly before sitting in their chair and letting them have at it? At any point during the haircut, you have the power to tell them to stop and to find a different stylist. I know I'm not like most stylists out there, given my prior LHC knowledge before entering beauty school, but when someone is paying you to perform a service for them you listen to what they want. We're taught that the client consultation is one of the most important parts of the service. If your client isn't happy with what you're doing, they aren't going to leave you a tip and are definitely not going to come back to see you.

So if you find yourself facing the dread of the salon chair, here are a few tips to make the experience as LHC friendly as possible.

Try not to go in dreading the experience and expecting to walk out with several unwanted inches lopped off your length. We can tell if you aren't comfortable being there and we can tell if you don't trust us. Chances are, if we know you don't trust us, we're not going to trust you either. Speak up. Am I brushing or combing too hard, scrubbing at your scalp too hard, not using enough conditioner? Let me know, and demonstrate how you prefer to comb out your hair. Better yet, bring your own comb or brush that you prefer to have used. Most stylists have an arsenal of ball-tipped paddle brushes and fine toothed plastic combs because they are cheap and durable. We see lots of heads of hair every day and go through detangling tools like crazy. I've broken 3 brushes and 5 combs in the months I've been in school, not necessarily from rough handling of hair either.

Ask us what we're doing, and show us what you consider "just a trim". We're taught to identify dry, split ends. We might see more ends that could use trimming than you think you even have. It's our job to make your hair look good, the salon manager takes notice of every finished style leaving the salon. So do our fellow stylists and other customers. Letting a customer leave the salon with barley an inch taken off and damp hair does not make us look good, regardless of whether its what you wanted or not so make it clear if you do not want your hair product laden and blowdried, then explain why in a polite way. Please do not bark at us or spew the dangers of heat styling. Chances are, you're the only person we've ever encountered who either knew or particularly cared, especially in the case of one measly session.

In short, be polite and thorough. If you are, we'll be happy to do the same for you. Some of the pushier ones may not, and if that is the case simply request a different stylist until you find one you're more comfortable with. There are thousands of capable stylists out there. If you sit in the chair of one you have a bad feeling about and are not happy with the results, you have no one to blame but yourself.

To the OP, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I suggest looking in to going to a beauty school next time you need a trim. Since we're still learning we tend to be very afraid to make our clients upset and are careful to listen plus under careful watch of our instructors ;)

kitmarlow
May 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I just want to add that in my last haircut experience (which was perfect) I went in scared and managed to get lucky with a stylist who was fresh out of school and knew the great questions to ask. she also wasn't afraid of what could be "dirty" hair to someone else and listened to every word I said in the consultation. too often have I just assumed that the stylist I go to KNOWS what I want (even in the case of two who have known me personally) only to be disappointed. I am no longer afraid to be really thorough.

Also, I think that you could totally have that cut out of what you have, but I also think you could easily just get it trimmed up a little tiny bit and have a great looking cut. Go to another stylist. Make sure you sit in their chair before shampooing and talk for at least ten minutes. You can do it.

Ansaphone
May 20th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Well I am going to the hairdresser today and I have decided to just let it grow out, but I will ask her if there is anything that can make the ayers look less visible... But I am affraid that she had already done the best she could... and I jsut have to wait... because I KNOW that at the moment I would not be happy with a short cut eeither

JenniferNoel
May 20th, 2010, 04:38 AM
I've had some pretty freaky experiences with layers at the salon a while back. It's all about communication, and as said earlier in this and other threads, if the hairdresser refuses to listen, let them know.
It's your hair, it's their job, and you're paying to have them cut your hair.
I went to expensive salons for quite some time, and almost always got what I wanted, there was only one time I ever made it to a walk-in. The first and last time.
Good luck with getting it fixed up, and always remember not to worry, hair does grow, and eventually it will all be "back to normal".

Liss
May 20th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Of all the times I have been to a salon in my life - expensive or otherwise - only two occasions have been good, and two have stood out as horrific. I am very descriptive with what I want as I know a stylist can not read my mind. Whether they listen to me or not is a completely different story.

I would love to just stand up and walk out if too much is cut on the first snip, but my hair is so fine and thin that the first snip is usually about a third of my hair which is almost impossible to disguise.

It is not always legal to walk out without paying. In some countries you need to state that it wasn't what you asked for and claim that you are "paying under protest" then re-claim the payment through consumer affairs. This is where stylists have the upper hand, because who wants to go through that?

My absolute worst cut was in a remote village in Spain. My blunt trim request landed me with a major cut and awful layers. It wasn't until I was leaving that I noticed it was a 'one cut fits all' salon. Everyone that was in there was getting exactly the same cut. With all our different hair types and textures, we all looked a little different, but the salon did not seem to know anything except this one particular style. It did suit the thick, wavy Mediterranean type hair, but it was a limp disaster on my thin, fine, straight hair.

To the OP, if you're planning to grow your hair long, after seeing the links you added, the style you're planning on cutting looks about a year's worth of growth shorter than what you have now. Why not consider micro-trimming while maintaining the length in order to get rid of the layers.

cybernetica
May 20th, 2010, 07:27 AM
My last trim was a nightmare. and now I will never get one again! The woman took thinning scissors and cut chunks of my length off, and now I have random patches of shorter throughout the underside of my hair. Now whenever i braid or do buns I have random bits of hairs poking through. It looks so messy I cant stand it. I could have killed her!

Beesweet
May 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
[QUOTE=Ansaphone;1096649]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9FJfgHdp0F8/Sr5OPN0zyrI/AAAAAAAAAqg/EdzD81NRxJI/s400/anne_hathaway_s_long_bob.jpg I want to do my hair like this because how it looks now:http://img261.imageshack.us/i/picture476.jpg/

Are you saying that the pic in the second link is of you with your hair as it is now?

If so, it's not THAT bad. I wouldn't bob that length just to get rid of the front. I also think that it would grow back rather quickly. I guess I was envisioning lots of terrible layers higher up on the head and through the back. Those take a long time to grow out.

I like to think I am a good communicator. When I go to the hairdresser, I bring pictures of what I want and what I don't want with me. When I say a half an inch, I then ask the stylist to show me with their fingers, what half an inch looks like to him/her. I am realistic about what my hair can do with it's crazy frizz and thickness, so Idon't ask for miracles.

I still have had a number of truly terrible haircuts. I think it is because I have a difficult hair texture to work with. But I still can't figure out how I can be present -- IN THE CHAIR -- with the hairstylist while s/he is totally botching my hair and still not stop it. I guess it's hard to see when wet.

Ansaphone
May 20th, 2010, 09:53 AM
So I got my hair cut only a little, like 3 cm and I have had my layers trimmed indeed. Seemed the third salon i went to spoiled it even MORE so I had to go back to the second :@:@ Now I have to wait about a YEAR to have it even whilst maintaining hair that is at the end of my brastrap... 10 cm shorther than what I had... Ah well. At least it looks a lot more normal now and the choppyness is partially gone. She told me she could not fix it entirely but this is the best that she could do and it looks better, a lot. She'll be my regular hairdresser now I think. And I hope after summer it looks already a lot better!

Miss Misha
May 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I've had similar experiences to the others here in that my salon experiences were, um, uneven. The hardest habit for me to give up is taking a recommendation from a friend and going to their salon because their hairdresser is "fabulous". Yep, if I wanted a product-laden, layer-heavy haircut that takes 20 minutes every morning. Not compatible with my lifestyle at all.

However, every time I have gone to my son's barber (who was ex-husband's before that), she always does a micro-trim, understands the concept of growing out and doesn't think long layers are the answer for baby fine hair, which son and I both have. The longer I'm on LHC, the more I realize that if I'd just gone to her consistently for the past six years since Jr. started getting haircuts, I'd be to tailbone already!

ItalianFlower
May 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
There ARE good hairstylists. My girl is a dream...I come out with hair like 1/2 an inch shorter, beautiful, LIGHT layers for my curls, soft hair... which is why I wait like six months in between going. She is in Vegas, and my University is an eight hour drive/one hour flight from there, so I wait until the end of the semester to get my hair cut. Hehe, but I am so scared to go to someone new. I would go to a new person if my boyfriend came with (and he would) and make sure he could watch him/her cut it and make sure that he/she wasn't going nuts with the length...

Islandgrrl
May 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I think it's a mistake to make blanket statements about the competence of hairstylists when it comes to their ability to work with long hair or listen to their clients. A stylist who routinely disregards the wishes of the person with the wallet isn't going to have much of a business.

There are some amazing stylists out there. I used to have one. He actually talked me OUT of a haircut and into a minimal trim to even my ends when I still had hair to my knees. And the very WORST haircuts I ever got were when I had short hair.

Personally I think the trick is to not walk in cold off the street and expect to get what you want. Every time I've tried that I've been disappointed. What's worked for me every single time is to go into the salon, speak with the stylist and get a feel for their approach. Talk to them first and explain exactly what you want and ask specifically if that's something they feel they can accomplish for you. Developing a relationship with your stylist is, IMO, really important. Maybe some of our resident stylists will weigh in on this concept?

I trim my own hair these days, but if I HAD to get a cut by a stylist, I know exactly where I would go because I've spoken with the guy about what my goals are with my hair and what I would want from a stylist.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and are not happy with the state of your hair. I feel your pain - I too have been there. The good news is that hair grows and yours will, in time, be back where you want it.

Juneii
May 20th, 2010, 11:37 AM
There are good stylists and bad stylists, I'm sorry you had to find a bad one :(
I remember such an experience a while ago, I listened to my dad's advice and went to a hair dresser that charges $5 for a cut (such a bad idea already). I asked for layers and what she did was just take a razor and layered my hair with the shortest layer around shoulder and the longest around waist. HORRIBLE. Not only that they weren't layers but a failed attempt at fairytale ends. Since my hair is thick the shorter strands stuck straight out from the back of my head and the rest hung flat so it looked as if I just spent a couple of hours leaning against a wall and a chunk of my backside got flattened.

I took a look at your picture, it doesn't look bad at all. Don't rush to cut it off so fast, just let it grow and slowly trim to your length. :) thankfully hair grows

YesitsReal
May 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I definitely don't think all stylists are bad. Most of the stylists I've encountered are pretty good, in fact. However, I never go to a stylist if he/she hasn't been recommended by someone I know. The only thing about most stylists that I don't like is that they usually automatically reach for the blowdryers, flat irons, products, and razors (which, really, is what most people want, so I'm not really complaining). The last time I went to a stylist, she straightened my hair, which was ok, since I only get cut once every two months at the most. But then, she asked if I wanted the back thinned, since it was looking a bit heavy. I agreed, and she went after it with a thinning razor before I could stop her. I thought she would use thinning shears. Oops. I like her, though. She is good at what she does, and if I don't make my wishes known, it's my fault.

I used to have a stylist that I absolutely LOVED. She was one of those ladies that did haircuts basically out of her house, and she was great for me. Mostly because she had long hair herself. If I went too long between trims and got split, crunchy ends, she would yell at me about all the length I just lost. I miss her. :pfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Sarah/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Sarah/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

Ansaphone
May 21st, 2010, 05:13 AM
I found a good hairdresser who fixed a little bit of the damage but my hair is very short (a little bit above my chest) and she said that it will take a year!!!! to have my layers grow out.. a whole year:(

Chamomile betty
May 21st, 2010, 05:48 AM
So sorry you had a bad experience.
I think most of us have one time or another.
I know what getting bad layers is all about :(

I go to a barber. She cuts exactly what I ask for. But she had showed me on a comb how much a dusting is and how much a trim is. So we are always on the same page.

Ansaphone
June 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
My hair seems to have grown a tiny bit. It also looks a bit better now. Just 5 weeks to go until my second hairdresser's appointment. I hope she will make my hair look better with every visit

Miss Misha
June 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm glad that your hair is growing out Ansaphone. I think by going to the same stylist who realizes what your goal is will help immensely.

jera
June 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
I have hair nearly to my butt, and for decades I would tell a new hairdresser that if I saw more than X inches of hair on the floor after my trim, s/he wouldn't get paid.

Then I was walking by a salon one day and looked in and saw a woman with lovely butt-length hair styling hair.

I walked in, made and appointment, and she's been my hair-trim expert ever since.

That's so cool. We should all be so lucky. :joy:

SHELIAANN1969
June 8th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I wonder how so many people have terrible experience upon terrible experience? Speak up, stand up and leave if the person isn't listening to you.

This works in many situations, not just hair salons. :shrug:

Communication is important, if you can't convey what you want or say *I don't like that, ouch that hurts, please don't do that* then no one will know what you do or don't like.