PDA

View Full Version : new and clueless!

lilypilly
May 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hi. I've just stumbled upon this forum from another that I fequent (hennatribe). I've got mid to dark brown just below shoulder length hair. I've got some greys that like to poke up at unreasonable angles :P
I do very little with my hair. Its mostly long because i can't be bothered cutting it. Before child #2 and #3 I used to cut it myself, but i just don't have the time or inclination any more. I went through a stage when it was just below my shoulders where I couldn't stand it and was going to get it cut but just didn't get around to it. Now that it's longer, I like it again. We are friends now :D
I have no idea what all the terms mean in the profile, so if someone could direct me? My hair is a little more than fine, pretty thick and most of it is healthy. Bit of wave in humid weather, almost dead straight when the weather is very dry.
I wash it when it seems a bit dull, which i figure is around every 4 days or so? depends on hormones though. I hardly brush it, ever. I usually comb it when its wet and leave it at that. It doesn't really tangle much.
Because I have thick fine hair. there's a lot of the suckers. So I look like i'm going bald every time i wash it as I loose so much as it is drying. Especially now that its longer, makes it look like so much more! I know that if i brushed it I would get rid of them in smaller lots, rather than big wads (yuk)
I don't usually condition when I wash, sometimes use a leave in conditioner if I have time.

geeze, this is getting long! I've never rambled on about my hair so much before :D

So I would like to start being nice to my hair, since we are friends now but don't really know where to start.

Miss Murphy
May 9th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hi, and welcome! :)

I know, at first everything here can be a bit intimidating and overwhelming.

What I would recommend to you is Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39). A great compendium with everything you ought to know to get you started.

florenonite
May 9th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Welcome! I've also got fine, thick hair, and I only brush it the night before a wash (with a Boar's Bristle Brush preceded by a combing) in hopes of stretching out the washing one more day (the BBB distributes the oils, and by morning they've sometimes soaked in enough that I don't need to wash after all). Thus when I brush I end up with loads of hair coming out. It's really nothing to worry about, it's just an annoyance.

I second the suggestion to read Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice. There's loads of good tips in there!

lilypilly
May 9th, 2008, 03:48 PM
ok, so where can i find out what the profile codes mean?
thanks ladies!

Nightshade
May 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hey, welcome to LHC!

The profile codes are part of Fia's Hairtyping system (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) that lets us know the texture, thickness, and general hair type of one another. It's helpful for finding members with hair similar to your own.

Also, here is the list of common abbreviations and terms you'll find on the site (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10) :)

It's a pleasure to meet another henna fan! If you're interested in what I've put together about henna on hair you're welcome to check out the article linked in my siggy! :flowers:

happylynngilmer
May 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Welcome lilypilly! Don't worry, we were all new and clueless once LOL
The articles section is a great place to start!