PDA

View Full Version : Micro Braid Mohawk!

argyle
May 19th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Ok, I need some input. Next month I'm going to Mexico for app. 2 weeks and I don't want to totally fry my hair while I'm there. In the past (like many years ago) I would get my hair done on the beach, at least the top part, in microbraids, then put the rest in a ponytail when I'm out and about or swimming. The problem is that it hurt my scalp really bad. I was careful to put sunscreen in between the braids but the braids were really tight and just hurt very bad.

I was thinking about getting a style this time like this

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo66/mintspics/How-to-Create-a-Braided-Mohawkjpg.jpg
(photo is not mine, it's from here (http://hairstyleschat.com/tag/mohawk-micro-braids))

I have a few concerns and I want some honesty here:

a) is my hair too long for this style? I was thinking it looks very edgy and perfect for vacation, since it's not something I would get my hair cut to, nor would I style it like this regularly

b) is it going to destroy my hair if i get this style?

c) how do you think this style would look if I got the microbraids on the side and then did a french braid down the top?

mostly im looking for something fun, not very damaging, but I don't want to look like a fool, either.

let me know what you are thinking :o

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 01:24 AM
If you have had pain and scalp issues before, I think you will have the same result with this style. Those micro braids are going to have to be TIGHT, ouch ! That's not good for your hair. And I do think your hair is too long to achieve this type of look. To get some lift and volume on top would require maintenance daily.
My hair is super long and when I go on vacation I am always snorkeling and scuba diving. I find a regular french braid to be my best option for protecting my hair and I use a leave in spray with sunblock too. Not exactly a fun or funky style, but gets the job done and looks pretty :)

argyle
May 19th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Weeell, I wouldn't be leaving the hair on top free, otherwise it would just drape down so so far and get in my face and stuff. So I would definitely do a braid down the top. I'm also entertaining the idea of having my sister do the braids before vacation, that way if it is painful I have some time to get used to it without suffering on vacation. I'm really not sure though.... *sighs*

Dreams_in_Pink
May 19th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Hm.
That style looked way too edgy actually. It involves microbraids all on the sides and flatiron-hairgel operation on the wispy ends sticking out. You'll need to apply tons of hairspray-gel to your ends, which will be a hell to wash out later :/

Do you have to go this funky? If you want something really funky, you could try a variation of this 'do here: link (http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip325.htm)

Plain Jane
May 19th, 2010, 03:51 AM
i've had the same problem myself and it just doesnt get easier, its also very hard on your hair and scalp. Depending on how long you wear it you will most probably experience a minor/major moult/shedd because of the shock your hair & scalp goes through with such an extreme change. You may even experience some baldness in spots. Women who braid their hair on a regular basis usually end up with some hair loss but since youre only doing it once it will most probably be temporary. Also make sure to use some kind of very good sunscreen on your scalp that shows thru or you will get a major sunburn on your scalp and you will definitely not be happy with that. I would suggest using a few protective cute hats.

BelleBot
May 19th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I think that style would work on any length to be honest, providing you plan to braid the centre hair down the back (either dutch or french style) instead of styling it in a mohawk. I find micro braids very little maintenance, the only high maintenance part of the hair style you posted is the mohawk which would require back combing, flat ironing and copious amounts of product. Leave that part out and I think it would be a very manageable style.
The main thing with microbraids is deep condition and oil your hair before braiding it and mist them everyday with water and a leave in conditioner. Pre oiling should hopefully give the hair enough slip to create the appearance of neat tight braids, yet because it's slippery hopefully it can't be pulled quite so tight as dry hair can be. And obviously make sure you put sunscreen on the visible parts of your scalp.

If you'd had scalp problems before, it's likely you'll get them again. If your sister is doing the braids, get her to make them slightly bigger and fatter and not quite as tight. It'll look messier quicker, but hopefully shouldn't hurt as much.

In terms of how damaging it is, depends on how you look after it and how tightly braided it is. I've never had a problem when I've had microbraids but I was pretty vigilant with keeping my hair moisturised and I have never had an issue with them being too tight either. Mind you after taking them out you'll notice a lot of shedding simply because it's not been able to shed naturally for however long you've had the braids. You can get bald patches if braided too tightly mind you.
The mohawk bit would be the most damaging, but it sounds like you're skipping that bit anyway.

mwedzi
May 19th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I think you could do it, especially if you plan to just braid the hair at the top in a french braid. But it is true that people tend to braid cornrows too tight. Not everyone does, but I think it's the norm, and your chances of finding someone without a referral who can be gentle may not be the best. Do you have a referral for someone who will do your hair?

Also, how often do you plan to wash your hair? How long did you keep them in last time? In my limited knowledge, cornrows on straight hair start to look messy fairly quickly, especially if the person washes them often. Will you be swimming every day? Will you wear a swim cap? If they are going to be getting wet very often, they likely will not last (meaning, look nice) for two weeks. You might consider getting the cornrows to be bigger than that. They will get messy, too, but they will be quicker and easier to redo. Google "cornrow mohawk" to get some pictures.

argyle
May 19th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hmm, well I will be swimming very often, but not going under the water (because of my ears). My hair just gets very very unruly in hot weather. It tangles and matts and breaks horribly. I was thinking if I keep my hair done up so I don't have to brush it or anything, it might be easier to take care of.

dreamsinpink the style you posted is too edgy for me lol! I dont want to look like a runway model... ;)

im looking at cornrow mohawk pics and trying to find something that I want to replicate. the problem is that I don't have that hair type that most people have who get these styles, I have very oily shiny hair...I'm imagining the style in my head, I just need to find a picture of it :)

kwaniesiam
May 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Honestly? You don't have the right hair type for it. I've noticed that unless you have unusually thick hair, styles that require small partings tend to show off a lot of wide scalp and cause your hair to look thin. Your hair is also probably too long and you wouldn't be able to style it like that without an awful lot of hair spray and product.