PDA

View Full Version : OH. MY. (hypno bun)

intothemist1999
May 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Forget my thread about getting a lazy wrap to do its thing, I just discovered the HYPNO bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q&feature=related)!

(eta: don't get me wrong, I LOVE the lazy wrap and the way it looks, but it's not working for me these days)

I was looking up something else, and I couldn't resist the name of this one...Hypnotica!! :D

It looks so amazing! It's like a celtic knot, something like this. (http://www.wirewrapjeweler.com/gallery-earrings/images/65_er282_Celtic-knots.jpg)

It's big, it doesn't look tight, doesn't look like a knob, it's BEAUTIFUL!!

I've got one stick in and it feels so solid...I'm shaking my head like mad and nothing's moving! I love it!

marikamt
May 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I think that is a member...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=11091

teela1978
May 18th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Mine never looks as good as hers. I end up with a bunch of random messy hairs that didn't split into the 2 groups on the sides. I wish it worked better on my hair.

Gumball
May 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I love when a new style works just right. Whoohoo for you, intothemist1999!

Loreley
May 19th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah, that bun looks awesome! :D

FrannyG
May 19th, 2010, 04:22 AM
It really is a beautiful updo. I'm happy that it works for you. Pictures? Please?

Igraine
May 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I so loooved the music background :D And that bun is definitely work a try! Just that... did anyone at classic length have good success with it? :-?

Rentlle
May 19th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I do that bun really often! I have it even in my hair right now.. XD
it's a big bun, not to tight, and soooo beautiful and easy to do :)
I'm happy she (hypnotica) invented it! it's really great :)

Loreley
May 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Igraine, it works for me. I'm a bit past classic. It's the most secure bun I've ever tried. :D

Igraine
May 19th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Great, Loreley! Now I'm looking forward to try it!

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Love the video ! She makes it look so easy ! I can't get this to work for me :( Maybe it's my layers ? Or too much hair overall ? Hmmmm......... Gonna keep trying.....

tyrant1100
May 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Usually, buns with more complexity than the typical twisting and pinning (ex: Cinnabun) tug my hair and I can't do them right off the bat. This bun is different in that it never fails, is always comfortable, and I was able to do it the first time I tried it. Amazing!

Hypnotica
May 19th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I suppose I have to say "thank you for this thread" because I have kind of forgotten about this bun! :blush:

After my trim, it stopped working for me as I wasn't used to blunt ends but it seems that I can do it again now :)

Uinda
May 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
wow, tried it for the first time and it looks great!! so easy to do, perfect for work and everything else too. I'm in love!

Arual
May 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I love this bun too! Could do with a lot more practice though! I'll keep trying.

intothemist1999
May 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I was able to do it the first time last night, too...and more importantly, do it again and again to test it. So many times I can get it right the first time then never can recreate it (like the figure 8, that one eludes me).

If it helps any of you having a bit of trouble with it, if you keep "feeling"it as you go and poke your fingers around to get the shape, it may help. Also, maybe not do the first twist too tight? I find this one is easiest to do all by feel.

Charlotte:)
May 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I LOVE this bun! Mine never looks as nice, but it's one of the few buns my hair will actually hold :)

SheaLynne
May 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
This is my all-time favorite go-to bun..and I had the same reaction you did when I found it! I LOVE it!!!

Here's one of my first tries last fall (waist length):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=62300&albumid=4802&dl=1265580738&thumb=1

and here's a goofy pic of a hypno bun from above...makes it look huge!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=68584&albumid=4802&dl=1270491865&thumb=1

Haha...

Thanks to Hypnotica for the great video tutorial and sharing this great updo with us!

RoseRedDead
May 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I did it for the first time today! But I broke a hairstick first. :( Don't worry, it was a plastic cheapie, but still...

Arctic_Mama
May 19th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Oh yes, Hypnotica is a long-time member here and has done some GREAT Youtube tutorials. I am waiting for a little more length to do that one on my thick hair, though :)

jasper
May 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I tried this one today, and it worked, but I could tell from the start that it wasn't going to hold long. Made it through a couple of hours, but i had to re-do and went with the ole lazy wrap. I like this bun, but I need to figure out how to insert the stick so it stays better.

LaurelSpring
May 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I havent looked at this one for awhile. Now that my hair is waist I should give it another go. I love hypnotica's videos. I am a subscriber!

BelleBot
May 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I did it for the first time today! But I broke a hairstick first. :( Don't worry, it was a plastic cheapie, but still...
Snap! The first time I tried this bun I broke a hairstick, cheap plastic one too. Stick munching bun. I love this bun, it's fantastic, I use it all the time.

katana
May 19th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I love this bun! I actually just shove the stick straight through with this bun, and it stays and stays and stays for me! The only problem now is that my hair is long enough that I have a tail, drat it.

If people are having problems, could it be because Hypnotica is left handed?

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Any suggestions on where I can find hair sticks that won't snap easily ? I just broke the only three I owned trying this. Do I have too much hair for something like this, or were my sticks just junk ?

katana
May 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Any suggestions on where I can find hair sticks that won't snap easily ? I just broke the only three I owned trying this. Do I have too much hair for something like this, or were my sticks just junk ?

Er - you're just sticking it straight in, right? not the usual point away and then slide it around and poke through?

Make the knot a bit looser?

Try with metal chopsticks, or a metal knitting needle?

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I am just putting it in straight but when it gets to the bulk of my hair I have to apply some pressure, and they crack.

SheaLynne
May 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Ooh, I forgot, but I also broke a stick the first time I tried this one (cheap plastic stick, too). I have found I do have to make sure the bun is looser than I would normally think it would need to be (does that make sense?), and really pull the sides of the split loop (that the stick goes through) out as far as I can (when it was shorter, it was completely to the point that if I pulled farther the ends would start coming out). And, as previously posted, not "lever" the stick as much as in other updos. I kind of twist the stick through rather.

Hope that makes enough sense to help a bit. I have no problems with this bun holding *all* day long. I, too, am beginning to have a tail due to more length, but I'm going to figure out how to wrap that under because I'm not giving up my hypno bun anytime soon!

katana
May 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Ooh, I forgot, but I also broke a stick the first time I tried this one (cheap plastic stick, too). I have found I do have to make sure the bun is looser than I would normally think it would need to be (does that make sense?), and really pull the sides of the split loop (that the stick goes through) out as far as I can (when it was shorter, it was completely to the point that if I pulled farther the ends would start coming out). And, as previously posted, not "lever" the stick as much as in other updos. I kind of twist the stick through rather.

Hope that makes enough sense to help a bit. I have no problems with this bun holding *all* day long. I, too, am beginning to have a tail due to more length, but I'm going to figure out how to wrap that under because I'm not giving up my hypno bun anytime soon!

I love this bun with one of the double spiral sticks. :D (Chevelure).

You can wrap the tail at the base of the bun - under the knot of the bulk of the hair....

UltraBella
May 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Ugh ! I want this to work so bad ! It's really neat looking.
I just can't seem to get this to work for me *sigh*. It seems like my hair is too bulky and my layers are also working against me.

maskedrose
May 25th, 2010, 10:05 AM
oooo I just tried this for the first time because of this thread! I got it on the second go-round and it looks fantastic :) I've been a bit of a dud in the updo department lately, so hopefully this will spark some creativity...or at least give me a prettier daily updo than my claw clip cinnabun...