PDA

View Full Version : When do you put on coconut oil?

christine1989
May 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Do you use it when your hair is wet, damp or dry? What have you found creates the best results?

ArienEllariel
May 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
wet/damp works best for me. Otherwise it makes my hair look gross and greasey.

cardamom
May 18th, 2010, 10:26 PM
At the tips soon after washing,and along the length and canopy on the day of CWC,when it is damp or dry.Once or twice a week,on scalp with sweet almond oil and castor oil(1 drop each)for a massage prior to CWC.:)

princessp
May 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I used to put it on wet, then I read a thread on here (under the very important threads) to put it on dry an inch or so below the scalp. So now that is what I do and it work great.

clichepithet
May 19th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Oil = Damp. From ears down. Patted onto ends and work my way up. IE: Rub into palms/hands and play with ends, rub hands together, repeat, rub hands together, then finger comb progressively upward.

Masara
May 19th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I can only really use it as a prewash treatment. If I only use a very small amount on dry hair, it will probably be absorbed, but I have to be very careful not to use too much. It doesn't matter how little I use on damp/wet hair, it always makes it look limp and greasy.

Amelia
May 19th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I've been using it as a pre-wash. I'll oil my hair the day previous to my wash day. I have been having good results with it. Yesterday though, i used a little amount on my ends( damp hair), because they felt a bit dry.

Theobroma
May 19th, 2010, 03:10 AM
After washing when it's still quite wet. Also on dry hair on one or two days in between washes. My hair seems to love the stuff any way it can get it!

kelly-j
May 19th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I put on my coconut oil in dry hair in the morning. Then I put up hair or braid it. Then I wash it in the evening.

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I like to use coconut oil few hours before washing on dry hair, or during the washing on wet hair, then I wash my hair with shampoo.

IcarusBride
May 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I use it both damp and dry. Whenever I feel I need it, anywhere from daily to 2x/week, whatever condition my hair's at at the time. I don't do it on WET hair, but only damp (nearly dry). Coconut Oil on damp hair makes it really shiny after. On dry hair it soaks in easier.

elina333
May 19th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I use it every way possible :D First of all, I do a heavy oiling the night before wash (which is about every 2-3 days). Then I put a little bit on my ends and length after washing, while its wet. And then sometimes I put a little bit on dry hair I feel that its needed. My hair really loves this stuff and EATS it. Literally. It just disappears sometimes! :magic:

Armelle
May 19th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I was wondering about this too but wow that's alot of answers! It looks like we should try different methods to see what works best for us.

jel
May 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Coconut oil can make my ends crunchy if I put it on after washing. For me, it works best as a pre-wash treatment - either a heavy oiling on its own, or part of Caramel treatment.

luckyduck
May 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have been using a very small amount in the mornings on my hair and then styling in a braid or bun. I only started using it this week though, so I am working it out as I go. My hair really seems to like it, I only use a very small amount at a time, rub it between my palms, just a shine there, and them starting at the ends and work my way up the length. I have learned a ton of happy hair tips in just a few short days.

Brenda714
May 19th, 2010, 08:06 PM
thanks Amelia for answering my question of when to put it on. I've been looking for coconut oil as something I could leave in with it twisted up one day and wash the next. Cool!

Breen
May 19th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I use it on my hair when it's still pretty wet after a wash. Sometimes, though, I'll dampen my ends and rub some coconut oil through them before I braid.

pineconejg
May 19th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I do it on dry hair for an hour or so before shampoo washing, and when it is damp. I also put it on the tassel of my braid.

JG

kitmarlow
May 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I must be an oddball. I put it in my roots at my temples and through the ends nearly every day after my hair is dry. I also use it to moisturize all my skin.

ChloeDharma
May 20th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I must be an oddball. I put it in my roots at my temples and through the ends nearly every day after my hair is dry. I also use it to moisturize all my skin.

Nope, you are not an oddball. Others here (me included) put coconut and other oils on their scalps and massage it in. This is common practise in India as it is done to encourage growth :)

snowbird
May 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I've been using this lately as well, I rub a SMALL amount between my palms and run over my ends after drying off with a towel. If I use too much my hair feels yucky

beachlover
May 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know very much about coconut oil but I'm interested in getting some. Where do you find it and what should I look for???? Are any brands better than others??? I know you can find olive oil in the cooking section. Sorry, like I said I'm not familiar with using oils for the hair. The only time I've used any oils is when I was a teenager and they had this stuff called VO5 Hot Oil Treatment, I used that a few times way, way back. It's so nice how much info I've learned on here since joining.

honeybrown1976
May 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
While I use it on all three, I like using it on wet/damp hair better.

pineconejg
May 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I also use it on my legs, feet, and elbows.

With fine, light-colored hair, I find that oil on dry hair usually looks super dirty.

JG

Cirafly24
May 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM
The day before wash day, I usually dampen my hair with a mix of water and aloe vera gel, then put coconut oil from below my ears to the ends. I feel like dampening it first helps the oil seal in the moisture. Plus, my hair totally loves AVG. It just soaks it up and feels so soft.

Lavina
May 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I put on coconut oil in dry hair in the evening, then I wash it in the morning.

Kalyca
May 20th, 2010, 08:58 PM
i use it on my hair before a wash. otherwise my hair just looks greasy and limp.. I've tried it on both wet and dry washed hair and it just doesn't work for me.. =/

jane53
May 21st, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hmmmm.

Where does one get coconut oil?

I use an oily hair serum (Garnier Fructis, at the moment) after I wash my hair. When it's wet--just towel-blotted--I massage it into my ends and then more lightly through the rest of my hair. My hair is between waist and tailbone with no real problem with split ends. Maybe coconut oil would have the same effect more naturally.

BattahZ
May 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM
I use it all the time! On wet ends after a shower, to scrunch out the crunch when my hair is just a smidge wet, in the evenings on my ends, and all over in the morning on non-wash days.

I think how much you use and how totally depends on how your hair reacts to it. Mine seems to absorb it pretty quickly, so I can apply to dry hair for 3 days in a row before it seems greasy, and even then, it only seems greasy to me.

Calaelen
May 21st, 2010, 08:40 AM
I use it as a pre-wash on dry hair. lightly saturating at least the last 8 inches of length. I try to leave it for several hours, to overnight, then I wash. This works well as a deep treatment.

For dry ends I spray the last 5 inches of my length with Morrocco Method Diamond Crystal Mist and/or Volumizing mist until quite damp, then I apply the coconut oil to the damp part. For me, this works very well and it all gets absorbed leaving my hair soft and shiny.

breezefaerie
May 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
I use it as a pre-wash also, really soaking my length and ends in it. I wash the next morning.

As of yet, I haven't figured out a way to use it without my hair looking greasy.

teela1978
May 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
I also use it as a pre-wash treatment. I don't often use it after washing, its too easy to use too much and end up with a greasy, stringy mess. Makes my ends very happy as a pre-wash though :)

Where to buy: Health food stores, whole foods, sorta 'alternative' grocery stores, indian grocery stores, wal-mart (virgin coconut oil by the vitamins, refined in the cooking section).

Jessikinz
May 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
After my shower I put it on my ends and any oil that is left on my hands I smoothe it over my scalp hairs. Then my hair goes in a towel turban to dry for 10-15 mins. Sometimes when my scalp is feeling dry and itchy I will put some on my scalp and massage it in. Focusing on any dry patches. I leave it on for a few hours or the entire day and wash my hair.

Sunny_side_up
May 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM
On the ends of my freshly washed hair after patted with a towel:)

FreakyGreenEyes
May 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
I put it on my ends right after a shower...twice a week though, hehe, I generally slather my hair in it and put a scarf over my head. I shower it off with some warm water afterwards.

Seanymph
May 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
I use coconut oil as a pre-wash. The day before I apply the coconut oil to damp hair, from scalp to ends. Put in 4 twist, and wrap my hair up. I don't like how oil feels on dry hair(crunchy).

GRU
May 21st, 2010, 08:28 PM
Just a heads-up for newbies buying it -- it's probably going to be a solid (looks like shortening or "Crisco") in a jar rather than a liquid in a bottle.

It will melt VERY easily in warmer temperatures. I wasn't paying attention once (was oiling while watching tv) and the little container was on my lap. Found out the hard way that it had melted just from my body heat, right through my clothes and the plastic container (still have the grease stain on those pants from when I tipped it over, but I saved the couch!).

adiapalic
May 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Preferably damp, and sometimes wet. I tend to avoid putting it on completely dry hair, because it seemed to only make them feel "crunchy".

Stevy
May 22nd, 2010, 04:49 AM
I use it as a pre-wash on dry hair, and I put a tiny bit on my ends after I wash, whilst the hair's damp. My hair seems to like it wet or dry, but it's easier for me to tell whether I've put the right amount on dry hair.

jane53
May 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
If you're my age or in the vicinity, you might remember those Breck's Cream Rinse ads about how it had coconut oil in it. This was in addition to the classic "Breck Girl" ads for the shampoo. The conditioner ads featured a beautiful Polynesian woman with thick, tailbone-length hair. Those ads were in the mid to late 60s, I think.

Forever_Sophie
May 22nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I use it when my hair is dry, in the morning when I'm styling it. I use a tiny bit in place of silicone-serums to add shine :)

luckyduck
May 22nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
I got mine at a health food store. I just asked for it, and they took me right to it! It will be solid, but once it touches your skin it melts, pretty cool. I use it daily am on the length of my hair,before styling, but I only use a very small amount. I wash 2x weekly.

Jean Stuart
May 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Wet, dry all the time.

Debra83
May 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
If you're my age or in the vicinity, you might remember those Breck's Cream Rinse ads about how it had coconut oil in it. This was in addition to the classic "Breck Girl" ads for the shampoo. The conditioner ads featured a beautiful Polynesian woman with thick, tailbone-length hair. Those ads were in the mid to late 60s, I think.

That's hilarious that you mention Breck. I dreamt about Breck shortly after joining this site. My mom used to get it when I was young. I don't remember the ingredients at all though. Is it still around?

Jean Stuart
May 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
That's hilarious that you mention Breck. I dreamt about Breck shortly after joining this site. My mom used to get it when I was young. I don't remember the ingredients at all though. Is it still around?

I saw it at dollar general the other day and prell

oceanwoman111
May 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I saw it at dollar general the other day and prell

:lol: Prell. Flashback! What about Pert?

half*pass
May 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
I buy my coconut oil on ebay :)

sibiryachka
May 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I can only really use it as a prewash treatment. If I only use a very small amount on dry hair, it will probably be absorbed, but I have to be very careful not to use too much. It doesn't matter how little I use on damp/wet hair, it always makes it look limp and greasy.

This, exactly. It took me months to figure out. I've also found that if I start 24-36 hours before a planned washing, and apply a barely-pea-size blob of my coconut oil/shea butter/castor oil blend, it will be absorbed within about 12 hours; then I apply the same amount again, and that too will be absorbed within the same amount of time. One of these days I'd like to experiment to see just how many times I can repeat ;)

curls2grow
May 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
I apply it at night before bed, to dry hair. I put a lot on and then go to sleep. It comes out well in the morning, wether I CO wash or WO wash.

sandrak
May 27th, 2010, 06:11 AM
My hair usually hates coconut oil but loves my new conditioner I make. I use 8 tsp. aloe vera to 1 tsp. coc. oil. I mix this up really well and it becomes white and creamy. I use this after shampooing like a regular conditioner. I apply to my hair from the ears down and leave it on while I finish my shower. Then I rinse well. Somestimes I apply it also as a leave in. There is no greasies or crunchiness at all so far.

myotislucifugus
May 27th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I put it on when hair is wet occasionally, but not always. I usually put it on when it is dry in the morning, before putting it up for the day. I just get mine at WalMart. I'm so excited about the warm weather... It has turned to liquid in the jar instead of a solid. Love it.

I've noticed that if I put it in when the hair is wet the hair feels different, maybe a little bit clumpier, but when the hair is dry it soaks in nicely.

09robiha
May 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
In every way possible :) My hair eats product, conditioner and any kinda of oil but especially loves coconut and jojoba. Sometimes I use it pre wash and really soak my hair in it over night, sometimes I apply it to freshly CO-ed soaking wet hair to 'oil seal' it if I remember but mostly I apply it to the ends a length.

Dragon
June 29th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I put it in dry hair the night befor I wash it.

lesbia
June 29th, 2010, 03:25 AM
If you put oils on wet hair they fix the water in the hair..:)

UP Lisa
June 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Before coloring.

squiggyflop
July 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
i use it sometimes on dry hair an hour or so before washing..

Capybara
July 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I use coconut oil on dry hair as a leave in, and olive oil as a pre-wash treatment.

issalynn
July 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I do overnight treatments with coconut oil. I find that if I use it daily, my hair becomes heavy and the ends feel brittle. So every 2 weeks I mix some coconut oil with honey and leave it in overnight. In the morning I cowash to get the honey out, then I shampoo and condition. Since I started this it's made my hair a lot easier to manage.

HintOfMint
July 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
The biggest difference I have noticed is when I put it on after an SMT. I don't think I've ever felt my underlayer this smooth before.

As a pre-wash heavy oiling, it was okay. I didn't notice too much conditioning, to be honest.

jane53
July 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
never!!!!!

Sammich
July 14th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I've found putting it on wet hair results in soft silky hair when it's dried! :D (after I've put on leave in condish of course, the oil locks in the moisture.)

bigeyedgirl829
July 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I use it as a pre-wash and on damp hair. Oh and on my braid tassels at night. It doesn't make my ends so scrunchy!