PDA

View Full Version : Another braid thread! (My goal achieve)

yellowchariot
May 18th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I was too busy making french and dutch braids, due to having very short hair while waiting on it to grow, that I forgot about doing a simple English Braid. Now that my hair is long enough I can finally make one! It was long enough a few months ago!

This has been one of my main goals, to actually have enough length at the nape of the neck to do a simple braid.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/SimpleEnglishBraid10.jpg?t=1274237763

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/SimpleEnglishBraid12.jpg?t=1274237794

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/SimpleEnglishBraid5.jpg?t=1274237823

This was done on dry hair. However I have noticed that if I braid after I get out of the shower, I can manage more crossovers/plaits, as I reach down to the tail. :D I'll post a wet braid pic later!

Peter
May 18th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Awesome looking braid, man!

Angeletti
May 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM
grats on reaching your goal, english braids are nice in the fact that they are so much easier also : )

ericthegreat
May 18th, 2010, 09:25 PM
You're definitely achieving a lot more length within this past year. Now that your have more length, your braids will look a lot more impressive and you won't have to work as hard to get all the loose shorter hairs in since they too have grown out long enough to be braided in.

I also like your natural color......in some lights it looks like a dark sandy blonde and in a darker light it looks more like a light brown. Keep on the growing. :rockerdud:

yellowchariot
May 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Awesome looking braid, man!

Thanks Peter!

grats on reaching your goal, english braids are nice in the fact that they are so much easier also : )

Angeletti, they are very easy to do quickly, to keep your hair back. However I am still trying to find a simple way of getting 3 equal sections! I always miscalculate how much to section off.

yellowchariot
May 18th, 2010, 09:29 PM
You're definitely achieving a lot more length within this past year. Now that your have more length, your braids will look a lot more impressive and you won't have to work as hard to get all the loose shorter hairs in since they too have grown out long enough to be braided in.

I also like your natural color......in some lights it looks like a dark sandy blonde and in a darker light it looks more like a light brown. Keep on the growing. :rockerdud:

^ Thanks Erick,

Any tips on getting my 3 sections well proportioned? It's funny, because I don't have a problem getting them even on top, when I do a french/dutch braid. . . :confused:

ericthegreat
May 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I actually just first divide my hair into three random sections. But I don't braid with these three sections. I feel each and every single section, and I feel which section has a thicker amount of hair and which section has a lesser amount of hair. I carefully hold each three sections divided and I feel around and I find out which section has thicker hair and I gently lend some hair over to the next section which obviously must have thinner hair. I make sure I equalize enough hair for all three sections and I only start braiding when I can feel that each three sections has an equal amount of hair. :)

ukuleleclaire
May 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Awesome braid! Your hair looks so healthy and shiny!

I also have problems getting my sections evenly proportioned, especially when I do french or dutch braids. Eric, I'm going to have to try your method.

Gumball
May 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Score one for you, yelllowchariot! I was just as excited when I hit that point, but before that I could only do a little not-pulled-through pony loop. Haha.

Naamah
May 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Your braid looks great, and your hair looks so shiny and healthy!

serious
May 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Awesome braid!
Congratulations!

YesitsReal
May 19th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Wow! Your braid looks better than most of mine! :D

You said you had trouble with evenness of sections. When sectioning off hair to braid, I usually find that my right-hand section (my dominant hand, and the first section I pull out) ends up a bit smaller than the other two, so I have to be careful to pull a little bit more than I think I need. It seems like there's always one section small, and the other two are relatively even. Just try to figure out your small section and pull a little more than you normally would (I hope that makes sense). Also, when you section your hair before beginning to braid, you can always pull your hands (and hair) above your head to look in the mirror and make sure your sections are even. Eventually, your hands will get to know how even sections feel. HTH. :flower:

Loreley
May 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Congrats! It looks lovely! :smile:

argyle
May 19th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Your hair looks so shiny and healthy and beautiful! So jealous :-/

kelly-j
May 19th, 2010, 03:44 AM
That braid looks great!

Elphie
May 19th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Very nice braid, yellowchariot! Simple and it looks good!

Henrietta
May 19th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Congratulations! Your braid is pretty long already! And you have so healthy hair... :)

yellowchariot
May 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM
^ I appreciate everyone's the compliments, and thanks for those tips on separating even sections! I normally take my fingers and use the "peace" sign to get my even 3, when I'm braiding at the top. However, it is not that easy when you start from the bottom :D.

I've also noticed that I can squeeze in more crossovers when my hair is wet. I've been doing this to let my hair air dry, and it's most convenient as well. :thumbsup:

breezefaerie
May 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Very nice braid! Your hair is so shiny and healthy looking:)

Heavenly Locks
May 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
:hifive:

YEAH! It looks great buddy :)

DarkChocolate
May 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Your braid looks so much thicker:) I love your honey blonde color too:)

GoddesJourney
May 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Ha! I knew that braid would thicken up! The nape hair is coming in quite nicely, too. Soon, you'll be able to get it all in there without it falling out. I'm glad you ended up not dying it. It looks happy in its natural state.

cmnt831
May 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Congratulations on reaching your goal! Your braid looks very nice. :)

little_cherry
May 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome braid! Well done! ^_^

spidermom
May 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
All those guys who complain "but I don't know how to braid!" - we'll just send them to you. It appears you have it down. Oh - and congratulations on reaching a goal.

3azza
May 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Yayyyyy, congrats. I also love ur french and dutch braids, but it's good to have more options. It's always good to be able to do a simple braid.

sibiryachka
May 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Congratulations on making a goal - isn't that the best feeling? Your braid looks great, very distinguished with the beard. We approve : )

SpinDance
May 19th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Very nice! It is a challenge to get the parts equal. I always have to resection a few times to get them equal.

restourceful
May 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Way to go, YC! I love it when you achieve a goal and don't even realize it until way after the fact. :happydance:

I even up my sections exactly like Eric does. :agree:

And I'm another one who is glad you didn't change from your natural lovely color. You rock! :rockerdud

frizzalot
May 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
congrats :) it looks like the braid has retained its' thickness to the tips as well... lucky!

david
May 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Good work on the braid dude. Always easy to overlook the simple English braid, although it has become one of my daily styles.

BrightEyes7
May 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Great job! I do my english braids by parting my hair before. There was an article on it I think but I can't seem to find it. I'm sure a more savvy LHC-er will find it!

Tangerine
May 19th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Awesome braid, yellowchariot!

yellowchariot
May 20th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I appreciate the comments, Everyone!

It's funny how you keep a mindset of a certain goal length, yet forget to try different do's, along the way, until you reach your goal!

yellowchariot
May 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Here is the pic that I said, I would post, of my hair wet just out of the shower. I can English braid better with wet hair, but the French/Dutch part refuses to cooperate with a wet head.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/WetEnglishBraid1.jpg?t=1274403116

pinkbunny
May 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, I've been toying with a couple ideas I had for braid tutorials - not exactly how to braid, but little tricks I've learned to braid better. It seems like even if I start off with well-balanced sections, sometimes taper (and once upon a time, layers) will make them uneven further down. I found a way to "redistribute" hair in the length of my braids without it changing the pattern - I must get to work!

yellowchariot
May 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hmmm, I've been toying with a couple ideas I had for braid tutorials - not exactly how to braid, but little tricks I've learned to braid better. It seems like even if I start off with well-balanced sections, sometimes taper (and once upon a time, layers) will make them uneven further down. I found a way to "redistribute" hair in the length of my braids without it changing the pattern - I must get to work!

^ That sounds like an excellent idea! I also had the same issues with this one!

Capybara
May 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Wow, that looks great! Congratulations :)

I find that taper will sometimes ruin a braid too, even if the sections are even at the top. I do what ericthegreat does, but make sure that the sections are even all the way down too ;)

Kalyca
May 20th, 2010, 09:01 PM
your braid looks great, yellowchariot! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to put into one big braid :D

camara
May 21st, 2010, 04:56 AM
Lovely braid, and congratulations on reaching your goal, even though you didn´t realize it at first. :)

Charlotte
May 21st, 2010, 07:49 AM
Looking very shiny and healthy Yellowchariot and I must say lovely and thick also. I think that it will look absolutely fabulous the longer it gets! You're obviously doing everything right! :) :blossom:

walterSCAN
May 21st, 2010, 09:14 AM
*snip*
Angeletti, they are very easy to do quickly, to keep your hair back. However I am still trying to find a simple way of getting 3 equal sections! I always miscalculate how much to section off.

Nice job!!

Don't know what to tell you about the sections though... I've been english braiding my hair so long that it just seems to divide into fairly even sections on its own... :confused: I think Eric's suggestion was a good one though.

yellowchariot
May 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
your braid looks great, yellowchariot! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to put into one big braid :D

^ Hang in there, you could try the french/dutch method, while your waiting.

Lovely braid, and congratulations on reaching your goal, even though you didnīt realize it at first. :)

camara, I know it seems as if time passes so quickly these days, also not having a good memory, adds to the extra surprise lol :D

Looking very shiny and healthy Yellowchariot and I must say lovely and thick also. I think that it will look absolutely fabulous the longer it gets! You're obviously doing everything right! :) :blossom:

Thank you Charlotte, the health of my hair has greatly improved! I stay away from cones.

Nice job!!

Don't know what to tell you about the sections though... I've been english braiding my hair so long that it just seems to divide into fairly even sections on its own... :confused: I think Eric's suggestion was a good one though.

hey walterSCAN, I also practise the method that Eric suggested. However where my hair is not as thick as most of you all's hair, it is difficult to feel if my sections are even or not :o.

myrrhmaiden
May 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM
Good job! Your hair is looking very healthy and shiny too. A single english braid is a very nice style indeed. I'm waiting until I can do one that looks right. I can sort of do one at my length, but my layers make it look terrible.

Fillette
May 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Looks awesome dude! That is one cool braid! :D
I haven't posted in while but I just HAD to tell you that your hair looks great!