PDA

View Full Version : why is putting hair up beneficial?

amaiaisabella
May 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Okay, so this might be kind of a newbie question. Still, I have to wonder. I mean, sure, putting the hair up gets it out of your way when you are impatient for it to grow or getting the temptation out of the way when you want to cut, but what else? How does it protect your hair? Does putting the hair in a bun protect it more than say, a ponytail?

My hair is still pretty short and I can't do a lot with it. Today I had it in 2 low pigtail braids, but I'm not sure how much that is protecting the hair. My ends look very splitty and I had to resist the urge to cut off the hair because it's technically adding to my growth :( I did trim a few of the worst, though.

I just don't feel like I can do much to protect it when it's this short. So does putting the hair up really help, practicality and all other issues aside?

Riot Crrl
May 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Since I have curly hair, maybe this is more obvious to me than it is to straight haired folks.

When I wear my hair down, things as simple as putting on and taking off a coat and scarf, sitting against a chair seat, car seat, bus seat, train seat, whatever... can all wreak complete havoc. Tangles, fuzziness, dryness, everything just seems to mechanical damage it and fuzz it out and suck the moisture out.

I can get around this if I want to wear it down by treating it as a glass menagerie and carefully trying as hard as I can not to let it touch anything, but putting it up is way easier.

capelli lunghi
May 8th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I remember Flaxen comparing it to a flag.. A flag blown in the wind (your hair down, in ponytail.. etc.) gets worn and eventually rips and tears.. the constant wear and tear of your hair rubbing on things, getting blown in the wind, and getting caught on things has a similar effect. A flag carefully folded up in a protective style will stay much nicer.

AJoifulNoise
May 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
There's just so much that my hair gets into and grabs ahold of. Door knobs, door ways, windows, jackets, cats, rats, etc. My hair can get in a mess of trouble (and damage) if left to it's own devices... Be it down or in a pony tail. It's safer for both of us (me and my hair) if it is up.

Zombiekins
May 8th, 2008, 09:36 PM
So does putting the hair up really help, practicality and all other issues aside?

Yep, and when you get past shoulders, or in the bra-strap range you'll understand why. ;) My hair is currently at the stage where if I leave it down it'll get stuck in my pants when they're pulled up. Don't even get me started on actually leaving it down in low-movement situations like being around the house. Ponytails are a joke.

But when your hair is short...? The difference between a ponytail and a bun is probably minimal. :)

frizzinator
May 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Wearing my hair up everyday makes it practically tangle free; the importance of this becomes clear when the hair is long and broken hair is noticeable throughout the entire length.

Even though you don't see the advantage of wearing it up now, just trust the advice of these long haired folks ....if you start trying to limit breakage when your hair is short, you will be happier with your hair when it grows long.

When the hair is long, you will not have the luxury of frequent cutting and every tiny little thing such as a broken hair, will acccumulate over the years and collectively it will look like damaged hair.

akurah
May 8th, 2008, 11:27 PM
My hair is BSL, and it gets caught in everything when worn down, so I very rarely wear it down. Seriously. It gets caught on the train seats, despite me having examined them in the past and have yet to find WHERE it gets caught, I only know it DOES. I've also had children accidentally pull on my hair, when I was on the train and wore my hair down, a child seated behind me grabbed the bar just above the top of my seat for balance, and he grabbed hair with it.

I've also rolled it up in a car window a few times, as well as shut it in the car door. Plus my backpack straps would ruin my ends in short order.

So my hair is almost always up. HOW it's up is less important. Braids, buns, ponytails, french twists, as long as it's contained, it's fairly safe. Ponytails can be risky due to the length (they weren't when my hair was shoulder or shorter), but they're still significantly safer than being down.

meichigo
May 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Since I have curly hair, maybe this is more obvious to me than it is to straight haired folks.

When I wear my hair down, things as simple as putting on and taking off a coat and scarf, sitting against a chair seat, car seat, bus seat, train seat, whatever... can all wreak complete havoc. Tangles, fuzziness, dryness, everything just seems to mechanical damage it and fuzz it out and suck the moisture out.

I can get around this if I want to wear it down by treating it as a glass menagerie and carefully trying as hard as I can not to let it touch anything, but putting it up is way easier.

My hair is pretty much as straight as it gets and I still have this problem, though to a much lesser extent. The worst is if it's still damp/wet when I get in the car... If I forget to pull it over my shoulder, it rubs between my back and the seat and dries all tangled and dry and frazzled looking.
On a related note, sometimes it will catch in the car door as I shut it.

Melisande
May 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM
There is more to it than minimizing mechanical damage, IMO. A bun or folded braid allows me to mist my hair and oil the ends. Packed away, nobody is any the wiser but my hair soaks up some good stuff like shea butter or jojoba oil.

An oiled or damp updo looks fine and is really like a mini-treatment. Once your hair is longer, you'll appreciate the difference, I think.

swanns
May 9th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but my hair is fairly long already (waist-lenght), but I actually quite like wearing it down. Sure, it gets tangled and blown in the wind and what have you, but to me it's like, why have long hair if no one can see it? Lately I've braided it and worn it in a bun more than I used to, but still I just wear it down more than once a week. I just feel so bare without it covering my back.

Finoriel
May 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I like the image with the windblown flag :)
I think the most important point for wearing it in an updo is to reduce mechanical damage over the long time it stays on my head. Imagine to wear the same Shirt every day for 7 years or more and see how it would look then ;) to stay with the textile image. Reducing mechanical damage is essential to keep long hair healthy.

It can become a safety issue, too. I do not want to think about getting my hair caught in a drilling machine, a lathe or other rotating tools... a braid or ponytail flopping into a bucket of paint is also not funny:scared:

When my hair was at waist I did not wear it up at all (because I did not know how to do them :o nor why I should do). Low ponytails or braids on very rare occasions but most times loose flowing around and getting caught everywhere. At that time I did not notice any damage... but growing longer towards fingertip I start to notice the old mechanical damage and wish I would have known about the benefits of updos before. Who knows how much less I would have needed to trim...
Take the chance to start early :)

Elbereth
May 9th, 2008, 02:16 AM
When your hair is still on the shorter side, updos may not protect the bulk of your hair, but they are still good for other reasons. First, you get used to the look and get into the habit of wearing your hair up regularly (if you are convinced of that it is a good habit to pick). According to many, it is easier to learn to style your hair while it is still shorter. French and Dutch braids with their many variations, fun clips -that later on will be too small-, even ponytails work well for a while.
Secondly, in my opinion, hair down is not all that interesting compared to all the options you get with updos and hairtoys. Another important point: you can wear all sorts of beautiful and interesting hairtoys with updos. When your hair is still shorter and you feel impatient, it will cheer you up to see that you can already do all sorts of interesting things with your hair and hairtoys. Wearing updos from early on also made me feel more like a long hair. When my hair was down, there was nothing special about it. But when it was up, I felt much better: after all, everyone knows that if someone's hair is long enough to be in an updo, it is long.
That thought felt very comforting for a long time.

My hair is straightish, very fine and flyaway. If let loose, it has a mind of its own. So, ever since I was able to first put it up, I have worn it up almost every day. It's been several years now and I'm far from bored. I don't think I could have grown my hair this long without wearing it up most of the time...and it is still growing.:)

Katze
May 9th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Because my hair is fine and the ends damaged, I have to take special care of it or I get tangles and splits. Heck, for the damaged bits, I get tangles and splits no matter what! ;)

At BSL, I am really enjoying being able to wear my hair down and feel how long it is. I, and my hair, are here to decorate the world - decorating *my own* personal world is important to me. I'm learning to like some updos, but find buns unattractive and unflattering.

So I have to weigh taking care of my fine, at times fragile, hair with my personal enjoyment. On the bike, it's up and out of the way. Hanging around at home or working, it's very often down.

My hair is now so long that it can get caught under my armpits, between my back and a chair, in zippers, etc. which is really not fun. I try to make sure I know where it is at all times, and if I'm wearing something with a zipper, get it up out of the way.

The longer your hair gets the older the dead length is and the more you have to treat it with care.

Meli
May 9th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I used to wear daily ponytails and sleep with loose hair before LHC. My hair was always tangly and full of split ends and breakage. Of course there were more things contributing to these problems than the hairstyles I used, but wearing my hair up in daytime and braided for sleep, was my first change to better haircare. Wow what a difference in reduced tangling and less splits!

Now, during the last week, I have been wearing ponytails for some days and slept with loose hair again, because I wanted to know how my newly discovered waves are behaving. Now, when my hair is healthier overall, I thought if I were careful I would get away with it. But nope - tangles, more splits and lots of broken bends/white dots - and that only in a few days... I had to do a lot of S&D yesterday, and I did an extra measurement - I have gained no length during this week - probably because of the increased breakage at the ends. No, my hair certainly does better worn in updos. And then it will look good if I decide to wear it down for a special occation. If I always would wear it down, it would very soon not look good anymore...

a braid or ponytail flopping into a bucket of paint is also not funny:scared:

Been there, done that... :tmi: :oops:

Amoretti
May 9th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I only started weaing mine up at around waist length. I still miss wearing it down but it's in much better condition now. I wouldn't be able to wear classic length hair down all the time anyway because it gets in the way and I can't stand that, so up it goes!

Anyway, updos are beautiful and interesting/unique too!

redhead_rachel
May 9th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I only started wearing mine properly "up" at BSL, when i decided I wanted reeally long.
Growing out my pixie cut (2004 ish) I wore french or dutch braids all the time, which helped keep the ends undercontrol and reduced the amount of Exposure to damage my hair got.

Now I'm at waist, putting it up is not only fun, but it keeps it out of harms way (bag straps, buttons, cardoors...) It's more practical for work (corporate rule that hair longer than shoulder length must my tied or put up anyway) and day to day as I can focus on my life rather than worrying about my hair getting caught; and I don't focus on how slow/quick it's growing when I cant see the length, so it's stress free (ish) growing.
Also, I just like pinning it up, and when I do wear it down I appreciate it more :)

Also, braiding for sleep is one of the best things i ever started to do- reduced my tangles and frizz no end :cheese:

Anlbe
May 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Wearing hair up is really good for hair but can have problems too. I can't use clips, elastics or grips in my hair at all, if its those things or my hair down, my hair is much healthier left down.

I used to use a scrunchie every morning when I washed my hair, which took about five minutes, and this caused massive broken hairs down the entire length of my hair. I was really skeptical when a GM salon told me that it was causing so much damage, but it became quickly obvious that was true.

Over the following years I discovered that my hair doesn't really appreciate ponytails (even with silk ribbons) or tight braiding or tight anything so it does actually spend quite alot of time down and I often sleep with it loose and it's absolutely fine (although I do have a huge square sluff silk pillow).

Ursula
May 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Putting hair up helps, in a variety of ways:

1. Hair that is put up is subject to less friction than hair which is down. It is not rubbing against your clothing, the back of your chair, etc. Friction causes wear, and damage.

2. Hair that is put up is held in an orderly way, which prevents tangles. Tangles must be detangled, and detangling involves friction (see #1).

3. Hair that is put up is less likely to get in the way during ordinary activities, reducing the risk of damage from things like being caught in a car door or seat belt, catching fire from a stove or candle, getting trapped under the shoulder strap of your purse or bag, etc.

4. Hair that is put up is less likely to annoy or endanger you during ordinary activities, such as being blown into your face as you are walking/driving, which would dangerously obscure your vision.

5. Putting your hair up allows you to wear it in a variety of interesting styles, while wearing your hair down all the time gives you just one style. The greater interest from a variety of styles makes long hair more interesting, so you are less likely to want to cut in for the sake of having it in a new style. With short hair, one can often only have one style from any one haircut. Boring!

embee
May 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I can't have long loose hair flapping around at work or at home - it would get into everything. Imagine a braid getting caught in a paper shredder or the cat litterbox! :(

Benign Neglect - that's how my hair got as long as it is. Put it up and forget it. Keeps me from obsessing. ;)

tiny_teesha
May 9th, 2008, 05:46 AM
after i have finished my "wear hair up for a year" challenge, which i am half way through, i intend to do sort of as the museums do. Wear it up in a protective style daily, and let it out one day in a month- If i feel like it. I wear it up to hide the thin ends, and also because it minimises tangles which you need to sort out later-which causes damage.
My hair definately has become easier to untangle. Also, if my hair is hidden, and i only show it rarely, when i do it is most likely to recieve the "Wow your hair got long " comment ;)

VikingJarl
May 9th, 2008, 08:11 AM
OK Girls, what options can you give for my hair? AFter reading about up-dos I've had my hair in a braid for the last three days. Something I NEVER normally do. My hair is always down and free. The end of the braid still reaches the middle of my back though.

Can you make a suggestion for my hair that will not make me look silly? In honesty, I have been thinking about having a ponytail or braid at work recently, as it has been getting caught up in the crook of my elbows etc. Weekends though, unless I am at home, it will still be down...

heidi w.
May 9th, 2008, 09:03 AM
As others have stated, putting hair up keeps it safe from wind, getting caught, rubbing on clothing. When you get to longer lengths, you’ll realize quickly enough the merit of this.

When hair is up you fuss with it less. Less need to detangle = less need to handle. More handling, over time, creates damage – even with quality hair care techniques. Less handling (drawing out of the face, detangling several times a day) means hair is yet healthier and will more likely grow longer still.

Longer lengths mean hair is older and yet more susceptible the older it is. Some of my hair, on the ends, is in the 10-15 year old zone. Those fragile ends definitely need protecting (ETA) by tucking under the updo.

Hair up means protection from sun damage too.

If you get to really long lengths, say classic and beyond, then just doing your day such as going to work, errands, and that sort of thing, it’s just easier up. Less likely to get stopped to be marveled at, or asked questions, more free to move without thinking about your hair.

Up saves you time with detangling. I have been known to wear it up to bed (or braided). So in the morning, it’s just minutes. In fact, I have been known to wear my hair up for 2-3 days in a row! – nights included. No detangling those days. My hair is long enough that I drape it over the edge of the bed, even loose, and it pretty much stays as is. Hair contained saves you time in the morning and evening. You take hair down in reverse order it was put up, NOT draw out sticks and pins willy-nilly for it to fall how ever and thus tangle a bit. If you follow this, then hair from an updo just needs a little smoothing.

First thing in the morning, before bathing/showering, I put my hair up. No need for a shower cap. (Unless I’m washing my hair, of course.) No further hair fussing all day long, until time for bed.

Less detangling may also translate into fewer hair sheds. Same is true of hair isn't free to get caught on stuff.

I honestly believe that hair up can in time also improve shine to a minor degree. Many do wet bunning, or heavy oiling and then bun for the day. These are measures to help penetration. But even without these, I still believe hair’s shine and maybe even softness may improve or remain in good standing (within the context of your hair type) with hair up. That tangling means more potential for damage and damage is about an cuticle that has been fractured or frayed. When cuticle is in tact, hair is more likely to have a nice sheen and good feel, and hair is strong in integrity.

Remember to use hair safe pins, bands, sticks, barrettes and clips. Any lifting on the heads of a bobby pin (long or short), toss the pin. Do not use it. This rips hair or fractures the cuticle, even pulls hair out!

ETA: A ponytail tends to be bound at the same place by many and can, over time, create a kind of thining in that spot -- a weak spot. Also ponytail means length is loose to bounce around and get kicked around in wind. Updo is better than a ponytail. Ponytail is better than completely loose.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
OK Girls, what options can you give for my hair? AFter reading about up-dos I've had my hair in a braid for the last three days. Something I NEVER normally do. My hair is always down and free. The end of the braid still reaches the middle of my back though.

Can you make a suggestion for my hair that will not make me look silly? In honesty, I have been thinking about having a ponytail or braid at work recently, as it has been getting caught up in the crook of my elbows etc. Weekends though, unless I am at home, it will still be down...

I think Dave D. would have some good suggestions!

My hair gets caught behind my knees when I walk sometimes!

heidi w.

Katze
May 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Vikingjarl, you might want to check out other guys' hairdos here.

Around town I have seen a long braid down the back, a banded ponytail, a single ponytail down the back, a bun with a hairstick, and a halfup ponytail...all on guys.

My BF has APL, wispy, wavy, frizzy hair and I usually do something that involves a halfup on him, or a French-braid-style braid, just to get the wisps out of his face. One day we went to a fancy party and he wore a suit (minus tie) and his hair in a single French braid...and it looked SO manly and elegant on him. He even got compliments.

edited to add: BF normally only wears a single ponytail, and the breakage shows (whether he believes me or not) but I can't seem to convince him of this, or of using conditioner...

Maybe, as a Viking, you should teach yourself how to herringbone braid your own hair? This style, to me, looks both "manly" and "nordic", it makes thin/fine hair look thicker, and holds better than regular braids. On BF, it can last a whole weekend of Viking fighting, helmet wearing, etc.

amaiaisabella
May 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Wow, thank you guys for all your advice! I can definitely understand now why putting it up is so important, but it still brings me back to my main problem- I can't do much with it.

My hair is just a bit past my shoulders now (19.5 inches) and I have not found many styles I like or am able to do. I can get a french twist if I'm lucky, but I have yet to be able to do a bun. I am going to try a sock bun when it's dirtier and the hair will hold better.

I have resorted to blowdrying on medium heat on slightly damp hair (I let my hair dry to the point where it's only 5% damp) and the style will last 2-3 days. I don't like styles with my ends or hair hanging out (those messy styles) because IMO, they defeat the purpose of putting hair up. Obviously those ends are going to get exposed and my ends are the most fragile parts of my hair.

In a sense, I like that my hair has the potential to get tangled in things, because that means it's getting longer! :)

EdG
May 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hair worn loose is a lint magnet. A piece of lint wraps around a few hairs which become stuck together after washing. I think avoiding tangles is a major benefit of wearing hair up (disclaimer: I've yet to try this) :)
Ed

MeganS
May 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but my hair is fairly long already (waist-lenght), but I actually quite like wearing it down. Sure, it gets tangled and blown in the wind and what have you, but to me it's like, why have long hair if no one can see it? Lately I've braided it and worn it in a bun more than I used to, but still I just wear it down more than once a week. I just feel so bare without it covering my back.
This is me, as well. I love the way my hair looks down, don't care for how it looks up, and, to top it all off, am a hopeless idiot when it comes to putting it up. I can braid it wet and put it up that way...but then I lose the curl, which I really love. Everything I love about my hair is apparent when it's down, and hidden when it's up. It might be better for it to put it up, but I have neither the skills nor the will to do it.

Speedbump
May 9th, 2008, 11:19 AM
For me, braiding it or putting it up with a ficcare has been the thing that allows me to have it longer than BSL. I sit in a chair all day at work, and the ends would grind, grind, grind up against the chair. I think you know what was happening! I actually thought my hair grew faster on the sides than the middle, and the exact opposite is true. I was losing almost all of my growth in the back every month to chair and other damage.

Braiding also keep my hair from knotting up at night, which also reduces damage. Damage *prevention*, once you reach a certain length, is essential. As far as buns vs. ponytails, regular tails are completely terrible for my hair and I can't do them at all without significant knotting and yes, damage. Braids are just as good as buns for me, though.

HTH! :)

Xanthippe
May 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I find that my hair gets very tangly when it is down. No matter how much it is detangled and oiled ahead of time. My ends just like to dance into knots! I'll do it when I want to, but with the full knowledge that it will be about a half hour of detangling and conditioning later.

why have long hair if no one can see it?

Updos! The ability to do a wide variety of lovely updos and braids. :D And the option of wearing it down once in awhile for a special occasion.

Can you make a suggestion for my hair that will not make me look silly?

Do you think buns look funny on you? That seems like the most logical method to get the length out of the way. I would try them out and see what you think. There are a lot of articles now on hairstyling that might be nice. I honestly don't think buns look silly on men, but your mileage may vary.

I second the suggestion of learning to herringbone braid. Here's a tutorial: http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/herringbone.htm

Stephanie
May 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Reduction in friction equals reduction in fraying and breaking.

Riot Crrl
May 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I've totally seen guys wearing buns with sticks sticking out of them. It looks awesome.

jesamyn
May 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I work with a guy who has hair that's pushing waist-length. He wears a banded low ponytail, and it looks nice.

(And I actually noticed that it was banded loose enough not to cause damage. I really do notice other folks' hair too much. :rolleyes: )

julya
May 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
At my length, I feel like a ponytail is equivalent to wearing my hair down. It gets more tangled in a ponytail than down, I think. A braid is better, but I still tangle up. Buns are my typical style lately.

I remember doing a pull through ponytail type style often when I was at about shoulder length. It was like a bun in that it did prevent a lot of tangles.

spidermom
May 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
At your length, I wouldn't worry too much about that. At my length - holy moly! - everything grabs my hair. I've had a few hairs yanked out just by brushing too close to a light switch. Putting it up is a necessity for me now, even when I don't feel like it.

amaiaisabella
May 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I have put oil in my hair and then braided it, but it seems to dry almost immediately, not retaining the oil and keeping it damp like most of you mentioned. Perhaps that would only happen with a bun? :confused:

RavennaNight
May 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I find wearing hair up is great for discreet heavy oiling. The oil makes the bun sleek and you are reaping the benefits of oil treatment running around with your busy life. :idea:

VikingJarl
May 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I'm trying a herringbone braid today, still not sure about a bun though...

Dianyla
May 10th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I'm trying a herringbone braid today, still not sure about a bun though...
Have you tried a low bee-butt bun? It's very comfortable, and gender-neutral. :)

Isilme
May 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I haven't read all the posts, but I wanted to tell you that wearing my hair up has (with all the other things I have catched up here) saved my hair from being choped because of damage. On a side note I want to give you an example, a friend of mine has knee length hair, imagine not braiding that hair and putting it under the shirt when going on a rollercoaster...talk about safety risk!

mommy2one05
May 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I do not believe you have to wear hair up in order to grow out long healthy hair. I have grown my hair out from shoulder length to presently waist length and still growing and it is very thick and healthy. I wear my hair down alot or in a loose pony, and if it is extremely hot then a braid of some kind. My advice is to wear your hair the way you like best.

LaurelSpring
May 10th, 2008, 08:00 AM
One of the reasons I have had layers for so long is that I always freaked out when my hair started getting caught in things, car door, arm pits..lol That is usually when I would head for the scissors. Layers was the lonly way I felt like I could deal with having length in back but control the front. I didnt know any better way. Now that I have found LHC I feel like I am prepared now to move beyond my usual length wall. Taking care of my hair and using updos have been a huge improvement and I can now deal with my length and my hair is soooo much better.

meichigo
May 10th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but my hair is fairly long already (waist-lenght), but I actually quite like wearing it down. Sure, it gets tangled and blown in the wind and what have you, but to me it's like, why have long hair if no one can see it?

I feel exactly the same way! A lot of the time when I put my hair up it's because I'm just a fidgety person and the process of putting up my hair is something to do with my hands. I've discovered a lot of fun buns and stuff here but I love showing off so I like to leave it down. ;)

Stephanie
May 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
A lot of the people here DO primarily enjoy wearing their hair down, but realize that if they do it too frequently, they run the risk of no longer having that beautiful mane, floating and glistening in the sunlight. I happen to be one of those people and know that if I wear it down, I'm in for a night of detangling and oiling. :wink:

It all really depends on your hair type and what you're willing to deal with. :smile:

Ursula
May 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
... why have long hair if no one can see it?

Oddly enough, I wear my hair up almost all the time, and I've never once had anyone think I was bald. Hair remains completely visable to the human eye when up.

I wonder what sort of people you know, who can see hair, or not, depending on the chosen style? Does the hair become transparent? Do they have x-ray vision?

Elfling
May 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Oddly enough, I wear my hair up almost all the time, and I've never once had anyone think I was bald. Hair remains completely visable to the human eye when up.

I wonder what sort of people you know, who can see hair, or not, depending on the chosen style? Does the hair become transparent? Do they have x-ray vision?
Bahahah, you just made me snarf up my drink. :D

I've actually gotten a lot of compliments on my buns lately; several very high up on the food chain clients of mine have told me how beautiful and professional it looks.

I had a hard time adjusting to wearing it up, because my mental image of me is with my hair down; but it's SO much less tangly and the condition has really improved.

blue_nant
May 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
There's just so much that my hair gets into and grabs ahold of. Door knobs, door ways, windows, jackets, cats, rats, etc. My hair can get in a mess of trouble (and damage) if left to it's own devices... Be it down or in a pony tail. It's safer for both of us (me and my hair) if it is up.

Too True!

I wore a single braid, worn down, for over a decade. Even then, it got into LOTS of things. Dirt while I garden/ed. Oh, yeah, and while surveying, I nearly painted it blaze orange! ... It's like a friendly but not-very-smart snake. :rolleyes:

Gabrielle
May 11th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Wearing my hair up has allowed my extremely fragile, tangle prone hair to get to its current length and still growing, yeah!

camillacamilla
May 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I wear it up to keep me from picking at split ends all day, and to avoid the temptation of heat styling. Right now my hair doesn't look good without heat styling thanks to my layers I am growing out. An updo hides all of that.

pepperedmoth
May 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but my hair is fairly long already (waist-lenght), but I actually quite like wearing it down. Sure, it gets tangled and blown in the wind and what have you, but to me it's like, why have long hair if no one can see it?

Because I love wearing it up so much! I can't stand having my hair down and in my face; I like long hair because I can do so many interesting things with it.

Haldir
May 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM
As everyone has already said, putting hair up is WAY safer for your hair... I personally don't do it out of laziness, but the conquences are huge. Like, I've melted my hair on a soldering iron before, I've gotten it stuck and ripped out in screws on everyday objects (ex., standing in a bus, shelves...), I've gotten it smeared all over my food and I've even gotten it stuck in an electric outlet before (thank goodness I didn't get killed by that) in school. Pretty safe to have it up as often as possible :P

Lady Godiva
May 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
but to me it's like, why have long hair if no one can see it?Assuming that you mean "...see it down," do others need to see our hair down? If so, why?

Elenna
May 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I usually wear my hair down. However, my hair is "only" APL and it gets caught in car doors, etc.

There is something I realized lately. During the day, my hair would be nice and soft, but at night it was always dry and rough. I could not figure out why. I had an "ah ha" moment when I reached down to pull dinner out of the oven. I realized that I was heat frying my hair with the oven heat! So the hair goes up at night, and it is in much better condition.

There are all sorts of hazards for longer hair.

TammySue
May 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Wearing my hair up has allowed my extremely fragile, tangle prone hair to get to its current length and still growing, yeah!

I agree. Let me be the first one to say that when I first disovered the long hair boards I, too, said "Why have long hair if you wear it up all the time?" I used to wear my hair down 90% of the time and now at my current length I wear it UP 90% of the time. LOL!

I still enjoy wearing it down at times and also will for the special someone in my life! :inlove:

MeganS
May 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM
You know, I've been wondering a lot about the various responses to swanns's post. I think, Godiva, that you might've gotten closest to the meaning of it of anyone yet, but I'll admit I still am a bit taken aback by the kind of responses she's been getting. What I think she meant (and the question I've wondered about myself) is if your most fervent, passionate hair goal is to get to classic length (or knee length, or floor length), and you only ever wear your hair up, what is the purpose of getting a particular length? Is it so you can have ever more elaborate updos? Is it so you can just say, "Yes, when it's undone, my hair is down to my knees"? You (generic) wear your hair up to protect the length, keep it healthy and (presumably) nice-looking. Is it all so that your updos will look better?

I'm asking this without rancor, because I'm curious (which I think might've also been the case with swanns). I realize that it's not the party line here to wear your hair long, but just because someone doesn't toe that line doesn't mean that they're mocking the line, or that they should be mocked in return.

frizzinator
May 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Okay, so this might be kind of a newbie question. Still, I have to wonder. I mean, sure, putting the hair up gets it out of your way when you are impatient for it to grow or getting the temptation out of the way when you want to cut, but what else? How does it protect your hair? Does putting the hair in a bun protect it more than say, a ponytail?

I just don't feel like I can do much to protect it when it's this short. So does putting the hair up really help, practicality and all other issues aside?

I think MeganS may have misinterpreted the OP's question, and it is quoted here for reference.

In response to MeganS's statement, the length my hair will grow is interesting to me because it has never been this long and I don't know what my terminal length might be, but I don't want to show it to anyone. I might show it if someone asks me and I'm in the mood, but make no mistake about this: other's opinions regarding my hair are none of my business and only my opinion matters to me.

I want smooth damage-free hair, and wearing it up helps a great deal to keep it damage-free. I know this is a fact because I used to always wear it down because when I put it up my head looked like a ball of frizz. I am growing it long because I like how easy it is to style when it is long. When my hair was short, my cowlicks would stick out like horns and drive me crazy.

My hair is only for my pleasure.

amaiaisabella
May 12th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the response, frizzinator :)

Now all I have to do is wait for it to grow a bit so I can put it up for it to grow more. Kind of a Catch-22, no? :rolls eyes:

MeganS
May 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I think MeganS may have misinterpreted the OP's question, and it is quoted here for reference.
Actually, my response was not a response to the OP, but instead the responses to swanns's post at the bottom of the first page. There have been numerous responses to her post, and some of them have seemed dismissive at best.

In response to MeganS's statement, the length my hair will grow is interesting to me because it has never been this long and I don't know what my terminal length might be, but I don't want to show it to anyone. I might show it if someone asks me and I'm in the mood, but make no mistake about this: other's opinions regarding my hair are none of my business and only my opinion matters to me.

I want smooth damage-free hair, and wearing it up helps a great deal to keep it damage-free. I know this is a fact because I used to always wear it down because when I put it up my head looked like a ball of frizz. I am growing it long because I like how easy it is to style when it is long. When my hair was short, my cowlicks would stick out like horns and drive me crazy.

My hair is only for my pleasure.And this is more like the answers I would've expected to swanns's post. :) FWIW, regarding this:

other's opinions regarding my hair are none of my business and only my opinion matters to me. I feel the same way, and I never wear my hair up.

Ursula
May 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
In terms of protecting shorter hair, you might try wearing bandanas, or wide headbands (nice ones are sold at tznius.com), or hats with smooth/silky linings. You don't have to worry so much about tangles or the hair getting caught in furnature, but protection from sun damage, from friction from glasses, and just keeping it back from your face so it doesn't annoy you will be nice.

n3m3sis42
May 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
For what it's worth (and I know that might not be much since my hair is not super-long yet)...

I *love* wearing my hair down. I've made a concerted effort to start wearing it up more often, both to protect it from damage and to (hopefully) cultivate a more professional image at my office. I am at can-I-call-this-waist length and while that's not considered all that long by LHC standards, it's long to a lot of people in the outside world and I'd rather not be perceived as odd at the workplace (although I doubt my hair is the only problem in that respect). ;-)

I hope that when it's "truly long" (by my standards), I'll still feel comfortable wearing it down when I go out sometimes. It may cause more damage than leaving it up all the time, but to me, it's sort of like eating healthy. I try to eat healthy foods, minimize the junk food intake, and drink lots of water. But sometimes, I just need a huge plate of fried grossness and a milkshake. Would I be healthier if I never did that? Maybe, but I wouldn't be as happy.

My point is not to criticize those with ultra-long hair who almost never wear it down. That's their choice and when my hair is closer to their length, maybe I will have changed my mind, too. If they get joy out of their long hair on a private level and don't want to share it with the world, that's fine, too.

I just enjoy showing mine off now and then, and I hope I still will when it's really long. :)

(sorry for the hijack)

Raederle
May 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I think that my hair has reached a length where leaving it down requires more attention than I'm willing to give it in most cases. It is much safer to put it up and go about the daily business of stoves, car doors, velcro, clothing, chair backs, doorknobs ...... It's also worth mentioning that putting it up minimized sheds escaping out. While I'm not grossed out by sheds, I know many people are. I guess I'd prefer people dealt with me as the whole package, not the person with the unpigmented hair down her back.

Each of us will do as we choose, for whatever reasons we work out in our heads.

Fluke
May 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I've found it beneficial already to put my hair "up" instead of having it loose, even though my hair isn't even at my shoulders yet. I can't do much more than a pony at this lenght, but if I have it loose for a day I don't really get tangles, but I feel more snags if I run my fingers through it or brush it, I don't get that if I have it in a ponytail :)
I'm going to be one of those who will keep my hair mostly up as it grows, I'm just dying to get more lenght so I can try more updos! :D

jel
May 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I have put oil in my hair and then braided it, but it seems to dry almost immediately, not retaining the oil and keeping it damp like most of you mentioned. Perhaps that would only happen with a bun? :confused:

Maybe you need to wet your hair more before oiling it. I sometimes braid my dry hair at night, then wet the tassel under the tap and dampen the whole braid with wet hands, and finally apply a little oil with my palms all the way down. In the morning, my hair is dry, soft and retaining braidwaves.

2. Hair that is put up is held in an orderly way, which prevents tangles. Tangles must be detangled, and detangling involves friction (see #1).

Ah, so you need to put your hair up in an orderly way? That's where I've been going wrong! ;) I often just twist my hair, without detangling, into a messy cinnabun at the top of my head. At least that keeps it safe from catching on or rubbing against things! I really should try detangling first... :o

LaurelSpring
May 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM
This may sound a little crazy, but updos have had a huge impact on my life and attitude. When I wear my hair up, I have much better posture and feel more oh like a Princess/Queen/Kennedy maybe? This little shift has made me feel more empowered, graceful, feminine and also reflects in my graciousness and kindness toward others. Also, buying nice hair toys especially the ficcare has impacted my whole wardrobe. Now I want to dress more accordingly. The transformation has been amazing to me. I love my hair up because of all the protection but also just because it makes me feel really good. I also love my hair down because wearing it up now helps me love and appreciate it more when I wear it down. Its all good!

frizzinator
May 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The tangle issue is the single most impressive thing about wearing the hair up.

I very rarely do this, but because my hair doesn't tangle when it's up, I can find myself too exhausted in the evening to do anything except to take my hair down and put it in a silk scarf and go to sleep. Then if I'm in a hurry in the morning, I can actually put it in an updo and it will look good ....without combing. Although I don't intend to make a habit of doing it, my point is that this would have been impossible to do when I wore my hair down because there would have been tangles.

I used to shed an average of 50 hairs a day for at least 30 years. Nowdays I shed an average of 10 hairs a day. This is due to wearing it up, the silk sleeping scarf and the silk pillowcase, lots of fingercombing and not using the brush unless it's necessary.