PDA

View Full Version : Not combing, is that bad?

ilovelonghair
May 18th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Sometimes I go for 2 or maybe 3 days without combing my hair, and it doesn't look tangled or ugly, but is it bad for hair?

naereid
May 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
The way I see it, the only problem would be if it got tangled really bad during those 2-3 days and you needed to use force to detangle it. But it doesn't tangle, so you're good. Benign neglect, I think it's called.

Loreley
May 18th, 2010, 05:26 AM
If it doesn't very tangly after not combing it for a few days it's not bad because frequent combing causes demage. :)

Sarahmoon
May 18th, 2010, 05:31 AM
If you have little tangles after 2-3 days and your hair still looks good, you should count yourself lucky :) Wish I could go that long without combing.

Perhaps, if you comb after 2-3 days, more loose hair might come out than when you comb every day. This is normal because combing helps the loose hair come out more easily. So it has nothing to do with hair experiencing some negative effect from not combing frequently.

Night_Kitten
May 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I don't see anything wrong with not combing if you don't have tangles - I finger-comb the length and only comb near the roots to smooth it when I do a bun to go out, and don't comb at all before braiding if I'm staying at home...

spidermom
May 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I lost both my combs for about a week and a half, and I had not only tangles but knots to work loose. Never again (if I can help it)!

Anje
May 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
My first thought was, "Not if you have or want dreadlocs."

Honestly, if your hair doesn't get tangled, it's probably not a problem. Lots of curlies only comb on days they put conditioner in their hair, because they'll end up with huge poofs of hair otherwise. I couldn't do it though -- my hair naturally tangles and forms teeny little knots of a few hairs, and these little knots cause all kinds of damage and breakage for me. Therefore, I wear mine in ways that minimize the tangling, and detangle frequently the rest of the time, before I make major snags.

Bianca
May 18th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I never comb my hair, other than after my shower :p But I dont get tangled hair, so no harm there, I think.

Animae
May 18th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I think that as long as it doesn't look bad, and your hair has no problem with it, don't cob it until you need to!

anrems
May 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I rarely comb my hair either, ilovelonghair. I pretty much only use the comb if I'm going out for something nice like dinner with my family, or a party. So maybe once a week I use a comb. My hair is fairly straight and very fine, so it never really needs to be combed (unless subjected to wind!) so I think that unless you're getting lots of tangles in between the combings then you're probably fine! Like other people said, combing can damage the hair, so it doesn't hurt to comb less frequently! Hope this helps!

Juliannaissance
May 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I think it's actually better not to comb the hair. But if it tangles too much then by all means, comb it. But carefully and gently. I don't really comb my hair, but when I do it's like once every 2 months. But recently I have been combing since its been so ridiculously windy that it's tangled and must get combed. :D

teela1978
May 18th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I do this. My hair usually gets combed during my shower... and then the next morning... and then it often won't be combed until I shower again. It seems to be fine... although if I tried to comb out the knots before I was in the shower loaded up with conditioner things might be rather difficult.

VintageBrooklyn
May 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I have only just recently started combing/brushing my hair every day! Bceause I have curly hair, when I used to brush or comb it would become frizzy and fluffy and a mess so I only ever used to comb it once a week when I would shower, but of course it would get tangled and knotty. Since those days, I have stopped using so many chemicals and heat on my hair and it's in such great condition I can get away with brushing once a day without frizz or flyaways. I also brush once a day as I am trying to stimulate my scalp to increase hair growth! (I hope that actually works!) I say that if you can get away with skipping a couple days, go for it! Everyones hair needs different things I have learnt from reading these forums!
:)

Coffeebug
May 18th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Sometimes I go for 2 or maybe 3 days without combing my hair, and it doesn't look tangled or ugly, but is it bad for hair?

I'm soooooooo jealous!!!! Mine LOVES to tangle!

ilovelonghair
May 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Mine doesn't tangle so much anymore (maybe due to loss of waves?) If there is a tangle I carefully take it out with my fingers

aksown
May 18th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Combing causes major breakage so I try not to do it at all. Fingers or a BBB are what I use for tangles. Fingers first, of course. :D

violeteyes
May 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM
If you can go more than an hour without getting tangles, then I envy you! Haha I NEVER go an extended period of time without combing out my hair-it tangles/knots/sticks together/ gets static-y and everything else you ccan think of if I "let it be" for too long.

ilovelonghair
May 19th, 2010, 03:13 AM
It used to be real difficult for me with velcro ends, but I cut them off, and it works!

FrannyG
May 19th, 2010, 05:30 AM
If your hair looks good without combing, and you're not getting tangles, then I think running your fingers through occasionally to find any possible tangles that might be beginning to form would be more than sufficient.

dropinthebucket
May 19th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I never comb mine either. Never have. My hair is very fine and slippery, it has never tangled on its own unless I've done something to it (like molasses, or hairspray, or gum, or something). It honestly does not look any different - at all - if I do comb it, so I just don't bother.

Brenda714
May 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I do the same, although when I wash it all this hair comes out and it feels like I'm shedding too much :)