PDA

View Full Version : Breakage problem

Purdy Bear
May 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I am getting breakage in my baby fine hair that has regrown. Im an Alopecian with Areata/Univarlis. I dont use any chemicals on my hair only Aqueous (a liquid soap) mixed in with water.

My scalp is flakey so Iv decided to do Sebum only for now to see if that clears up.

I dont use any heat on my head, wear silk scarves and pillow cases, and only pat the head dry when it has got wet with a towel.

What could be causing this?

I had a lovely black hair (they usually start white) which I touched and it just broke off at its base. :(

Heavenly Locks
May 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I don't have any advice, but I wanted to offer :grouphug: and :chocolate:

This must be frustrating for you. :(

Jessica Trapp
May 18th, 2010, 04:08 AM
:grouphug: Hugs!

Lemme think... here's some questions off the top of my head to maybe help track the problem...

How do you wear your hair during the day--anything it might be rubbing on?
Do you use any hair bands?
What sort of comb/brush do you use and how often?
How do you wash, how often and what sort of shampoo/conditioner? (Protein makes my hair brittle.)

Another hug,
jes

Purdy Bear
May 18th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the hugs! It is frustrating but Im learning to have more patience.

The hair I do have is only an inch long, so no updos, or brushing/combing. This is mostly at the back, with a few whispy bits at the front.

I wear satin scarves during the day and night with a silk pillow at night.

I dont use anything on my hair like shampoo or conditioner, I was wondering if it could just be really dry, as my scalp is. Should I be using an oil as a massage or would it better just leaving for the Sebum to build up?

I do have carrier oils and EOs to try (The Aberdeen Infirmary study recipe and Melanie Von Zabuesnig recipe).

Jessica Trapp
May 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM
hugs, hugs, hugs, Purdy. That must be so frustrating.

:grouphug:

frizzinator
May 18th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Do not let sebum build-up on the scalp because hair roots need air. Therefore, I would scritch to remove sebum from the scalp, but I would not preen. Massage would be great if you find that it doesn't break your hair, because massage increases blood circulation.

In order to allow the roots to breathe, maybe you do not need to wear the scarf all the time. I think of the scarf as tangle prevention, but if you want to wear the scarf, maybe only wear it half of the time.

ccaswick
May 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I won't presume you have not seen a doctor; however, if you have not -- try one two or three -- they might be able to help you. Lots of luck and hugs.

Isadora Lewie
May 18th, 2010, 05:17 AM
No real advice, but hugs and fingers crossed for you to find a solution.

I can only offer a thought that reducing all friction would be a good idea. So, if you can, try being without the scarves for a bit in the daytime.

Completely unprofessional opinion, of course, so I'd do what your doctor says first.

moominhapa
May 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hugs from me too!

I'm not sure if it would help or not, but trying a light oiling probably couldn't hurt. The only other suggestion I have is what others have said, that maybe your scalp needs a little more air/a little less friction and you could go scarf-less once in a while whenever you're comfortable with that. Other than that just try to keep up your overall physical and emotional health as best you can, and hopefully your hair will respond to that.

I hope you and your doctor can figure out something that works for you! :blossom: :grouphug:

Anje
May 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I don't know this soap brand (and "Aqueous" is a common word, so my Google-fu isn't working), but in my experience liquid soaps can often be harsh. If your scalp is getting dry and flakey, I'd suggest switching to something milder. The soap and shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley are perpetual favorites, with the soap bars being a bit more moisturizing in general.

Dryness might be contributing to the hairs falling out, but I'd be more inclined to blame the alopecia. I'm sure the doctors are able to give more advice than I could, but I'm inclined to suggest trying something anti-inflammatory or anti-allergy on your scalp, like Benedryl anti-itch cream.

Purdy Bear
May 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone!

I will try (now its a bit wormer in the Uk) going without the scarf.

I see the Dr tomorrow about something else so I will mentioned it to her.

Squeak toy
May 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Nutrition can play a huge part in hair growth and strength so watch your diet. Certain vitamin deficiencies can do this. At least 5 servings of fruit and vegatables per day and a variety could help. Hang in there.

spidermom
May 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I don't know a lot about your scalp condition, but watch out using soap on your hair and scalp. If it's alkaline - and soap usually is - that could cause breakage, dryness, and flaking. Using anything alkaline disrupts the acid mantle that your skin/scalp must maintain to protect you from infection.

I hope the doctor can help; best wishes.

Purdy Bear
May 19th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Saw the Dr today, she agreed it could be a deficiency. We agreed to keep an eye on it for now, if not to see the Dermatologists (that will roughly take 6 months).

I looked it up and a essential fats deficiency can cause dry or brittle hair, so I will have to try and increase my intact of those.