PDA

View Full Version : How to combat shedding

CaityBear
May 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Just as the title says. I'm just kind of looking for a list of things to have all the ideas in one place. Things you've heard of and/or things you've tried and have liked.

Arctic_Mama
May 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Good luck with that. Shedding is a healthy function of the scalp, and a lack of shedding (except during pregnancy) can indicate bigger problems than a LOT of shedding, ironically enough.

I just do my best to keep my scalp healthy with massage, good gentle cleansing when I wash, and vitamins to make sure my skin h earth and internal systems are getting everything they need to run smoothly. However much I shed after that is completely out of my control.

EdG
May 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM
It's not possible to prevent natural shedding. When the hair follicle reaches the end of its growth cycle, it sheds.

This thread is really about how to reduce breakage that occurs prior to the end of the growth cycle. :)
Ed

EdG
May 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
My current experiment to reduce breakage is to reduce sun exposure. I'm hoping my ends will become less fragile over time. :)
Ed

TammySue
May 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM
It's not possible to prevent natural shedding. When the hair follicle reaches the end of its growth cycle, it sheds.

This thread is really about how to reduce breakage that occurs prior to the end of the growth cycle. :)
Ed

Yes, this! ^^^^^^ And as for what has helped me reduce breakage: gentle care (especially with wet hair) using a wide tooth comb, wearing updos, and frequent micro trims.

CaityBear
May 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I don't want to stop shedding, I just want it to be less. I shed A LOT and I would like it to be a little less.

x0h_bother
May 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Three things I noticed helped me:
Taking care of my dandruff (requiring SLS and pyrithione zinc shampoo)
NOT conditioning near my scalp (but doing a version of CWC)
Nylon bristle round brushing of the scalp (it gives it a little massage and distributes sebum).
Others may have contradictory advice but this is what works personally.

Fairlight63
May 18th, 2010, 08:45 PM
What I have heard that helps to stop shedding is:
black coffee rinse or black tea rinse - it helped the shedding for me I think, but it is very drying to the hair.

garlic tab. = I take 1 1,000 mg tab. a day

AlterEgo cond. is a garlic cond. that is supposed to help with shedding, not sure if it does or not. But makes hair feel real soft.

DE - I have been taking it since Jan. & I think or thought that it was helping with the shedding, but I notice lately that I have started to shed again, but I am reading a lot of people are going through shedding right now, so I guess that it is seasonal shedding now.

teb
March 28th, 2013, 12:29 PM
taking a super complex b vitamin with vitamin c daily.

rock007junkie
March 28th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Let me point you to this thread. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344
This oil really helped me and a lot of the other ladies with the shedding. Give it a try. I noticed a change with the first application

Naiadryade
March 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Putting castor oil on my scalp every 1-2 nights dramatically reduced the amount of hair I shed every day. It's also got some essential oils in it. Together, the castor oil and EO's also combat/cure my dandruff, and I'm sure that is related to the reduced shedding.

Silverbrumby
March 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Like the color of your eyes unless you have a scalp condition or illness the hair will stay in as long as your genetics dictates. Here's what adds to my shedding:

* conditioner only washing
* stress, bad stress not normal stress
* dieting
* after childbirth shed
* Low Iron
* Low vit D
* Not enough protein in the diet (I'm a bit slack here)
* letting my scalp get dirty and build up oil
* applying oil to my scalp
* ponytail or bun that's too tight.

What's helped (I THINK)
* whey protein shakes but the organic brand
* fish oil
* MSM and biotin
* taking a decent multi vitamin
* getting enough sleep
* exercise.

Andrea H
March 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I had a shedding scare(which is why I signed up to this place a while back. :p) back in September. However I've noticed it's stopped quite a bit since I stopped brushing my hair when wet. So I'd stand by not brushing your hair when it's wet. I make sure to brush out any and all tangles before I get in the shower and then wait until my hair's completely dry.

Allychan
March 28th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I stopped my shedding with no hair dye and scalp massages with castor oil :)