PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your hair while it's drying?

gossamer
May 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I try not to brush my hair when wet, but it gets so in the way if I leave it down to dry that I usually end up throwing it in a messy bun or braid.... and then it's a day before it really dries. And of course then I can't accurately measure it thanks to it being all wavy. :confused:

What are your strategies?

MissCoco
May 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Jessica Trapp
May 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Honestly, I usually don't do anything. I comb it out while it's soaking wet and then I ignore it. :p Well, maybe sometimes I braid it.

Bast
May 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Wrap it up in a microfiber towel while I get dressed, comb it out, and then let it dry while loose. It's all still short enough so that while it's drying it doesn't really get in my way.

I'll also go and sit outside if it's nice out, just to get some sun going.

Gumball
May 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I use a horn comb and comb it while it's damp and drying, but nowhere near soaking wet. If I don't, then it dries into even worse tangles that I shudder at the thought of dealing with. I don't mind the fluff it gets me, because I always put my hair up.

little_acorn
May 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I wrap it in a microfibre towel for a few minutes then usually put it in a cinnabun with a ficcare or a lazy wrap with a water-proof hair toy.

EdG
May 17th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I plan my hair washing so that I have a few hours available for it to dry. That usually means washing in the evening. :)
Ed

gossamer
May 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Maybe I need to get better at planning when I wash it - no more of this last minute washing before bed or in the morning before I need to spend the day being active.

Also, invest in a comb so it's at least semi presentable when wet, rather than snarly looking.

EdG
May 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Cool! Welcome to the board gossamer. :)
Ed

Arctic_Mama
May 17th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I squeeze out the water with a towel and divide it into three sections, usually no combing involved but some simple finger combing to make the sections. Then I braid it, tie it off, and go to sleep. When I wake up in the morning it is usually still damp but not so wet that it stretches and tear a, so I comb it with a wide toothed comb, bun, and go.

I'm easy like that :)

Arctic_Mama
May 17th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah, and I am amazed when anyone with even slightly log hair showers in the morning - I hate having wet hair and mine holds so much water that it drips annoyingly down my neck for hours. Sleeping on it wet guarantees that my pillow soaks up the worst of it :lol:

gossamer
May 18th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Oh yeah, and I am amazed when anyone with even slightly log hair showers in the morning - I hate having wet hair and mine holds so much water that it drips annoyingly down my neck for hours. Sleeping on it wet guarantees that my pillow soaks up the worst of it :lol:

I totally used to wash it right before bed, sleep on it down, and brush it out the next morning. Either it's getting too long for that now, or I'm losing my tolerance for sleeping on a soggy pillow. :p

countryhopper
May 18th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I wash mine in the evening and squeeze out most of the water. then I leae it as-is for a little while, then finger comb it, then comb with wide toothed comb. By the time I go to bed it is still damp. i sleep with it loose when it's damp but sometime in the middle of the night i end up wrapping it in a top knot when it's dry.

Loreley
May 18th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I put it in a towel turban, after that I oil it, comb it with a wide tooth comb and leave it down. I comb it several times while it's drying.

jera
May 18th, 2010, 01:13 AM
After washing, I just part it and let it air dry. It takes a few hours to dry thoroughly. :)

kelly-j
May 18th, 2010, 01:57 AM
After I washed my hair I just let it hang there, until it´s dry.

Lemur_Catta
May 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I put it in a towel for 10-15 minutes, then I finger comb, put leave in, oil and\or coney serum, then comb with a wooden comb, then I wait for 1-2 hours (it depends on the time) and go to bed with my hair still damp :) If I put it in a braid, it never dries!
When I wash in the morning, I usually comb it while it is drying to achieve a poker straight look.

Sarahmoon
May 18th, 2010, 03:16 AM
It depends if I have to go anywhere. If not, I usually leave it in the hood of my bathrobe for 15 minutes or so, and then I leave it hanging down to dry further. If I have to go anywhere, I put it up in a bun. It will take ages to dry that way but :shrug:. I don't comb it until it's dry.

Night_Kitten
May 18th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I made a cloth tube (I took a long fabric, cut it so that the width matches my head sircumfence and the length somewhat longer then my hair length, and saw it to make a "tube"), and I wear it after I squeezed rhe water out of the hair, to soke up the drips. When it's half dry, I take the cloth off, finger comb and let it dry on its own.
I wash only once a week, so I make sure I have a few spare hours after washing - the cloth thing is very comfortable, but looks... well... not so pritty... :o

LILBERT
May 18th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I comb and oil it, then french braid it. I leqave it in the french braid untill bedtime usually.

jackiesjottings
May 18th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I gently squeeze excess water out of it, then wrap it in a towel for about half an hour so I don't end up sitting in a puddle of water. Then I just let it air dry, and give it a gentle comb with a wide toothed wooden comb when it is completely dry. It takes about 3 hours to dry now

growing2shine
May 18th, 2010, 05:10 AM
After washing my hair I have this big ugly bathrobe which is great because I just let my hair hang after I've squeezed all the water out I can. Often I just wear that only but sometimes I wear it on my clothes so it doesen't get wet. It works great for me but again... my hair isn't that long yet. But I think I'll do the same when it gets longer :D

gossamer
May 18th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I made a cloth tube (I took a long fabric, cut it so that the width matches my head sircumfence and the length somewhat longer then my hair length, and saw it to make a "tube"), and I wear it after I squeezed rhe water out of the hair, to soke up the drips.

This tube idea sounds amazing. I bet I could make one out of an old towel. It would be ugly, but a lot better than dripping all over!

It depends if I have to go anywhere. If not, I usually leave it in the hood of my bathrobe for 15 minutes or so, and then I leave it hanging down to dry further. If I have to go anywhere, I put it up in a bun. It will take ages to dry that way but :shrug:. I don't comb it until it's dry.
Yes, this is pretty much what I do now, exactly down to the :shrug:.

naereid
May 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I just pat it dry and leave it down. Sometimes when it's half-dry I make a bun. I'm still trying to figure out what makes my hair look best.

going gray
May 18th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi, Well it looks like I'm the only one that uses jumbo old fashion mesh rollers after I washed my hair. If not my hair is a frizzy ugly mess, & I have tried EVERYTHING suggested on the site!

DARKMARTIAN
May 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM
braid it.....

Heavenly Locks
May 18th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I squeeze out the water in the shower, wrap it in a towel and let that sit for about 5-10 minutes or until I am tired of having the towel on my head. Sometimes I use a microfiber towel, that stays on much better.

After that I brush (hissss yes, a plastic one with nubby tips!) through VERY gently (no snagging or pulling) it so that it lays in a more organized fashion.

Then I just let it air dry until it's 90% dry and after that I bun it so that the waves stay together better.

About 4 times a year I blow dry ;) for length pictures and stuff.

moominhapa
May 18th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I squeeze it out and wrap it in a towel for 5-10 minutes. Then I take it down and comb it (yes, while wet! shhhh!) and just leave it alone until it dries completely.

going gray, I have thought about letting my hair dry in those big rollers before, but is it a hassle? And does it take longer to dry? And does your hair ever get caught? I'm pretty lazy with my hair, but maybe if it's worth it I'll try it sometime.

anrems
May 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hi gossamer! What I do is: I squeeze out the water from my hair a couple times, and then wrap it in a towel for about 10 minutes. Then I lightly oil the ends of my hair and let it air dry down until it's completely dry. Otherwise I get weird kinks and stuff. Once it's dry (2-3 hours) I comb (sometimes) and then put it up!

spidermom
May 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I drop it into doubled flannel pillowcases and squeeze extra water out inside them, then put something around my shoulders to keep me from getting soaking wet, and try to leave my hair hang undisturbed while it dries. Sometimes I blow-dry it on warm and cool, never hot.

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
After taking off the turbie towel, I have like 50% dry hair. Especially ends and my fringe. But until my hair is totally dry, I wear it down. I don't like it, simply because I'm cold:D But I comb it with my fingers from time to time and... hmm... I put my fingers into my hair, close to the scalp, and I move my hands fast, tossing up my hair. It adds volume to the hair and makes it dry faster, because it's not packed in one strand.

Capybara
May 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I will either leave it down to dry (although this won't work with you, according to your post :( ), or braid it, or put it in a bee-butt bun. I find that the bee-butt will not make many waves, although it gives my hair a body wave and volume. Maybe you could try this?

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Or, if you have blunt ends, tie your ends, like 2 inches above the end of your hair. If you have layers- higher. Your hair should stay on the back, it won't flow around, and somehow it will be down and will dry faster than bunned or braided.

Snowcold
May 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I softly brush it (yes, brush :P) and then I leave it, sometimes play with it. Somehow it always dries differently. Sometimes it has kick-ass volume and other times it just looks awful, lol.

Jessica Trapp
May 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hi, Well it looks like I'm the only one that uses jumbo old fashion mesh rollers after I washed my hair. If not my hair is a frizzy ugly mess, & I have tried EVERYTHING suggested on the site!

Do you have a photo of these? I'm not sure what they look like or how they work, but this sounds like something I might try.

Thanks in advance,
jes

windinherhair
May 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I generally wash my hair in the evening if I have to get up early to be somewhere the next day. I leave it up in a towel for about 10 minutes. By then my hair is just damp when I take off the towel. I finger comb my hair to be very gentle not the cause breakage. It air drys well enough in a couple hours so I dont have to go to bed with a wet head. I never put my hair in a bun or braid when it is wet because it never seems to dry, and I dont like to keep my hair wet for so long. It doesnt bother me having my hair down while it is drying since it is only damp after having it up in a towel. I hope you find something that works well for you.

Forever_Sophie
May 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM
From the shower, I do the towel-turban thing for about 10 min. then comb it out, apply a leave-in and oil/serum, then leave it loose 'til it's dry, or mostly dry. I wash my hair in the evening and braid it to go to bed.

jasper
May 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I wash in the evening too. I throw a towel over my shoulders to catch the major drips and let it hang dry until bed time. It will be damp when I want to go to sleep, so i finger comb enough to get a sleep braid in. Sometimes this will be dry by morning and sometimes not. I bun my hair in the morning either way.

LoversLullaby
May 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I squeeze water out with a t-shirt, apply gel and mousse for my curls, and plop my hair for 45 minutes. Then I leave it down while it dries after that.

teela1978
May 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I usually wash my hair at night right before bed, so it gets put in a towel for 5-10 minutes and then tossed behind my pillow. Its mostly dry by morning.

If I wash during the day I do the same thing, but comb it out and leave it down. It generally dries pretty quick as it's not very thick... within an hour or two.

Fairlight63
May 18th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I wash my hair early enough for my hair to be dry by the time that I go to bed. My hair usually takes a couple of hrs. to dry.

I wash my hair & squeeze all the water that I can out of it & then put some leave in cond. on it then tie a flour sack towl on my hair to plop it. Leave it on for 30 min. take it down & comb it some, pin up the sides & leave the rest down until it dries. Then comb it & twist it up & put on my silk sleep cap then go to bed. In the morning my hair has nice curls from being twisted up in the sleep cap all night.

Carolyn
May 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Most of the time I wash in the morning. I wrap in a towel a few minutes then gently use my wide tooth comb to detangle. Yes I comb when wet. I can't imagine letting my hair dry with tangles in it from washing. I know some people do, but I can't do it. Then I just let it hang down my back until it's dry. I have no issues with wet hair. Actually I love wet hair. I usually have on a cami type top and enjoy the feeling of wet hair on my skin. If I have to go somewhere soon after washing, I'll wet/damp bun it, then take it down later and let it finish drying. If I am forced to wash it at night for some reason, I get it as towel dried as possible and plan on bunning it in the morning.

Angeletti
May 18th, 2010, 07:02 PM
for me it depends on how I want to wear my hair for the week since I only wash it like every five or six days... if I want it to be straight for the week I will use a wide tooth comb and brush every so often until it's dry, but if I want to go with waves then I will throw it up in a dutch braid while it's wet and then I'll have awesome waves for the next day and for most of the week

Sunsailing
May 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I wash my hair every other day. But on a work day, I don't have time to let it air dry completely. I am only going to get up so early (I have to leave the house by 7:00 am).

1. I begin by gently squeezing my hair in bath towel.
2. Then I put it in one of those towel-turbans made for hair for about 2 minutes.
3. I take that one off, and put my hair in a second towel-turban while I'm shaving.
4. After shaving, I let my hair out, put on some leave-in conditioner (L'anza), comb it with a Madora comb, and then put my hair in yet a third towel-turban.
5. I go downstairs to eat breakfast. After about 5 minutes, I take my hair out of the towel-turban and turn on the furnace/ac house fan. I let it air dry for about 40 minutes, after which my hair has dried quite a bit.
6. I finish drying it with a far infrared blow dryer. These types of dryers cost more, but are well worth it! They are far less damaging and work faster and at a much lower heat setting.

Messyhair
May 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I tend to leave mine down but I use an Ouchless clip to keep my bangs back out of my face. I have to keep putting it in again and again, but at least the hair dries nice and straight.

Peter
May 18th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I squeeze out excess water in the shower then wrap it in a towel for ~5 minutes. Then I comb it and leave it down to dry, which takes an hour or two. Sometimes I braid it. :)

adiapalic
May 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I shower a few hours before bed, dry it a bit with a towel by squeezing out excess water... and then leave it down let it dry for the most part until I braid it right before bed.

cardamom
May 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
This is possibly the time my hair is scared of my unconscious unintentional finger combing:shake:

cocolady
May 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I use a wide tooth comb to detangle it after i get out of the shower,
after that I usually try to squeeze more water out with a towel and I finish off with an absorbant paper towel lol. After that I just leave it to dry and finger comb it every hour or so.

eezepeeze
May 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Am I supposed to be doing something special? Usually I comb it out with a wide tooth comb and go about my day. If it's hot, I put the front part up in a little poof. If it's REALLY hot, I put it up in a clip or bun and do my daily stuff.

Deborah
May 25th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I usually wash at night, so I lay a small towel on the pillow and let it dry overnight. If I need to go somewhere, I let it dry until the last minute, then pop it up in a bun. It will dry that night just fine.

Newniepg
May 26th, 2010, 04:55 AM
I tend to put a towel over my shoulders in the summer and just let it hang. I don't really like combing it while it is wet.

In the winter I try to do the same as summer but I am afraid I frequently give up and use a hairdryer. I only wash it once a week so I figure it can't do THAT much damage if I don't use the hot settings and am gentle.

Emerson
May 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I usually towel dry it a bit and leave it down, sometimes I'll put it in a messy bun to get it out of the way.

Capybara
May 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I usually towel dry, then comb. Then, if I want my hair to have volume and a bit of body wave, I'll put it up in a high bee-butt bun with plastic clips. If I want it stick straight, I'll leave it down and continue combing periodically. If I want braid waves, I'll wait until it's dried enough to not be dripping wet, then braid it.

I guess it depends on how I am planning to wear my hair for the next few days :) I'm a very schedule-oriented person, so I usually have my outfits/hairstyles planned out in my mind ahead of time. :blossom:

Aurielle
May 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
During the week I usually wash my hair early in the morning, generally between 5 am and 6 am depending on how cold it is outside and if I need to to be dry early in the day. I wash my face afterwards so that I don't have much left of my morning routine to do. Since I can get away with getting out of bed at 7 am, I put a towel over my pillow and lay on my side snoozing away until the alarm clock goes off. By then, my hair is much more dry and I can go about my business. By the time 8:30 rolls around, it's dry enough for most people to think it is not wet!

During the weekends or on rare days when I have nothing to do in the afternoon, I wash my hair before 6:30 pm and find something to do like use my computer or read a book to distract me while it dries. By bed time, it's usually dry.

gypsychild
May 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm definitely a "comb-it-and-ignore-it" sort of person. Of course, it's not terribly long so the drying time is only about two hours or so. I'm glad I found this site, as before I brushed my hair while it was soaking wet! Now there's tons less breakage.