PDA

View Full Version : Sat looking silly with henna on my head

BelleBot
May 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've taken to using a thinsulate hat to help keep my henna warm on my head. Works wonders along with clingfilm, though I do look a bit silly.

I'm so excited as for once after applying the henna my forehead is bright orange despite using vaseline to protect my skin. Yay for a clear sign of dye release :D Good job I have make up so hopefully I won't look so silly tomorrow.

Can't wait to see how it turns out when I rinse it out in the morning.

Anyone else like the silly looks you end up achieving whilst hennaing?

myrrhmaiden
May 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I do it too, for henna but also deep treatments as well. Plastic first layer, and wool hat second layer. It works great and looks silly. :P

serious
May 17th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I use two shower caps, the first is made of thin, clear plastic, the second one is thicker and blue, and a woolen hat on the top :D
I henna my eyebrows too, so that makes me look even more silly :eyebrows:

marikamt
May 17th, 2010, 04:36 PM
oh yeah. Cling wrap and a pink shower cap.... DH laughs his butt off..........

MonikaHa
May 17th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Let's see... I gave up the cling wrap - it kept sticking to my latex gloves, so now I just use a plastic shopping bag, blue shower cap, and and old pink t-shirt as a wrap. Oh yeah, I do look silly.

neon-dream
May 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I don't henna but I use this for deep conditioning treatments such as SMT! Two shower caps and a turby-twist :D!

little_cherry
May 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I use plastic wrap, 2 shower caps and a woolen cap. Sometimes, I've even applied a layer of foil after the shower caps and before the woolen cap.

If you don't looks silly, you're not doing it right! ;) :D

klcqtee
May 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I put an old plastic grocery bag around my head because I'm too cheap to buy shower caps! I just tie it like a turban around my head, then either sit in the sun, or wrap an old towel around my head on top, with the plastic bow sticking out, haha.

AmericanWoman
May 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I use my faithful plastic shower cap, panty-part-of-pantyhose and t-shirt scarf. And IO insist I look adorable and not the least bit silly. ;)

CaityBear
May 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Hah, me and my mom both use a plastic grocery bag with a big fuzzy, knit bright red and blue toque!! :D It looks hilarious, but it works. :)

IcarusBride
May 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I use cassia, not henna, but I also sport the ridiculous looking 'do while using it... I use plastic wrap, a night-time hair cap/bonnet (I got it in the 'ethnic haircare' section at... the dollar store?!?! I was surprised, too!) and then a towel. It keeps my head veeeery warm! I gotta be careful though, once I wrapped the plastic wrap too tightly and by the time I washed it off, I was super dizzy from reduced circulation (I didn't' realize what was going on until afterwards...)

LithiaBlack
May 17th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I gave up cling film, couldn't get it to cling to my hair so i use two plastic grocery bags and a big woolen hat. Since I stuff all my hair up on my head (it reaches to the hip and are thick) I look like an ailen or mushroom *giggles*

/L

BelleBot
May 18th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I added extra additions last night as I felt my henna cow pat was getting cold. A microwavable heat pack and heated muscle patch thing. They may be aimed for relieving back and nech ache, but they kept my hair warm and added extra bulk under my hat so I looked extra silly :p

SpeakingEZ
May 18th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Jeeze, my drippies were so bad the last time I hennaed that I had DBF duct tape a paper towel helmet to my seran-wraped head. Then, on went the beanie to give me a nice flying nun look.

He had so much fun going around my head with the duct tape, we probably went through a LOT more than necessary. But, it worked!! Not one drippy got through the helmet!

Fluke
May 18th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Oh, yes, I know this look...

I use saran wrap first and the ugliest purple woolen hat on top when I henna.

The purple knit thingy is one I've used several times for henna, cassia, avocado goop, honey and egg yolk treatments, so it's not only butt ugly to begin with, it's stained all over with disgusting patches of goop that never really goes away.

It's looks truly horrid.. :D

Idun
May 18th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I´m doing a henna/cassia right now, trying to treat my virgin hair only. This time I have some layers of clingfilm, a shower cap, and on top of that the Bella Nutri Hair Therapi Wrap (http://www.treasuredlocks.com/bellanutri-hair-therapy-wrap-cordless-microwave-conditioning-cap.html). It is the first time I use it, but so far it works great, giving a gentle heat! It is not all that becoming though, especially as I use glasses. Luckily my glasses are very flexible.

ETA: guess this is a better link (http://www.hairtherapywrap.com/shop.php#)

CrisDee
May 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM
When I henna (which is gonna hafta be tonight, roots are gettin UGLY!), I put the henna on my roots, then wrap my head fairly tightly in Cling Wrap. Tried the plastic grocery sack thing, but I got too many leaks - and the elastic in a shower cap gives me a terrible headache. I then put an old wool cap over that. I remove my satin pillowcase, and cover my pillow with a large kitchen trash bag, then put an old ugly cotton pillow case over that. I then sleep (as best I can) with the whole mess on my head. I try to leave it on all night, but often end up getting up after a minimum of 4 hours to wash it out. What usually ends up waking me up is the drip - I'm afraid it's gonna get all over the entire bed and I'll have to wash sheets, comfortor, quilt, the whole lot. That's never happened, but I end up waking up worrying about it nonetheless.

The whole process not only makes me look stunningly attractive while it's on my head(NOT!), but it's messy, a nuisance and inconvenient. But WOW does it make my hair gorgeous! What we don't go through in the name of beauty...

alwayssmiling
May 18th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Just a funny story whilst we are on the subject.....

I kept reading on here about you guys doing treatments and using a "saran wrap". I had no idea that saran wrap is the same as, what UKers call "Cling Film". I just kept thinking....wow those saran wraps sound amazing! One day I will treat myself to one of those, everyone seems to get great results - I bet they're expensive. So you can imagine my surprise and amusement when I did eventually look up "saran wrap" on Amazon, to discover it was just good old cling film! :p

Unofficial_Rose
May 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Just a funny story whilst we are on the subject.....

I kept reading on here about you guys doing treatments and using a "saran wrap". I had no idea that saran wrap is the same as, what UKers call "Cling Film". I just kept thinking....wow those saran wraps sound amazing! One day I will treat myself to one of those, everyone seems to get great results - I bet they're expensive. So you can imagine my surprise and amusement when I did eventually look up "saran wrap" on Amazon, to discover it was just good old cling film! :p

Yes, I thought saran wrap was some glamorous US product too!

My method of choice is said cling film with a black beanie over the top, and lovely bits of cotton wool around the edge to stop drippies. If the beanie were red, it would resemble a really amateurish Santa hat.

Even more attractive was when I smothered my hair in amla and yoghurt and decided to do the face as well for the astringent benefits. Hey, swamp thing! :silly:

VintageBrooklyn
May 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have to laugh loudly while reading this thread!
Right this minute I am henna-ing my hair and am sitting at the computer wearing an old torn t shirt and sweat pants that are around 10 years old. A plastic bag on my head, with the ends tied into a bow on my forehead, then an ugly old blue towel over the top.
Of course as soon as I put it on, there was a knock on the door as the postman had a parcel for me, so I opened the door with much hesitation but tried to forget what I looked like. Heaven knows what the postman thought!
We certainly are mad doing the things we do to be beautiful!
I just hope I don't have any other callers, as once this gets washed out, in goes the indigo and the process repeats itself! You try to pick a good day, but for me, someone always comes a knocking! He he he...
;)

JenniferNoel
May 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I don't henna but I use this for deep conditioning treatments such as SMT! Two shower caps and a turby-twist :D!

Hah! Me too. I look so weird when I do DTs.
I'm going to start henna eventually either way. Just thought I'd chime in.

RavennaNight
May 18th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I sported the look today! I hennindigoed this morning. I used Saran wrap, an old bandanna, a wool hat, and an old hoodie pulled up over it so I can lay down and nap through the process. I looked funny, and kept sleeping on my back and having dreams.

I've gone out like this. Has anyone else HAD to go out with the henna wrap because something came up that MUST be done?

annarose
May 18th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I do the saran wrap/woolen hat thingy too, and when I do my eyebrows..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/justdoinit/IMG_4834.jpg

Yep, thems bandaids holding on my saran wrapped brows. Could I BE any sexier?

:laugh:

tiggerousity
May 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I do the saran wrap/woolen hat thingy too, and when I do my eyebrows..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/justdoinit/IMG_4834.jpg

Yep, thems bandaids holding on my saran wrapped brows. Could I BE any sexier?

:laugh:

I think not! You are the cat's meow!:D Love it!

serious
May 19th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I've gone out like this. Has anyone else HAD to go out with the henna wrap because something came up that MUST be done?

It happened to me!

We had a fire in our building in December ( It was scary, but no one got hurt ) and, when everything was over, I just ran down to talk to firemen and totally forgot about henna on my head ( and my eyebrows!). All neighbours were there !

Well, I hoped that everyone was too excited to notice something weird on my head, but a few days later a very nice lady asked me about it, I explained and we had a good laugh!

BelleBot
May 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I think the strange shaped head/ clingfilm/ woolly hat combo isn't too bad if I had to go out... but eyebrows, they really put the icing on the cake of silliness!

I have been out once whilst hennaing my roots, armed with woolly hat and clingfilmed head. It wasn't too noticeable as I was only doing roots and the rest of my hair was in a braid down my back, henna free. I did get a few strange looks mind you. :p

wackyredtangles
May 19th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I wrap my head in tinfoil, then in a plastic shopping bag, then a big strip of cloth over that. Since I do the henna in 4-5 sections I end up with lots of little buns all over my head and looking very silly!

I usually do this when BF won't be home lol.

GlennaGirl
May 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM
When I do just a roots touch-up, I leave it without any plastic on top, but the stuff makes my roots stand out stiffly and my length to go out and downward wildly. So I look like an escapee from the asylum come roots time. DH is used to it. :D

breezefaerie
May 19th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I use plastic shopping bags and a knit cap over them. Thankfully I've never had to go our like that!