PDA

View Full Version : Hair donating charities

Syaoransbear
May 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I know that locks of love isn't a good charity, but what ARE some good charities to donate your hair to? I'm not doing it myself, it's just that I know a lot of people who are donating to locks of love and I'd like to send them in a better direction.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate or if there is information for this posted elsewhere. I did a search, but there were a gazillion results that weren't what I wanted.)

missmandy
May 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
As far as I know, Pantene Beautiful Length is a good organization.

Wicked Princess
May 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
There's also Wigs for Kids (http://www.wigsforkids.org/) which does what I had always thought Locks of Love did, before I saw the damning article in the NYTimes.

Another one, to which I've donated my hair before, is Matter of Trust (http://www.matteroftrust.org/). I actually learned about this one from my stylist.

Capybara
May 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I donated to Pantene Beautiful lengths a few years back, and I haven't heard any negative comments about their organization.

Fifty-Five
May 18th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I'd advise the individual to research it themselves, just to make sure the organization is doing what they're trying to achieve.

i.e. So many people donating hair to LoL for cancer patients when a lot of it goes to alopecia patients

Not that it's wrong to help alopecia patients, but you know what I mean. Also, they may decide a monetary donation is better afterward (it's happened with a few people I know)

GlassEyes
May 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I'd advise the individual to research it themselves, just to make sure the organization is doing what they're trying to achieve.

i.e. So many people donating hair to LoL for cancer patients when a lot of it goes to alopecia patients

Not that it's wrong to help alopecia patients, but you know what I mean. Also, they may decide a monetary donation is better afterward (it's happened with a few people I know)
For me, it's mostly that LoL doesn't really donate wigs. They sell them on a sliding scale based on income, from what I've read. Plus, their status as a 'charity' is questionable--their records aren't consistent, and it's liley they sell more hair than they "donate" to alopecia patients.

In theory, it's a worthy cause--alopecia patients suffer too, but I'd rather donate my hair (if I were going to) to a more believable charity.

Dvips
May 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'm interested in Matter of Trust (http://www.matteroftrust.org/).

FrannyG
May 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Would it be possible to sell your hair and then donate the proceeds to the charity of your choice? I'm thinking that might be the way to go.

Gypsy
May 21st, 2010, 12:29 AM
https://shop.thebreastcancersite.com/store/item.do?siteId=224&itemId=33945&origin=BCS_FACE_FAN_ADGROUP_LINK_WIGSGTGM
"You can help! Purchase of this Gift That Gives More™ helps a woman with the expense of a wig, wig fitting, breast prosthesis, or other similar need."

rosyaddie
June 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
That's right, she said the 'D' word! What are your opinions on hair donation. Have you ever done it? Why or why not? I'm considering growing my hair out for Pantene Beautiful Lengths, as opposed to Locks of Love, which makes people pay for wigs. (Opinions on L.O.L. vs. P.B.L.? Share, please.) :) Let's get this party started!

Tonks
June 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I don't have any opinions on Locks of Love or Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

I've had my head shaved for charity/wigs once, and I will never do it again. I don't feel selfish for it; the hell I recieved from classmates was enough to make me regret the decision, even if I initially felt good for being so "selfless". Plus, my head got really cold, which was really uncomfortable.

There are other, more concrete ways to help people.

kwaniesiam
June 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Stay away from Locks of Love. You'll hear many more members chiming in as to why, read this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html

Ally<3
June 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I have not looked into either charity myself, but I am all for someone donating if that's what they decide to do with their own hair. What I don't like is people suggesting it's a long haired person's moral obligation to donate their hair. After all, they're not donating the hair they get chopped off every month for that bob hairstyle. :)

bugeyedmonster2
June 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I'd say donate money. Even if you donate your hair, the charity still has to arrange to have your ponytail processed into a wig. Sometimes this process does cost the charity. But if enough folks were to donate a dollar or two, I'm sure several of those charities could afford to give away even more wigs.

swellmel
June 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
i know a couple women who donated to Shear Hope several years ago. Actually the 2 women have another event lined up for next month to do it again. their website is shearhope.org

xsampa
August 26th, 2014, 03:11 PM

Some alopecia patients may actually get used to having no hair and not get stressed out enough to get wigs. Wikipedia says:

However, many with the disorder lead relatively low stress lives.

xsampa
August 26th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I don't have any opinions on Locks of Love or Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

I've had my head shaved for charity/wigs once, and I will never do it again. I don't feel selfish for it; the hell I recieved from classmates was enough to make me regret the decision, even if I initially felt good for being so "selfless". Plus, my head got really cold, which was really uncomfortable.

There are other, more concrete ways to help people.
@Meaghan: Could you list some ways?

Anje
August 26th, 2014, 04:26 PM
@Meaghan: Could you list some ways?
Given that she posted that more than 4 years ago, I'm guessing you might not get a response. Please check post dates when replying to specifics.

xsampa
August 26th, 2014, 05:37 PM
OK, I'll check next time. What's your response to the above question ?

Anje
August 26th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Send money to the group. Donate to research. Volunteer at the local food pantry (I know mine needs pallets of loose cereal divided into baggies for distribution and cans sorted for dent severity all the time). Cook a meal at the homeless shelter. Become a Big Brother/Big Sister. Pick one kid and get them school supplies or a winter coat.