PDA

View Full Version : Pondering fairy tale hemline.

Heavenly Locks
May 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
:hmm:

My main goal when I joined LHC was to make it to waist/hip. Soon after that I decided I would go for time rather than length and my personal max length is classic-ish.

I have marveled at all kinds of hemlines and gone from one extreme to the other in trying to figure what I want. Blunt, fairy tale, U etc.

I started with a U shape and some layers and after growing for 1.5 years the layers are still there but my hemline is going fairy tale ... which I don't dislike. :)

My question is ... which is more difficult? To take fairy tale ends to blunt/U or the other way around?

As of now, I will just grow for another year and a half (barring a disaster) and evaluate my hemline then. I'm just worried that if I decide that the fairy tale ends need to go, that it will set me back a long way.

trolleypup
May 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
My question is ... which is more difficult? To take fairy tale ends to blunt/U or the other way around?
Fairy tail to blunt...by far.

Fairy tale is a byproduct of natural growth and shedding, blunt is scissors.

If you cut hair from blunt to the appearance of fairytale (essentially very heavy layering), the hair will naturally grow and shed from that point and in the process the faux fairy tale ends will get even thinner until the layering grows out and natural fairy tale ends are reestablished.

YMMV...depending on how close or far away your terminal length is and how your hair tends to grow and shed.

Personally, I'd say, grow it out, and then see how it looks. After, if it is displeasing, try a blunt/rounded/v-shaped hemline.

As of now, I will just grow for another year and a half (barring a disaster) and evaluate my hemline then. I'm just worried that if I decide that the fairy tale ends need to go, that it will set me back a long way.
Yup...getting to thick ends from fairy tale or tapered ends costs a lot of growth.

Angeletti
May 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, I currently have fairytale ends and am afraid to cut them because of losing all the length especially so close to my goal, but you could always wait till you get to your goal then start trimming regularly which is what I plan on doing, or to make it easier only trim an inch every three months that way you will still get some growth, good luck with it

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 03:42 PM
If talking about fairy tale ends... could someone describe them or post a picture? I am not sure if I know what are they:confused:

Heavenly Locks
May 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
If talking about fairy tale ends... could someone describe them or post a picture? I am not sure if I know what are they:confused:

Fairy tale ends are ones that have not been trimmed and have been allowed to naturally taper. :)

A lot of times, (outside of LHC) people see ends like this and assume that because they are untrimmed that they are thinner because of damage and mistakenly think that the hair is also unkempt.

Here is a thread that was made to show photos of Fairy Tale ends -

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40313

birthmarkie
May 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I've discovered that just by getting a microtrim with no length lost, my fairytale ends turn into a u-shape. U-shape is what my hair naturally grows into; I know this because I cut it straight blunt last year and it went right back to a u. However, it only looks like a u after microtrims; otherwise it looks fairytale-ish. My experience is that even with blunt cuts, ends will often look fairytale-ish when long...

Henrietta
May 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Fairy tale ends are ones that have not been trimmed and have been allowed to naturally taper. :)

A lot of times, (outside of LHC) people see ends like this and assume that because they are untrimmed that they are thinner because of damage and mistakenly think that the hair is also unkempt.

Here is a thread that was made to show photos of Fairy Tale ends -

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40313

Thanks for explanation. I see that fairy tale ends are exactly... my ends. :)

trolleypup
May 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
My siggy shows terminal length fairytale ends.

spidermom
May 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I think it's easiest to take fairy tale ends to whatever shape you want. It only takes scissors and minutes of your life. To go from timmed hem to fairy tale ends, it's pretty easy; just stop trimming. But it's going to take some time - a year or two, even more if your hair tends to grow evenly.