PDA

View Full Version : Has this style been done before?

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I was playing around with my hair while talking to DBF today, and created what I *think* is a new hairstyle, based on a chinese bun... which I shall call "the lumpybun" unless anybody else can come up with a better name.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/Cheeseistheword/user12007_pic11607_1210296111.jpg

If anybody's interested, I'll have DBF take a series of pictures so that I can show how I did it.

kwaniesiam
May 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
That looks really cool, especially with the different colored ends. How did you do it?

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 07:34 PM
(the ends are a bleaching gone wrong, LOL, but thanks :) )

Bascially, this is what I did. Sorry if it makes no sense, hehe.

Put hair into ponytail and insert stick as for a chinese bun. Separate hair into two sections, right and left, and twist both sides to the outside. Wrap up and over stick, so that the tails fall behind the stick. Keep the tails twirled, and wrap them back over the front of the stick on the same side, next to the first 'lump'. wrap tails around the outside of the bun and secure with sticks or pins.

kwaniesiam
May 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
That does make sense, basically you just wrap the split ponytail at the base before wrapping it around for the Chinese bun. I can't wait until I have enough hair for this, it's awesome! Might take a while...

capelli lunghi
May 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I think I've seen that referred to as a Japanese Bun.. It looks great! Good job!

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Actually, you do the beginning of a chinese bun like regular, but then wrap it around the stick again before wrapping around the base :)

I'm glad you got it mostly though! :)

As a note, I've got barely tailbone hair that's 4.25" in circumference, so thinner hairtypes can probably do this way earlier.

capelli lunghi
May 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Actually, you do the beginning of a chinese bun like regular, but then wrap it around the stick again before wrapping around the base :)
Yep.. I think that is a Japanese Bun, then! I like it!

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Awesome, it does have a name. 'Lumpybun' sounded sort of rediculous anyway :P

capelli lunghi
May 8th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Awesome, it does have a name. 'Lumpybun' sounded sort of rediculous anyway :PHaha.. Although.. I can sure relate to lumpybuns.. haha

Angellen
May 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Oh, how excellent. I've been looking for a new easy bun. :)

I think I'll wear this tomorrow.

Kiraela
May 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Awesome! I can now report that it holds quite securely too(at least for me), since I've been wearing it all evening, cooking, playing on the floor with the cats, working on a sewing project, etc. and the ends haven't even started coming loose!

meichigo
May 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I actually really like the name lumpybun XD

If you could post pictures to go with the written directions, I would be very appreciative.

julya
May 9th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Yes, please do post a few pictures showing how you made that lovely bun. I have a hard time understanding style instructions without visual aids.

freznow
May 9th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I just thought that no matter how you wrapped your hair, if you did it the ponytail+stick+split in two-wrapped way it was a chinese bun? Isn't that why it is said to 'look different every time'? Well, that's what I thought, so in my opinion it's just a chinese bun, a very unique one, but still just a chinese bun.

Philomela
May 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
This looks absolutely fantastic, yet I have to admit I can't seem to figure out how to go about putting it into practice. A series of pics would be muchly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Phalaenopsis
May 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I really like it. It's a nice variation of the chinese bun, I love the 'japanese bun' name. I can't wait to try it!
And please do post instruction pictures. :)

capelli lunghi
May 9th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I found the pic of the Japanese bun I found before.. Here is the link.. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?do=picture&groupid=51&pictureid=9633 There is also a link there to instructions.

Kiraela
May 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM
That's it, indeed! in case you don't want to join the group, here's the link to the instructions (with illustrations) http://www.castlemountaindesigns.com/techniques/japanese_bun.htm

My camera's being... difficult, so I can't get a series of photos at the moment. :/ The illustrations show it better than I could anyway, I think. Hehe.

OhioLisa
May 10th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Haha.. Although.. I can sure relate to lumpybuns.. haha

Bwahahaha! I hear ya. :o