PDA

View Full Version : Looking back on your journeys

McFearless
May 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Have any of you regretted not getting regular trims?
I'm at that stage where its time to decide if I'm going to grow out the damage and cut it later or get a big chop and start fresh..and I'm wondering what you all have done.

In the long run I'd like to save as much hair as possible.

Thanks in advance for all the replies:)

Sunsailing
May 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I have no regrets, but I always got regular trims.

I wanted mine to look nice the whole time I was growing it. So I got regular trims every 12 weeks. I had a standing appointment with my very trusted stylist. She would only take off maybe 1/8" each time, but it kept it in great condition the entire time. And guess what? It still grew and I hit waist in about 3.5 years. (I've since cut it back a little.) The key was to get a stylist that would do exactly what I ask for.

It's a personal decision. Some people want length no matter what the condition. Others only want healthy hair, regardless of length. It's a personal decision that only you must be happy with. :)

McFearless
May 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to cut it because health is important to me...but arggh I just want to see length. My hair is so damaged I have to cut it more than it grows.

missjessiecakes
May 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I was ruthless. I chopped the mullet and its about time to get layers redone to avoid triangle head. The first got rid of quite a bit of damage the layers are so I can wear it down. But I wouldn't want my bad hair to ruin all the work I put into my LHC hair. But thats just me. Many people babied their ends and hair so they could keep the length. Pick which works the best for you.

Loreley
May 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Well, didn't regret it but I trim every month now. Last year I didn't trim for (only!) 4 months and then I had to cut an inch so it didn't worth it. I decided to thicken my ends up a bit now, because I'm not that far from my goal length, so I cut 0.5-1 cm every month. :)

Ludde
May 16th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Maybe. When I worked a whole winter-season in icy saltwater I did not have time or strength to take care of my hair and in summer most of my hair simply broke off. Perhaps if I had trimmed often or oiled regularily I would have stood a chance of keeping it?

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I, too, was ruthless. I had no qualms about chopping off the damage. I regretted (because I didn't exactly WANT short hair) causing the damage in the first place. I also regretted not trimming regularly (at the time it hadn't occurred to me to S&D and use sharp scissors at that!) because the kind of damage I had traveled up.

jera
May 17th, 2010, 01:22 AM
During my first year at LHC, I trimmed off damage every three months. No big chops, just two inch trims. It was crappy because I felt I was getting nowhere,and I wasn't, but now I'm glad to have trimmed off that damage because my hair is much healthier,( and longer), for it. :)

aksown
May 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I chopped about six inches off when I switched to SLS/cone free. It was velcroey and gnarly looking so I asked the stylist to whack it and I don't regret it in the least. I wasn't on LHC yet but I would have done the same thing since the damage was way too bad for rehab.

kittensoupnrice
May 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I was ruthless in chopping out the perm I had foolishly gotten in college.

However, since I cut out all the damage, I have not bothered trimming my virgin hair.
I found that the ends do get a bit velcro-y, but it hasn't gotten any worse, and isn't bad enough to bother trimming just to get that "fresh end" feel.
I also love seeing all my new tapered (new growth) ends slowly catching up with my longer "trimmed" blunt ends.

I suppose if I were trying to maintain a blunt or U-shaped hemline that I'd trim more often. But I like my naturally forming V enough that it doesn't bother me.

Capybara
May 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I guess it depends on how you want your hemline to look like :shrug: I don't trim very often, but I also don't mind it if my ends get a little uneven. Right now, I'm a little interested as to if my hair will grow into a V-shape naturally, so I'm letting it grow with minimal trims. It's really up to you. There are pros and cons to trimming regularly, doing a big chop all at once, and not trimming at all.

You may want to read this blog post on the subject: http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

HTH :flower:

And Welcome to the LHC!!!

Sunny_side_up
May 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM
A time span of over a year and a bit i was getting my mum to do regular trims to rid my hair of layering, over a week after my hair was finally all evened up i got layers done again:monkey: So far i've avoided any trims for about 4 months, thats not happened in a long long time:meditate: Those regular trims did make my hair feel nicer to comb and run my hands through for the first day or so, but appearance wise, there was not much growth progress, my hair didn't look different like the straight blunt cuts in magazines(i've never owned straighteners so theres always kinks and waviness).
A good year and few months of completly ignoring my hair when i was 16/17 saw me go from bobs and shoulder to a healthy looking BSL hair. Though nowadays im more conscious of being kind to my hair its not going to be ignored in the way it was, it certainly will be given a chance to grow and grow:D

Sarahmoon
May 18th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I've gone without trims for almost 4 years and don't regret it. I don't wear my hair down too often, and when I wore it in a bun or braid the damaged ends weren't visible. When oiling the ends, it wasn't too obvious when I wore my hair down either. I just stopped doing that the last few months before my trim because the hair started to grow unevenly.

MsBubbles
May 18th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I tried both -

- growing with no trims
- growing but cutting off half my growth each month

I found out within a few months that NOT trimming was a complete disaster, because I have old highlights and blow-drying damage. The tangles, splits and cotton-ball-like halo were not worth the extra cm length gain each month.

It's frustrating to have to do that when everybody else enthuses about their great length gains every month, but if I hadn't trimmed that tiny amount each month I'd have lost far more length later as the damage traveled upwards.

Rapunzal2Be
May 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Well, I'm still quite short (APL) and don't consider myself to have enviable hair or anything, but I'll still share.

I had a stylist trim my hair last May and then went ten months without cutting/trimming at all. I do not have split ends and I don't have damage, but my hair is very fragile. So I have taken to henndigo and coconut oil and shea butter and diluted shampooing to baby it. I still have/get some breakage, but I do my best.

My goal was to not trim until I saw a need, but last month I read a thread about trimming by the lunar schedule (https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart) (there are supposed to be days when trimming may promote more growth) and I thought that sounded interesting, so I asked my Mom to dust my ends on that day, and I trimmed my almost-four year old daughter's hair and bangs (just to even things up, she has waist length hair that's had only one trim in her life).

I've decided now to follow the lunar schedule and dust my length on the growth days (I need all the help I can get!).

When taking my hair photos I see that my hair is very wispy and see-through for at least the last three inches (which frankly, is most of my "length") and so my hair does not lay as pretty as most people here, but in real life it looks much better and if I wear it down I mostly wear it pulled to the front on each side, or else I wear it up (which looks better and better as it gets longer and I can do more with it). So rather than chop off those three inches, I'm going to keep growing and keep dusting, figuring that when it gets longer either the wispy ends will look fairy-tale-y OR I'll cut the three inches then, when I'll still have length afterwards.

BattahZ
May 18th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Still on my journey, but IMO getting trims is a must. I would rather have slightly shorter hair that was thick to the ends and undamaged than hair that was long, but with really damaged and thin ends.

I just got a cut on Saturday, actually, and I had to take off a little bit more than I'd originally planned in order to even out some layers that were looking like a growing-out mullet ;) Yeah, it's shorter, but it feels a LOT thicker and now I feel like I can comfortably grow it out and have it look good.

Either way, it'll take some time to grow out to the length you want in good condition. In my opinion, it's better to get there gradually instead of growing and then having to do a big chop and start over. Plus, I think the longer you leave the damage the more likely it is to travel up the hair and require you to cut off more hair in the long run.

JaclynBailey
May 18th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I personally would trim. My hair grows fast though... so maybe I dont worry as much about loosing length...

Melisande
May 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I had only tiny trims and my ends are still in less than optimal condition. I baby them, I oil them, I hide them in buns, and sooner or later, I'll say good bye to them. But I'm very glad that I went for the length. I am nearly at tail bone and can now freely choose my length ;-)

I did Feye's method every couple of months, and took off only some millimeters from the ends. If I had to do the journey again, I'd do it the same way.

DARKMARTIAN
May 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
This may make some of you gals sick.....but I have had I think one trim in the last several years...

Aside from keeping it clean though....Im beginning to wonder if I have long hair simply out of neglect......:o

spidermom
May 18th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I went for one year without trimming (2008-2009), then had to have more cut off over the next six months than I lost in an entire year with regular trimming. I had lots of traveling splits that were 4-6 inches up the hair shafts. That never happened with regular trimming. I think I've cut enough off to be ahead of the game now, and wouldn't you know it? We're too broke for me to afford to see my pricey but awesome stylist, and I can't self-trim evenly to save my life.

ccaswick
May 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've gotten annual trims now for about a decade or so-ish. Cannot get much beyond waist length. Think I'm going to try no trimming for a few years and/or self-trimming (a bit scared I won't get a straight line or an even looking U-shape), but ready to get over that. Anyhow, lots of this is trial and error, like anything else personal. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

LILBERT
May 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Im growing out my layers currently and maintaining my length. Im trimming about 1/2 - 1" a month and get slightly frustrated at loosing the length, but i dont regret it one bit (ive been doing this for nearly a year now.) I grew my hair out without doing this in the past and my layers got so split i gave up and cut, i regretted not getting trims.

Honey39
May 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I go to the hairdresser every three months and get about 1/2 inch to an inch trimmed. Works for me, my hair is in great condition and actually, hair DOES grow! For me, it's never been a race to get long hair, I don't mind dawdling along and having healthy, even hair the whole time. I like wearing my hair down almost all the time though, so maybe that's why.

In the past, I used to not trim because of cost, and although my hair grew long quickly, it often looked a bit rough at the ends. I am better to it now, but I still am a bit fan of trimming regularly to keep it healthy.

JenniferNoel
May 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Well when my hair was very long several years ago, I had defined fairytale ends and loved them. I kept dying it black over and over and never really trimmed that much. So it's safe to say I have no regrets. I'm trimming more frequently this time around though because I love my layers and bangs and plan to keep them, but also, as I've said before, a thick-enough hemline means a lot to me.

Chamomile betty
May 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I began with really damaged (colored, teased, over styled) short layers. I let it grow and gradually trimmed 1/2 off about every other month. Of course I am not talking about how many times I cut layers back in to let them grow out again. It's been a long journey lol.
I think you can maintain your length and just take the tips off. In retrospect that's what I wish I would have done.

hth

jel
May 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM
How is your hair damaged? Can you salvage the ends by giving them moisture or protein and protect them with oils or cones?

I have not trimmed my hair since I started growing almost 5 years ago, until yesterday :D. I have reached my ultimate goal, and now want to maintain around hip. I wanted to get from shoulder to tailbone as soon as possible, and I have absolutely no regrets - I babied my ends and did S&D when I felt like it. I also happen to like fairy tale ends (and I even started my hair growth journey with "artificial" fairy tale ends, as my hairstyle was very layered and razor cut) which helps!

Artsy
May 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I have chopped off my black hair dye from the waist length to shoulder. It was quite a transition, but then I was going for constant trims and didn't notice how I reached BSL. I am going for trims about every 3 month, but every time I get layers, I have to trim a lot more probably because of the friction. So now I'll try to trim at home and try to get rid of the nasty layers
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENTS (http://mmjp.org)

klcqtee
May 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
When I first started growing my hair was fried, but I didn't want to trim because I wanted long hair (and I wanted it right now!). I was growing at about .3" per month. I've since trimmed a few inches, S&D, and started babying it, and now it isn't breaking off all the time, and I am getting .75" per month! I wish I'd've trimmed sooner so I'd have been gaining more length all along, but that's alright.

McFearless
May 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.. I really appreciate it.

I think regular trims will help me grow out my layers. I've gone off all heat in Dec09 and my hair has improved.. but I'm dragging along 3 inches of brittle, crunchy, thin, completely straight ends. I have curly hair. No splits though(no idea how i escaped that one). Does that type of damage travel up?

I also have longer hair in the front than back which makes me not want to cut but I think it'll be for the better.

Thanks again:)<3

McFearless
May 21st, 2010, 06:46 PM
How is your hair damaged? Can you salvage the ends by giving them moisture or protein and protect them with oils or cones?

I have not trimmed my hair since I started growing almost 5 years ago, until yesterday :D. I have reached my ultimate goal, and now want to maintain around hip. I wanted to get from shoulder to tailbone as soon as possible, and I have absolutely no regrets - I babied my ends and did S&D when I felt like it. I also happen to like fairy tale ends (and I even started my hair growth journey with "artificial" fairy tale ends, as my hairstyle was very layered and razor cut) which helps!

Congrats jel! It must feel great to reach your goal. :blossom:

jel
May 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Congrats jel! It must feel great to reach your goal. :blossom:

Thanks McFearless! It feels great, but in honesty, I also felt a little deflated without a goal to concentrate on... That's why I decided my new goal is to maintain between waist and tailbone, and enjoy long hair! :D

going gray
May 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hi, In my case I prefer my hair to be healthy & shiny, so quality over guantity. Regular trims around every 2 months or so, are very important to achieve my goal, BSL.

CurlyZ
April 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I used to get a trim and highlights a couple times a year.
Due to health reasons I couldn't leave the bed for months.
When I saw myself in the mirror after that time I was devastated.
But I liked how healthy my virgin hair was. That's when I decided to grow out the bleach.
I haven't had a trim in a year and my ends have been very dry and damaged.
So I decided to chop it all off.
I wouldn't have chopped sooo much off if I wouldn't have had a two toned head.
The roots just blend better in with the shorter hair.

jojo
April 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I went 2 years when my hair was short with no problems and thought I could do it again at waist; huge mistake. My hair is so fine it needs regular trims, ive just had to cut nearly an inch off due to nasty ends, so yes I do regret it. My hairs priority has to be looking healthy!

Nevvie
April 10th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I went through the same thing recently (length vs healthy). 2 1/2 years ago I lost quite a bit of my length to relaxer damage. Between then and last January I trimmed maybe 2-3 times total and trimmed very little each time. I didn't really get many split ends so I thought my hair was healthy, even if it was dry. It wasn't until recently that I realized that my lack of split ends and (what I thought was) extremely slow growth were both caused by breakage. Yup, my hair didn't split it just broke right off instead. I wasn't quite sure how to deal with ends that broke off so I started looking online for help.

That's when I found this site and I have to say my first back of the head shot was a HUGE wakeup call. My ends were uneven, various lengths, had funky tapers all over the place and I actually had a patch of ends that was so thin it was almost like a low hanging bald spot. From the looks of the pictures I thought I'd have to chop 5-6 inches to even it out. Instead I did some intense hair therapy and started trimming back little by little. I though for sure this would be a long term project but within 2 months my hair has made a near full recovery. I lost all of my growth to trimming (which is a shame because once it stopped breaking I've had some fantastic growth of 1+ inch per month) plus I lost probably 2 inches or so of the length. It's hard to tell though because it was so uneven before.... I may have lost closer to 3 inches off the longest few stragglers. Amazingly though many people think it looks longer now that's it's evened out and healthy. :)

Even though my hair could potentially be 4-5 inches longer at this point I'm 100&#37; happy with my choice to focus on healthy and evened out ends. It looks much, much better and the way it feels is even more amazing. I have a couple more sections to trim off and then I can focus on length. I am SO looking forward to that! I do sort of regret not trimming but at the same time I'm thankful for the lessons I learned from it.

spidermom
April 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I posted earlier in this thread, and once again I've discovered after a year of no trimming that the damage to my ends was substantial, and I had to get more than the entire year's growth cut off because fighting with my tangles every day was making me miserable.

With regular trims, I get about 5-1/2 inches of new length per year that I get to keep. From now on - regular trims. My hair does much better.