PDA

View Full Version : Plopping made my hair... straighter??

Kaileida
May 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I read about plopping last night and decided it was worth a try, wrapped my hair up in one of dad's old t-shirts and went to sleep. I woke up and took my hair out, and lo and behold my hair is the straightest it's ever been without copious brushing/heat of some sort. So... what happened? Did I do it wrong? Or does plopping just not work for some wavies?

Fractalsofhair
May 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
It makes my hair straighter as well.

Kaileida
May 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I know it's not supposed to work for straight-hairs; maybe it's because my hair is getting straighter as it grows... I'm not sure, but I am quite disappointed!

tanya222
May 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Ummmmmm....

Plopping?!?

Flynn
May 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Tanya222: Plopping (http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair)

Kaileida: yeah, actually, that happens to me occasionally, too. It's quite weird! I'm not sure why. I do know that handling my hair too much as it is drying makes it go straighter, so maybe that's all it is... ???

Amraann
May 16th, 2010, 08:28 PM
My hair at my length (tail bone) only has waves at the ends so if I plop I use a loose scrunchie.
I kind of ball it up on the top of my head and then use a cloth scrunchie to secure it.

It works pretty well for me. Livens up waves throughout.

farewell_nancy
May 16th, 2010, 08:32 PM
You might want to try some different techniques. I've only done it twice, but I varied my method and the results were significantly different. It worked better for me when I put my leave-in in the shower and plopped with my hair sopping wet without touching it at all (I just hung my head upside down and gave it a good shake). In stead of piling it on top of my head I lay it on top of the towel, folded the extra towel over it and then rolled that up and held everything in place with a headband. I got lots of nice wavy strands like that since my hair was preserved in the clumps it made while sopping wet.

When I put my product in later, allowed it to get drier than sopping and piled it on top of my head the result was kinda terrible--it just looked messy.

manderly
May 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I really dislike plopping, actually. It gives me weird wonkieness.

tanya222
May 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Flynn: Oh - thanks!

gi2121
May 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM
You said you wrapped your hair, dir you pile it up on the top of your head? Because if you simply wrap, it won't do anything for the waves. You have to pile it on top so that it can take this "accordion" shape. I fon't know how you did it, I'm just trying to see what could have gone wrong.
Also try to just scrunch the hair with some product when it's damp, that works pretty well even without the previous plopping.

julliams
May 17th, 2010, 02:49 AM
When I "plop" I basicall scrunch through a towell or T-shirt but I don't wrap it up once I've "plopped". I leave it out to airdry and it always gives me lovely curls and waves. Try the following:
1. Wash hair (however you do it)
2. Conditioner hair (miss step one if you CO)
3. Comb through with a wide tooth comb with condish still in
4. Rinse (I rinse with cold for shine) and squeeze water out.
5. I squeeze more water out using my towel or even wrap it up in a towel for a bit if I'm doing something else like shaving etc.
6. Run a leave in or clear gel through wet hair
7. Use your towel or an old T-shirt over your hands and scrunch your hair, leaving the scrunch hold for about 5 seconds or so. Repeat all the way around your head.
8. Now DO NOT TOUCH your hair until it is totally dry. This is the hardest step as it will look a bit straight at this stage and you'll be thinking you need to scrunch more - but you don't. Every time you want to touch it, stop yourself and go and have a peak in the mirror instead. As it dries it just gets curlier and looks it's best when totally dry.

Give it a go and see what you get. It's how I did my siggy.

x0h_bother
May 17th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I am a wavy, and plopping does not work for me. It gives me like manderly said, wonkiness. I'm probably just not curly enough.
PS I have done well with twisting out..my hair hates scrunching but you may have better results.

LoveMyMutt
May 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I read about plopping last night and decided it was worth a try, wrapped my hair up in one of dad's old t-shirts and went to sleep. I woke up and took my hair out, and lo and behold my hair is the straightest it's ever been without copious brushing/heat of some sort. So... what happened? Did I do it wrong? Or does plopping just not work for some wavies?

When you plopped, did you lay the t-shirt down on a flat surface, then put your head upside down and sort of lower it down to the t-shirt? You want all your hair on top of your head and to sort of accordian-fold it down in the t-shirt; that is what makes it go into good spirals & waves (it's like scrunching all of it at once & holding it in the scrunched formation).

Personally I have never had good luck with overnight plopping. I usually do it for 15-20 minutes maximum. anything more than that and I just get wonky frizz.

If I have the time (rarely) I sometimes plop for 5 minutes or so, then scrunch, then re-plop for 15 minutes. That gives me the best results but I am usually to lazy to do the extra step.

You could also try twist-outs instead -- those work well for some wavies. The only time I tried it, it made my hair straight which was very strange. But I suspect I was doing something wrong, like twisting against the natural curl or something. One of these days I'll try it again.

Anje
May 17th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Maybe yours goes straighter with the extra moisture of being wrapped up all night?

I don't really intentionally plop my hair, but I've found that when I put it in a bouffant-style sleep cap when it's still damp, I get very nice waves in the morning. Call it unintentional plopping. I generally just wrap my length around my hand, drop that into the cap, and pull the thing over my head. It's usually nearly dry by morning.

Kaileida
May 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I think I may have done it wrong haha. So I'll try again. Also I tried out CO this week and it left my hair feeling so gunky and it always dried straight, but now that I've clarified it seems to have its normal wurliness back.

My silly hair is not happy with one routine for longer than 2-3 washes... It's quite aggravating and makes it hard to have good hair with any consistency. But oh well!

ETA: When I was in the hospital I would wash my hair with the baby shampoo they gave me and wrap it up with a thin towel and when I took it out I'd have these perfect corkscrew curls, but no matter how I try to replicate that it doesn't turn out as pretty. So I'm not sure why plopping used to work for me but doesn't anymore!