PDA

View Full Version : how many of you had hair which got curlier?

jojo
May 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
me for one! especially around the front and side which has started ringlets cropping up.

I always thought hair got straighter as it got longer due to the weight, but hey im happy if it want s to curl more!

Anybody else?

mira-chan
May 8th, 2008, 06:59 PM
My hair got wavier when I switched to a herbs only routine.

angelthadiva
May 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Mine has got curlier the longer it's gotten...It used to be stick straight.

GlennaGirl
May 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Opposite here! I started out somewhat wavy (just very loose waves) and am now very very straight!

Village Mama
May 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
My waves got a lot stonger lately when I added protein treatments. It sproinged up so much that my hair loks 3 inches shorter!

jessie58
May 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Mine definitely got curlier as I aged, I first noticed it around the face in the bang and sideburn areas. It's fairly curly now but goes through stages of straight/wavy/curly.

chelly
May 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
i had straight straight hair as a kid as i've gotten older its got more curly but my stylist said its mostly damage, my roots do seem stick straight so maybe it'll be straight again ::crosses fingers::

SpiralingWaves
May 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Mine has gotten wavier/curlier as I've aged, and then even more so when I started treating my hair better.

kwaniesiam
May 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
My hair is actually wavier now that it's shorter. It does hold braid waves very well though.

MeganS
May 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Mine straightens out from the weight as it gets longer, but it's always been as curly as it is now. My mom says people would compare me to Shirley Temple, come up in the supermarket and touch my hair, and ask her if she permed it (I was 2-3).

Irishred
May 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Me :)

Between pregnancies, getting older and learnign that my hair NEED moisture to stay healthy at these lengths, my hair has a LOT more wave and curl than it ever did as a teen. I would guess I was a 1b at most, now I'm a 2a pushing b.

Riot Crrl
May 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
15 years ago I was in the 1 range. I don't know if it's age or hormones or hereditary pattern or what, but cool with me.

BrianaFineHair
May 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Funny that I am reading this thread now since just today I mentioned to my daughter and showed her this odd little "wave" at my right temple hair line area. Funniest thing. I've never noticed it before. I've aways had bangs, but now they are lip level. Maybe the wave was always there with short bangs but now that I've been growing them out, the wave is making itself known :D

maskedrose
May 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Oh yeah! Once I started in on the right routine, I went from 2a to a confirmed 2c with days of thinking I may be a 3a. When I airdry untouched now my entire head forms into ringlets except for my topmost layer, which stays frustratingly 2a. Grrr.... However, I get these great tiny ringlets that frame my face that look pretty cute when I do updos :)

My mom has some great pictures of me when I was little and my hair was white blonde and covered completely in ringlets!

CurlyNinja
May 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
My hair gets curlier as it gets longer.

ETA: And I used to be a straightie until I was about 12, turned into a wavy, and then a curly by age 16!

Blueglass
May 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Waver as I have gotten older.

littlemiss
May 8th, 2008, 11:42 PM
since I started here at LHC and took some great advice of "stop brushing" and only comb my hair, and no more "blowfryers". and with that all has gone berserk, never in my life had I realised that my hair was so curlie!! check out my album and you can see the difference!!

theAnimeway
May 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
my Sister is calinig me "pretty curls" which to tell you the truth really pisses me off

swanns
May 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I had straight shiny hair for the first 13 or so years of my life, then it started getting curlier and curlier when I hit puberty. Now it's really frizzy curly at the front and wavy at the back. I don't think the lenght has really affected the curliness.

Faepirate
May 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Mine hasn't really become curlier but the curls are much more defined . I don't know whether this is due to the length or the oiling and CO-ing, but I'm quite happy about it. :)

It used to be more of a frizzy-wavey mess with the odd unruly spiral. Now, on a good day, it's defined S-waves and spirals through most of the length.

flapjack
May 9th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I used to have really really fine hair and it was very curly when I was a little kid. But with age, the hairs became more coarse and much straighter. When my hair was around my shoulder blades, it was slightly wavy but probably just 1b. Now it's a definite 1a, the weight pulls out any wave it may have had. Straight when wet, straight when dry. Definitely straighter with age and with length. And the more I've been oiling my hair, the sleeker it's been becoming. I used to have little wavy/curly flyaways but lately those are disappearing.

florenonite
May 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I've gone from stick-straight when I was wee to wavy now. I also get more waves with length, as it's more or less stick straight when shoulder-length or so.

Phalaenopsis
May 9th, 2008, 03:37 AM
In my first years of life, first I had really strawlike hair, like a haystack, then it became really straight, then it went dark and a bit wavy, then lighter again with a little bit of wave, since I was 15 or so it has gotten more straight, because since then I have very oily hair. And now my hair is 1b, and now I don't know what will become of my hair. I've found a lot of dark, coarse hairs, and those are wavy. But as I'm seeing it grow now, it is going to 1a due to lenghtgaining.

And when I'm coneless, I don't have any frizz and my hair is a lot straighter.

ilovelonghair
May 9th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Mine is becoming more wavy and I started having a few ringlets. The older part of my hair is straighter, it's the newer part that is more wavy.

Medvssa
May 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Mine straightens out from the weight as it gets longer, but it's always been as curly as it is now. My mom says people would compare me to Shirley Temple, come up in the supermarket and touch my hair, and ask her if she permed it (I was 2-3).

I have the same experience, perm on such a small kid? :rolleyes:

Amoretti
May 9th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I used to be a 1a until I was in my mid twenties.
It started getting wavy in weird segments at the back of my head and spread out to all my head over the next 15 years. I spent my teens and twenties getting perms to achieve the waves I have now. :rolleyes:I wish it was even wavier though!

jtl45
May 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I have been stick straight from crew cut to waist! I wish i had some wave just for a change!!!
Jim

saman
May 9th, 2008, 06:26 AM
My hair becomes wavier as it gets longer,but I like it ;)

Firefly
May 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I thought my hair was straightening out as it got longer, but when I tried not touching it after CWC, I am actually quite wavy, verging on curly. So, it's probably not so much that it's getting wavier/curlier as I get longer, but more that I am learning how to take care of it in such a way that the waves are showing themselves!

Firefly

nomadhome
May 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM
It's not getting wavier as it gets longer, but better care does seem to bring out the wave.

Meli
May 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I used to have straight hair, about 1b or maybe 1b/1c on good days. I was using 'cones (without even knowing it) and always combed or brushed wet hair so it would be smooth as it dried. I also had very dry length. Now, without 'cones, well moisturized hair and no more combing wet hair, I have changed to 1c/2a. Perhaps, if I'm lucky, certain routines and continued good haircare may bring out some more defined waves.

paper
May 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I always had straight as a pin hair now it has a little wave. I can't wait to see what it's going to look like long.

justinekay
May 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
My hair's got curlier and curlier too as I've got older. When I hennaed it a few years ago it went quite straight. I grew the henna out and dyed it golden blonde and I thought the curl came from the chemical damage. Now I've mostly grown out that dye and the healthier and longer it gets, the curlier it gets, especially the hair around my temples!

Eireann
May 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Definitely curlier as I get older. I had ringlets when I was little, then mostly straight all through high school and college. Lately, in my late 30s early 40s, it has been pretty wavy, and now when it is freshly washed there are a couple of spiral curls that crop up now and again. I love it! :cheese:

Islandgrrl
May 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I don't really understand why, but I've got waves now that I never noticed before - some are downright spirally - but not all over my head. It's strange, but I'll take it!

eadwine
May 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I think mine is getting more, just yesterday I found this completely round curl in my neck beard (I call those hairs that which are terminal and short back at the nape :lol:).

I am curious what this is going to lead to :)

Xanthippe
May 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Mine has gotten curlier since I joined LHC. I went from a solid 2a to a 2a/2b to now a 2b/2c. I have definite ringlets now interspersed throughout the waves. I think it is because my hair is healthier now than it was before and not as dry. Plus I stopped brushing it.

My hair also got curlier after puberty. I had 1b hair for a long time. Then my hair began getting frizzier since my parents and I still treated it like straight hair while it was getting waves during middle school.

Tabitha
May 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Mine has got a lot curlier, now that it's longer. Treating it more kindly has helped too - CO washes seem to bring out the curl. I can only CO for alternate washes though as doing it continuously led to not-very-clean-feeling scalp hair.

Having layers cut has also helped bring out the curl as my upper, canopy hair is straighter than the underneath hair.

Oberon88
May 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I had straight hair until tenth grade when BOOM, the curliness hit. Strangely enough, its getting curlier as it gets longer... yay!

spidermom
May 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Most definitely! Look at this: Oh never mind. Photobucket won't let me log in. I am absolutely astounded by the amount of curl I have these days. It used to be on the wavy side of straight -- 1C or 2A maybe. It still gets that straight by the second or third day after washing. But freshly washed and air dried and I can get curls like my sig pic (but not every time).

SarieQ
May 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Mine has definately staightened out more over the years. I used to have 2c/3a. Now it's more like 2a/2b, oh I miss my curls. Two of my kids took them and I always joke with them that they stole them while in the womb! LOL

My neighbor has 3a hair and said that it was straight when he was a kid. Then several years in the army with it buzzed and it grew in curly--his own mom thought he'd gotten a perm!

jojo
May 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
funny how pregnancy can change our hair, when i was preggers the first time, i looked like id had a perm, i honestly hadn't but my hair was really curly. your hair is really beautiful by the way, whether it be curly or wavy.x

camillacamilla
May 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Mine has gotten wavier as I have gotten older. As a child it was stick straight, now I have a straight crown/bang area, but S-waves underneath on the sides and back. Oddly enough, the wavy area is red and lighter than the dark brown crown/bang area. Go figure.:shrug:

Katurday
May 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I used to have ringlets for the longest time, then it went stick straight till about a year ago...
Now I'm beginning to see some wave. My hair is a mystery, but I can't wait until its long enough to braid.
My ponytail kinks are RIDICULOUS.

jivete
May 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Mine has definitely gotten wavier through better care. Mostly no shampoo or cones. You can really see the difference here.

http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/287283.html#cutid1

Elle
May 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't quite say that my hair got curlier, but it went from straight to wavy over the years. I wish it was still straight. :(

Stephanie
May 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
As I get older, I'm finding that my hair is developing more body and wave. If I'm lucky, it will continue into defined waves or beyond! :grin:

Jean Genie
May 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I was born with little ringlets. By the time I got into elementary school, my hair darkened to brown from strawberry blonde, and was only slightly wavy. Then puberty hit and my hair got curly again! Now I'm in the 3a/3b area.

As I've grown it out, the curl hasn't gone away. If anything, it's gotten more "ringletty" over time. Especially now that I know how to emphasize the curls.

CopperHead
May 14th, 2008, 03:13 PM
My hair has gotten much wavier as I have gotten older. I have always had waves, but they were more of a body wave type. Now, I have tight S waves that I love! No complaints here! :)

RedButterfly
May 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
My two year old daughter was born with stick straight black hair. All that hair fell out and light brown wavy hair grew in. Now at two years old, she has beautiful golden brown curly 3b ringlets.

My hair has always been a curly 3b. When it is longer, the weight pulls it into 3a curls. It is now more 3a/b at waist length.

karenpetal
May 14th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I wanted some curls but mine remained pretty much the same all through out

DecafJane
May 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Mine goes into long curls and ringlets when it gets long, especially if I let it dry when it it out.
Now, it is up the whole time and very restrained, so while it dries with a wave, it is never curly. Can't wait for those curls to come back!

nessthing
May 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I went from 1c at man-bra level to 1b at... uhhh... whatever I'm at now. Hip? That's sort of straighter!

CaityBear
May 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah...I've always had straight hair, but as my hair grows longer I get a few more natural waves and S waves...The picture of when I last got my hair cut showed a nice S wave...just one lonely one lol

ItalianFlower
May 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
My hair only curls past chin length, and the longer it gets the curlier it gets! People don't believe me when I tell them that; I'm glad you guys have this experience as well.