PDA

View Full Version : Brushing every day

otherarrow
May 16th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Okay, this might seem as a very stupid question and it might be really obvious, but it isn't to me.

A thought just came to mind when I was brushing my hair earlier; Is it good to brush your hair every day? (this includes combing too).
It might just stem from ignorance as to why you brush your hair in general (other than cosmetic) or the small paranoia from seeing all that hair in the brush (I know I'll shed it anyway).
But for someone like me whose hair isn't a total mess if I don't brush it, could it be healthy not to brush it every day? Or would it be the opposite?

Ok, noobish rant over lol thanks in advance guys.:D

neon-dream
May 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I don't brush every day, just detangle with my fingers when it needs it :). I comb if i get tangles or knots which isnt often since my hair's normally up

LadyLongLocks
May 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Personally, I almost never brush my hair. I use a wide tooth comb and even comb as little as possible. The less I handle my hair the better. My hair doesn't get too messy since I wear it up all the time.The most I ever comb or brush it is after washing. I pretty much leave it alone most of the time and my hair is very long.

otherarrow
May 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Thank you guys. I think I'll experiment a little with not brushing my hair as much to see what my hair will be like.

kjirstiben
May 16th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I imagine it has something to do with your hair texture, too. I recently went several days without detangling and I was horrified to find that it was matted slightly when I did take a comb to it. I was able to detangle the matted part with a lot of gentle coaxing, but I definitely learned that even when it's bunned or braided I need to detangle daily. My hair is fine and curly, though, and is thus exceptionally tangle-prone.

Sarahmoon
May 16th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I comb almost every day, otherwise I get stupid little tangles near the nape of my neck which are hard and painful to get out.
I think whether it's healthy or not goes two ways. On the one hand you'll probably yank out a few hairs every time, on the other hand I think it also massages your scalp a bit causing better growth, perhaps.

otherarrow
May 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you Sarahmoon I'll take that into consideration. Hmm...

Sarahmoon
May 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Of course brushing/combing isn't an option (if it makes your hair frizz or break too much for example) I guess scalp massages with your fingers should make a fine, or even better alternative.

Capybara
May 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I comb when I wash my hair, or if I'm going to wear my hair down, (been doing less of that lately, because I don't have time in the morning to comb my hair...:rolleyes: ) but other than that..hmm. I'll brush the evening before a wash, to distribute oils. Come to think of it, I don't really brush/comb my hair all that much. My hair doesn't tangle that often, because it's usually in braids (in which case I can undo them and redo them without combing), or a bun (in which case I'll only comb the scalp hairs to keep them looking neat.)

If you don't have to brush your hair, go for it! You'll save time and, if your hair likes it, it will be beneficial :flower:

chopandchange
May 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
It depends a lot on two factors:

1. What kind of brush you use
2. What kind of hair you have

A lot of brushes are nasty and can be quite damaging to the hair.

And a lot of people have curly or wavy hair, which doesn't always benefit from being brushed, because doing so can make it go frizzy.

jterij
May 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
My hair would be dreads in half a week if I didn't , so I do!

Arctic_Mama
May 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM
It depends on the hair type. I have to comb my tangles out in the evening, or I get terrible snarls at my nape. My hair, especially down there, is baby fine and very curly.

Someone with course, straight hair could probably get away with a lot less brushing or combing and be fine. I have not found gentle, slow combing to be to the detriment of my hair. Wuite the opposite - my scalp, especially, NEEDS that circulation stimulation to be heathly and I have to remove shed hairs daily or they create knots in otherwise unknotted hair.

As with everything else on this board, it really depends on your hair type, styling preferences, tastes, and time!

Ariane88
May 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I find if I dont brush my hair, even for a day, it starts to have tangles in it, after two days, those tangles become really big, after 3 days of not brushing, my hair is matted and it takes a good half hour to get to become normal. I personally have pretty straight hair so its definately not just people with curls who get tangles. I must however say that I always wear my hair loose. outside, inside, when I sleep. The wind outside especially can make it get rather tangled.

embee
May 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
For me, brushing my hair is like brushing my teeth. I am sure I have forgotten something important if I neglect it. So I brush my hair morning and night, before making my updo. I have a Denman brush. Love how it feels against my scalp.

oceanwoman111
May 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Okay, this might seem as a very stupid question and it might be really obvious, but it isn't to me.

A thought just came to mind when I was brushing my hair earlier; Is it good to brush your hair every day? (this includes combing too).

Love your signature!!

I have to brush mine everyday. I have fine/medium hair and it tangles very easily. I don't have to do it too frequently though. Maybe 3 or 4 times a day. I also like to distribute the oils from my scalp with a BBB.

Poppy V
May 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I've always been told that brushing is essential to hair growth as it stimulates the hair folicles on the scalp and in turn promotes growth. I suppose massage would have the same effect :)

DARKMARTIAN
May 18th, 2010, 07:29 AM
This probably ISNT good.....but I tend to brush my hair every few hours actually.....:o

I cant stand tangles.....

...oh what a tangled hair with a weave.......lol..:D

growing2shine
May 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM
[quote=Sarahmoon;1092978]I comb almost every day, otherwise I get stupid little tangles near the nape of my neck which are hard and painful to get out.[quote]

My nape hair doese the same :(
But I try to brush and comb as little as possible. To get rid of the worst tangles so the damage will be minimal. If I mess to much with hair I will shed more hair. :rolleyes:
Sometimes when i'm lasy I just put my hair up for several days without doing anything :D