PDA

View Full Version : Are Micro Braids good or bad for hair??

Luna12345
May 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hi guys, I have curly hair....you can see it on my profile picture.
I want to grow my hair so I've been considering getting micro braids done in oreder to avoid heat styling. do you think micro braids will help my hair grow faster and also..do u think they would look good with short hair like mine?
If You have or have had micro braids please let me know if they were comfortable and if they helped your hair grow.

Laylah
May 16th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I doubt that the micros themselves hurt your hair-rather, it is incorrect braiding or incorrect maintenance that causes damage. They shouldn't be braiding your baby hairs along the hairline, and not too tight. Micros won't make your hair actually grow faster, but it does create the illusion that your hair grew a lot because you wait a few months (usually) before taking them out. It won't make a difference whether your hair is short or not because they usually add fake hair to the braids.
Hope it works out well for you! And make sure you go to a stylist that knows how to take care of hair, not just braids super fast. :)

btw, if you don't have afro-type hair, the braids won't stay in as long, and the maintenance procedures may be different. Most likely you'll keep them in only for a few weeks.

Kya
May 16th, 2010, 11:32 AM
There's a lot of information on this subject and various results. Micro braids that are very tiny can be damaging to the hair when removed. I've worn "zillions" several times for the last 10 years. They are small, but not as small as micro braids. I visit a very experienced braider (she's been braiding for over 25 years). My hair has grown extremely long and I do attribute a lot of my hair growth to "protective styles" (such as braiding). Hair braiding must be done with extensions, otherwise your hair will mat. Extensions allow the hair to remain braided for at least two months. I always keep my braids for 8 - 10 weeks. When I wear braids, every 10 ten days or so I gently wash my scalp with water, ACV, and a little tea tree or jojoba oil and I keep my braids covered at night with a satin cloth. I condition my braids with a little jojoba oil. When I take my braids out I always have at least 2 inches of new hair growth and my hair feels wonder from the maintenance. ----- Also, give your hair a break between braidings: two months braids, two months no braids, etc. If you wear braids only, it will definitely weaken your hair. Your hair needs variety to be strong. I hope that helps. :cheese:

abbatabba1137
May 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
This is also a great way to love your hair again!
I've braided my own hair hundreds of times since I was very little(sometimes with extentions, sometimes just my own hair). The first week or so you cant get over how strange and fun your hair feels. Then the irritation can kick in, IF you let your scalp get dry. I find when my hair is braided(normally for a month and a half) I go through about half a bottle of Jojoba oil.

Then you are amazed by your hair again when they are taken out! Dont get me wrong, I love braids, but having a 'free' scalp again feels magical! Especially that first wash! Wow, what a light and free feeling!

Hope you have fun with your braids!

PS: when they come out, dont be alarmed if you see lots of hair coming out, it's just your built-up shed hairs...

Teufelchen
May 16th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I had "normal" rasta braids last summer and my hair liked it. I had to wash less frequent and the sebum was kind of washed in the braids so it was in good condition when I took them out.
The process of taking them out needs much more time then braiding, when you do it carefully.
After all I did not find any damage due to have them braided for 2,5 month.

Amara
May 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have 34ish braids in right now. Mini braids, all my own hair. I also did it myself so I could control how tightly they were done at the scalp (close to scalp but not very tight) and how gently, too, since my hair is pretty long I figured it would tangle easily as I braided.

It took me about 6 hours off and on to part the hair and do all the braids. It was free, which was worth the effort to me. :)

I used coconut oil when I did them, and have been using it every day or two since. I have been washing in the CO style and my scalp and hair have stayed happy.

I did not secure the braids at the end. I braided them all the way down to the ends, then braided them all together, dampened the whole thing, and let it dry that way. they've been staying braided nicely now when I let them out. I often wear them all up in a bun or braid though, so the ends aren't loose much. I have rebraided the ends of a few of them as they start to come undone.

I love how they feel and I can wear my hair down without tangles, and when I wear it up it looks interesting... I've gotten a lot of compliments, too - it's an unusual style around here.

They've been very comfortable. The only thing I've noticed at all is when I'm securing a bun with a stick or fork I have to be careful because sometimes it'll end up just pulling on one braid and it hurts! Redo!

I had them in for about two weeks, they were starting to be a little fuzzy but still looked pretty nice. I had a day mostly off of work so I decided to redo them - it didn't take me more than 3 hours I think since the hair was already parted - i just took one out, rebraided it, and then moved on to the next one. 3 hours seemed like a lot of time, but when I think, I used to spend at least 10-15 minutes each day combing, detangling, etc... and now I have like ZERO daily upkeep. It all evens out I suppose. Anyway it was fun to put on a movie and braid. :)

Hope some of that helps!

Luna12345
May 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Thankyou everyobody!!!....I'm gonna give it a try:)

Debra83
May 16th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Even though I have curly hair, I'm sure I would need to secure them with an elastic.