PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Supplements

christinemariep
May 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Ugh, got tired of gagging every time I take my "Schiff Hair, Skin, & Nails" due to the strong odor and flavor (even though I just swallowed it as quickly as I could, trying not to taste it). Does anyone know what ingredient in this supplement might be the smelly one? I think it may be the Selenium (from high selenium yeast). It also contains Vit D, Biotin, Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate), Hyaluronic Acid, Silica, and MSM. If anyone has any idea of the culprit, I would really appreciate that info, so that I may purchase some hair supplements that don't contain it.

Flaxen
May 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I know; aren't some of them hideous? :puke:

Discussions on some other forums say it's usually the B vitamins and that taking a gelcap form can help. Good luck in your search!

christinemariep
May 16th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I'll try to get them in a gelcap instead. Thanks for the pointer! I hated to throw out the supplements I paid for, but the thought of choking them down until I used the whole bottle was unpleasant enough that I did it anyway.

lastnite
May 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
ah...I was thinking of trying the schiff ones next time I see them on sale. I'm currently taking Nature's Bounty HSN vitamins, I don't notice any bad taste, smell or odor from them. They seem to be working pretty well for me. they do contain selenium.