PDA

View Full Version : Truly committed longhairs?

jera
May 16th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Are there any truly committed longhairs out there? :confused:
By truly committed I mean you keep growing no matter what. You don't let boredom or desire for something different change your mind, you don't chop it all off because it got a little damaged, instead you look for solutions to make it longer, stronger, healthier etc. and bun it until you find solutions. :)
And, when you reach a primary goal, you extend your desired length even further. :flower:

Sometimes I feel uniquely weird here in my commitment to long hair.

bte
May 16th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I consider myself committed.
1) I have wanted long hair ever since I can remember, certainly since age 7 or 8.
2) I have never paid for a cut or trim, and when my parents sent me to the barber shop, I used to take the kitchen scissors with me to a favourite hiding place and take a tiny amount off.
3) I always wanted as soon as I could to grow to terminal and stay there, and I have not had a trim since June 1994.

Heidi_234
May 16th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I think I fall into this description then. I've been trying to grow for more than 10 years (but was always misinformed by hairstylists!). Since joining LHC I couldn't even think of cutting my hair short, definitely not out of boredom! My only 'chop' was 2 inch and it was to get rid of severely damaged thinning ends. I'm definitely not one of the fickle people around here when it comes to length. :agree:

Loreley
May 16th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I think I'm a truly committed longhair. :) I've wanted to have long hair since I was 5. I always want it longer. :D I'm pretty close to my goal length but I'm not sure I'll stop growing it when I reach it. If I will, it will be because of the difficulties of handling it. I'm trimmer because I hate fairytale ends on myself and I want thick ends and make my hair healthier.

Katrina
May 16th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I am a truly committed longhair. I cannot even imagine that I would be bored with my hair and chop it off! If I want something different, I'll change my hairdo. Long hair always was what I wanted and LHC gave me the right "tools" to grow it really long :)

Olde Soul
May 16th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I'd consider myself committed because I've not had short hair since infancy and anything shorter than hip feels uncomfortably stubby to me. I don't see myself parting with it, and I'm thinking about shooting for knee. :D

SpeakingEZ
May 16th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I'm absolutely committed and have been since I've been about 5. I've cut my hair short-ish twice in my life--when I was 7 because my mom didn't think I was taking care of it, and when I was 12 out of peer pressure (I've become a stronger person since). Until I was 18, these were the only times scissors touched my hair.

Until 6 months ago, I thought I was doing everything right(-ish) and couldn't understand why my hair wouldn't grow, and trimmed it a few times in hopes that would help . . . but it just stayed at the length I'd trimmed it to.

I've done micro trims since joining to get a more blunt hem but other than that, I would never ever cut my hair again. I'm done waiting for long hair. I don't care if it's unmanageable. I don't care if it's not as pretty as it could be. I will baby this damage until it's long enough to not need the ends anymore.

emmabovary
May 16th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Yes, I consider myself truly committed. I refuse to trim *at all* until I reach at least BSL and then it'll just be a microtrim. The more time I spend on the LHC the longer my goal length gets. There is no words for how much I desire long hair. Also I consider it a way to prove that I can actually stick to something, for once. I'm not giving up on long hair even if it takes years to reach my goal.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 16th, 2010, 03:20 AM
When i first read the title of this thread i thought you meant people who's growing for longer than classic length :D Reading your description, i think i belong here.

After i chopped my hair (for the first and last time!) 1,5 years before, i became solidly committed. I didn't trim or bleach my hair from that moment. BUT, i must say i did wear extensions during awkward stages (and even permanent ones, as a part of after-breakup syndrome) but that's all. My hair was somewhat thinned and layered to match permanent extensions so that's the only "haircut" i got till today.

I'm not planning to trim or chop till tailbone, which is my ultimate goal. I'll have to do S&D though, since ends are very worn out by straightening so they're likely to split at some point :/ When i reach tailbone, i might grow to classic and then chop back to tailbone to get rid of bad ends, or if ends are too scraggly, i might maintain at tailbone with micro trims.

gi2121
May 16th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Sorry to crash in, I'm not a commited longhair... I just wanted to say emmabovary that Madame Bovary was one of my favourite novels :) .
Once again sorry, I'm out :run:.

DragonLady
May 16th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I am. I'm going to be this length or longer for many, many years.

Milui Elenath
May 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Yes, that's me. I've been growing my hair for 20 years since a disastrous pixie cut in my teens and I NEVER intend to cut it short. I'm aiming for classic and I hope to still be classic when I'm 120! (One should aim high :) )

BTW I'm glad for this post too. I also was wondering.

Melisande
May 16th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Yes, I count myself in. My hair has always been long, and if I cut back to shoulder length because of drastic post partum shed, I immediately let it grow again. I was never a regular visitor of hair salons and always let my hair grow. I treated it as good as I knew then - no box dyes, bleach etc, but I did perm when I didn't know the damage it made. I wanted long curls ;-) oh well.

But for the last years, I have let my hair grow, and it has gone from 55 cm to nearly 100, with only some tiny trims. I henna and treat my hair really well, and although I do discuss going back to hip because of shabby ends, this is hardly what you can call chopping.

I wear my hair up at all times. My whole style has changed for the feminine since I became aware of my commitment to long hair.

EvaSimone
May 16th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I guess I would fall in this category. I originally came here hoping for waistlength, then hiplength, and now I am 3/4" away from my tailbone. Now that I am so close to tailbone I am already thinking about classic length. :lol:

I haven't cut off more than an inch at a time since I joined up at LHC (except for my severely damaged face framing layers, I had to cut them at least six inches). Even when I get bored with my hair or think I might look better with shoulder length or BSL hair I won't cut it. I like having long hair, I like how it's special to me.

Cupofmilk
May 16th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I used to be a real longhair. I trimmed my own hair - dye damage and never did anything other than wear it up to be kind to it. Sadly I chopped most of my length off in December. To be fair - it was in a terrible mess - it's funny your hair goes really wrong when you've been very ill. I said I would never ever cut - but one day I took a longhard look at myself and realised my health was clearly more important than hair and a couple of weeks later in a fit of pique got the other half to chop it off. It's so against what I thought I was. So never say never.

Jessica Trapp
May 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I haven't been committed yet... but the men in the white coats are on their way...

:D jes

Night_Kitten
May 16th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I think I belong here too
I've been growing my hair for about 7 years now, and it never seems long enough - I always want it longer :)
No perms, no blowdriers, no cuts (only small trims twice a year), and now also oiling and wearing it up 99% of the time.

Toadstool
May 16th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I haven't been committed yet... but the men in the white coats are on their way...

I originally read it as that sort of committed!

Beatnik Guy
May 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Yes. I think long hair is in some of our souls. 8)

ericthegreat
May 16th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I'm committed ten million percent. Really, I plan on keep my hair long for as long as my body will physically allow me to grow it long. And since both my grandma and my grandpa still have fulls heads of hair on their heads to this day(my grandma once kept her hair in a braid down past her knees, and even my grandpa once had below shoulder length hair), I know I have the genetic capability to keep growing my hair long even when I get old.

The only way I'll have short hair or a bald head is if one day I happen to develop cancer and I am forced to undergo chemo. Or I happen to be in a terrible car accident or some other kind of serious accident, and the only way to save my life is to shave my head. But even then, I would pay whatever $$$ it would take to buy myself a high quality waist length or if I could find one a classic length wig, made with only the finest of human hair. I definitely am a longhair in both body and spirit, so even if I myself couldn't have my own hair be long then I would still express myself with a long wig.

Xandergrammy
May 16th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I fall into this category. I'm growing from pixie and growing out my natural color and I've had no trims in 14-15 years.

ButterCream
May 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I am committed to growing long hair as long as my health allows it, so I am not planning to give it up volunterily...

As long as I can do this:slap::boxer:to anyone who aproaches me with scissors and a crazed look on their face :brains:, I will grow my hair long.

I have never had really long hair (longer than BSL) so now I want to have it longer than ever before:D

ETA. I think I will be more than happy maintaining at tb if I ever get it that long. But no matter what I won`t be getting back to short...

Carolyn
May 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Yes. I think long hair is in some of our souls. 8)Ah yes! As you so often do, you've expressed so much in so few words! I think I was born loving long hair. I can't remember a time when I didn't want mine long. I'm very committed to having long hair but I want it lush and healthy too so I trim it. While I don't have a goal of terminal length with fairytale ends, I think I'm a committed long hair. I've never understood being bored with long hair and chopping it all off. How could I not be committed to something that brings me so much happiness and comfort?

henna4grey
May 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Count me in. I don't have a goal length (or length goal;)) but I want my hair long enough to be a longhair:D. And I have it that long already:).

neon-dream
May 16th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I would say I fall into this category, My hair's never been shorter than BSL since I was a child. I always want my hair to be longer than it is, and that extra inch can't come quick enough :)!

Ludde
May 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hm, I don't know. The hair has become dreaded, which shortens it at least momentarily, but my goal is to let it grow as long as it wants to.

melikai
May 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I consider myself committed to having and keeping my hair long. Throughout my life, I've only had short hair twice - once not by choice and once by choice. Both times after it was cut, I immediately began growing it long again. Long hair is a part of who I am.

When I first joined here, my goal was mid-back length, then waist, then hip, and now it's tailbone (classic is looking kind of nice now too... ;)). I am however trimming off bad damage. I recently took off about 2 inches, and now am not trimming any more for as long as possible - just microtrims and S&D.

EdG
May 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I think I qualify. I don't remember what it's like to have short hair. :silly:
Ed

Kitteh
May 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM

kmoc123
May 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I am truly committed...I did cut bangs, but will not cut the rest PERIOD...I really wish I wouldn't have cut bangs...I can't imagine having shorter hair. My goal is to my knees...

DARKMARTIAN
May 16th, 2010, 08:07 AM
....*raises hand*....:)

XcaliburGirl
May 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I don't know if I fall into this category right now or not.

Last year I cut my hair short because it had never been short. I needed to experience it so I could be truly satisfied with long hair without wondering "what if?"

I doubt I'll ever go shorter than APL again, but waist+ length hair is more of a natural state than a commitment to me.

To get to terminal, however, I will need to become committed. I usually start to get annoyed once I can sit on my hair.

Longlocks3
May 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I already had TBL hair when I joined. And I have yet to cut my hair out of boredom in the last 8+ years. I do cut off old damage, but I have decided to grow to term. I'm at classic now, knee is the next mini goal.

HeatherMae
May 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I don't think that I fall under this category. While I have had longer hair almost my entire life, I have never had hair loner than waist length. I am nearing waist length again, and that is my goal length. Once I get there I don't plan to keep growing, instead I will just maintain.

My hair is extremely thick and very hot and hard to style. The length I am at right now is hard enough to care for.

I admire those of you who have the patience to keep growing. Though, I am going to be completely happy at waist length for me. :)

Ludde
May 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Come to think of it... Before Internet! :D:bigeyes::ohmy::bowtome:

missmandy
May 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM
If I wasn't committed, I wouldn't be a part of this forum.

Elbereth
May 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I suppose I am committed. I would not cut my hair except for medical reasons. If "hair hazards" become a part of my life (as has happened), I cope and find ways to protect my hair. If I am bored with my hair, I play with my hairtoys and try some new styles. If my hair behaves badly, I put it up until it behaves again.

Ever since I started growing my hair, I have not felt an urge to do a big chop or do any other things I know to be very bad for hair. At the moment, my hair is hip length and has been there long enough for me to consider that it might be at terminal, or very close. Not that it changes anything. My hair can do whatever it wants and I try to keep it as healthy as possible.

Pixna
May 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I think I'm truly committed. I had long hair and then...I pixified in 2007 (for all the wrong reasons). Now I realize that if I want to have long hair into old age, I darned well better grow and grow and grow NOW, and not trim or stop growing regardless of societal pressures. When my hair was short, people told me that they always thought of me with long hair -- that having long hair was part of who I was and the image they had of me in their minds. I realized that it is the image I have of myself, too. So, I'm aiming for long...really long...because I want to be one of those old ladies with gray hair that flows past my wrinkled old butt. :smirk:

Ursula
May 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM
It seems an odd definition of "truly committed" to focus entirely on growing.

It would include someone who only just decided to grow their hair, but actually still has short hair, but intends not to cut/trim.

But it wouldn't include someone who has made the commitment to long hair years ago, already has hair that is quite long, but who trims either to increase the thickness of their ends, or because they've grown quite long and have found a long length (hip, classic, floor) that they enjoy and are committed to maintaining.

If you've had long hair for ten or twenty or more years, you're certainly committed to it. Certainly more committed than someone who has only been growing their hair for a few years, and is only just beginning to reach long lengths for the first time. Because you've made and kept that commitment, and shown it by well-established action rather than intent.

loralie
May 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Haha! Yes. Sometimes I think the way we obsess we should be committed, but then again, I love it!

I can't say I've been a longhair all my life. I can't say I didn't get sucked in by cute short haircuts, damaging dyes, and heat-burning-styling.

But. Something in me snapped last year. I got my hair cut shorter than it's been in years, it looked hideous, and it was like a light going on. I had been doing this for so long and it wasn't flattering, it wasn't good for my hair, so No. I wasn't cutting my hair. Anymore. I wanted long hair.

And then when I researched and found this lovely website and all you lovely people and it really just solidified that I would never ever again have short hair.

So now I'm 100% committed, I'm proud to have a journey, and happy to have hair that I can someday be proud of.

Siava
May 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I became committed when I joined this community. My hair isn't perfect, but I'm in for the long haul, baby.

CrisDee
May 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Fascinating thread, has caused me to look at a lot of things about myself, and maybe finally verbalize some of them.

As many have said, a longhair is who I am. It's who I always have been. But, that being said, there have been three times in my life when I've chopped all my hair off in anger and despair about another, outside situation over which I felt I had no control. It was a form of self punishment, somehow wanting to hurt myself, cutting off a part of who I was in a fit of self-hate. Each time it involved someone else hurting me, and it was as if I was saying, "screw you, if anybody's gonna hurt me, it's gonna be ME!" (and maybe trying to get back at the other person by hurting me?). So at least for me (and I suspect for a lot of others), chopping hair off isn't remotely about lack of commitment to being a longhair, or even about hair at all; it's about rage, frustration, anger, powerlessness, despair.

All that to say - yes, I'm committed to being a longhair. I just hope and pray that I will never again allow myself to get into one of "those" situations.

Lunnafindel
May 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I couldn't possibly imagine cutting my hair. It's been long my entire life - I can't remember a time when people didn't stop me in the street to comment on it - and I would feel bereft if I cut it. As it is, when I joined I cut off 5 inches of split ends and it was seriously painful - I felt terrible for days (I'm glad I did - my hair looks and feels waay better now, but it hurt at the time).
I think it's sad that a thread like this exists at all - shouldn't everyone here already be truly committed? Isn't that the point of the site?

Rivanariko
May 16th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think I'm more committed than I used to think. I started "growing" (i.e. not purposely cutting short) when I was around 7 or 8, but I still got regular trims at salons until college, and had other people cutting it until I found LHC. I still trim every few months, but that's been able to keep my hemline thick and make my hair feel so so much longer than it ever was before. I had to cut my hair about APL in high school for a play and it felt so short, I couldn't stand it. I've contemplated cutting it all off for "convenience" sake several times over the past 6 years or so, but never seriously. I love my long hair, and now that I've found this community and really learned how to take care of it and have fun with it, I don't see myself (without extenuating circumstances) ever cutting my hair again.

princessp
May 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I think I am one because I have been committed to long hair my entire life (except in kindergarten and around 6th grade). But I've got to say as a lifetime longhair, I never knew as much about my hair until coming to LHC. It would be accurate to say that LHC has encouraged a deeper commitment in me and has helped me strive for healthier and even longer hair than I've ever had (so that would only be since March :D).

UltraBella
May 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I think it's great how many people here are very committed to long hair. It's impressive and I applaud you all :)
I can't say I am truly committed to long hair, I have had my hair waist length or longer several times in my life, but I have also cut it very short several times and just last month I almost chopped it all off. I am glad I didn't though !

Aquamarine
May 16th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Well, I consider myself a truly committed longhair:) cause I've been growing out my hair since birth and never cut it off. I had occasional trims though.lol And I could never imagine "chopping it all off" ohh..that'd be like unthinkable. I'm happy with my hair although it gets boring at times and doesn't grow as fast as I except it to grow. But hey, I enjoy the journey. My goal is to grow it down to my knees (Currently, I'm past tailbone, by the way) and there I'll wait and see. Who can tell, maybe I'll go for terminal.

Okay, the bottom line is I am committed!:p

Sunsailing
May 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I agree with Ursula. I don't believe that you have to be in a state of continual growth to be truly committed to having long hair.

I had short hair most of my life, but I can't think of a time that I didn't desire long hair. But for various reasons I kept my hair short, until late 2000. My wife knew of my desire for long hair and told me to either grow it now (while I was still in my 30's) or keep it short.

I began growing in 2000 and I've had it long ever since. Have the thoughts of having some layers cut into it ever passed my mind? Yes, but thus far I have decided against it. But even if I did have some layers added, it would still be long.

People ask me all the time if/when I'll ever cut my hair. I know if I cut it, I'd want to grow it long again. Plus I have no desire to cut it.
I don't see a time that I wouldn't want my hair long. The only thing that would cause me to cut it is if I began losing my hair....don't want balding long hair. But if I did begin losing my hair, I think it would be very depressing for me. I know this sounds silly, but I believe that I would grieve the loss of my hair.

Truly committed? Yes.

UltraBella
May 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I couldn't possibly imagine cutting my hair. It's been long my entire life - I can't remember a time when people didn't stop me in the street to comment on it - and I would feel bereft if I cut it. As it is, when I joined I cut off 5 inches of split ends and it was seriously painful - I felt terrible for days (I'm glad I did - my hair looks and feels waay better now, but it hurt at the time).
I think it's sad that a thread like this exists at all - shouldn't everyone here already be truly committed? Isn't that the point of the site?

I don't think someone needs to be committed to wearing their own hair long forever to be a valued member of this site. I love long hair, but I may cut mine again. It is easy for me to grow my hair long, so sometimes I need and enjoy a change. I don't think that makes me less of a participant to these forums.

Athena's Owl
May 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Well, I have a goal length in mind. My hair is longer than that goal length now, but I've never wavered and gotten it cut off once I vowed that I wasn't ever going to cut it short again.

For me, a big chop would be going BSL. Right now I'm maintaining a length and working on getting a denser hemline - my ends are *so* thin right now!

But feeling uniquely weird? Here? How on earth would that even be possible?

Das Siechtum
May 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'd say I'm a committed longhair. I didnt cut my hair since 2005 (only once. It was about 1 and a half inch and it was for a very dear friend). I lookout (braid) and care (natural shampoo and condi without cones and sls) for it. :-) And even I do Judo which is not the most hairfriendly activity ever, it still grows. :-)

Beets
May 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I don't know, I can't really get behind seeing being committed to a physical attribute as a virtue. There may be something to be said for sticking with a goal through the ups and downs, or holding a vision that takes time even when shorter-term ideas are tempting, but both of those are characteristics, not "things." Long hair in and of itself doesn't improve your health, or make you a better person, or make the world a better place, though a lot of people tie those things in with having long hair. But I'd no sooner say that I was really committed to having long hair despite the temptations of cutting than I would say I was really committed to wearing red, despite the allure of other colors. At the end of the day, I want to be committed to ideals, not features.

Debra83
May 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I have definitely decided to grow my hair long and keep it long. I've been putting it to practice since joining this site - which helps solidify my desire to keep it growing.

Solange
May 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Indeed, I am not one of those people who cut on impulse and then regret it. If I want something different, I try a new long hair style. I last cut my hair just a bit past my shoulders when I was 17 (I'm 33 now), and then decided to keep it long. Unless my hair becomes really wispy when I'm an old lady (I don't want to look like the Crypt Keeper), it will be long my entire life.

JenniferNoel
May 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
For me, I'm too much of an artist to fall solidly in this category (I change colors quite frequently, or, ehem, used to, I feel myself slowing down a little, probably with age), but if I wasn't as easily bored I'd be able to call myself truly committed. I'm not a cutter, trimmer, yes, because the way my ends look matters to me, and I frequently change the style of bangs (they're eyebrow level now), but other than that I guess I'm pretty committed to the health of my hair, and letting it grow until I don't like it. :)

Sarahmoon
May 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Apart from this one

And, when you reach a primary goal, you extend your desired length even further. I fit the profile.

I admit I cut off 5cm of damage a few months ago (but 5cm can hardly be considered "all" when it's at classic), but that was after keeping up with split ends for almost 3 years.

Ursula
May 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Are there any truly committed longhairs out there? :confused:
By truly committed I mean you keep growing no matter what. You don't let boredom or desire for something different change your mind, you don't chop it all off because it got a little damaged, instead you look for solutions to make it longer, stronger, healthier etc. and bun it until you find solutions. :)
And, when you reach a primary goal, you extend your desired length even further. :flower:

Sometimes I feel uniquely weird here in my commitment to long hair.

Actually, the more I think about this definition of "truly committed" as a longhair, the more annoying and offensive I find it.

What kind of sense does it make to say that someone like our own Lady Godiva, who is maintaining at floor length, isn't "truly committed" to long hair, because she hasn't decided to grow longer? Or that someone like LisaJaney, who has been here for years, and who has had long hair for years, and who has helped many members with her business of selling products useful for long-haired people such as her satin pillowcases and hair turban towels isn't "truly committed" because she's found she's happiest with her hair long but not super-long? Or our lovely host Stephanie, who maintains this site for us?

Or even someone like me, who is happy to maintain at tailbone, and who has put a lot of effort into helping other people learn about taking care of their hair?

Commitment to long hair takes many forms.

And trying to define commitment to long hair so narrowly, to only people wanting more length and following a very particular strategy for getting more length goes completely against the nature of LHC as a community that focuses on helping people get long hair in a way that makes them happy.

Igor
May 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I have to agree with Ursula. The question makes me think about DYQ whose whole life is ruled by her hair. She suffers constant headaches and has to adapt everything and anything she does to protect her hair. That’s truly committed. And truly creepy in my book

Amraann
May 16th, 2010, 01:03 PM

I do not think it is sad that this thread exists.
Plenty may wish to just try long hair. Or cut it and grow it without worrying when they cut like some of us do.
I do not think that everyone here has to be truly committed. (Nothing in the TOS about that that I could find)

I am committed as I like my hair long. I do trim up my ends when they need it.
I also take care of it so I do not have to trim but like once a year.

growing2shine
May 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM
(First I just want to say that I think a truly committed longhair is someone who feel that long hair is prittier and looks better but I don't think that they have to be someone who wants hair to the floor or longer. And I don't think that everybody in here has to be that way. Just to prevent any misunderstanding.)

I am very committed even though my hair isn't that long yet. Just ask anyone I know. Most people IRL think i'm really insane.
I'm obsessed about hair especially my own. And I will never ever cut my hair, I will only trim it for health. And I have completely quit dying and stuf. (At least for a loooooong time, and I will never dye the length again. Ever.

Tresses
May 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Actually, the more I think about this definition of "truly committed" as a longhair, the more annoying and offensive I find it.

What kind of sense does it make to say that someone like our own Lady Godiva, who is maintaining at floor length, isn't "truly committed" to long hair, because she hasn't decided to grow longer? Or that someone like LisaJaney, who has been here for years, and who has had long hair for years, and who has helped many members with her business of selling products useful for long-haired people such as her satin pillowcases and hair turban towels isn't "truly committed" because she's found she's happiest with her hair long but not super-long? Or our lovely host Stephanie, who maintains this site for us?

Or even someone like me, who is happy to maintain at tailbone, and who has put a lot of effort into helping other people learn about taking care of their hair?

Commitment to long hair takes many forms.

And trying to define commitment to long hair so narrowly, to only people wanting more length and following a very particular strategy for getting more length goes completely against the nature of LHC as a community that focuses on helping people get long hair in a way that makes them happy.

I have to agree with Ursula. The question makes me think about DYQ whose whole life is ruled by her hair. She suffers constant headaches and has to adapt everything and anything she does to protect her hair. That’s truly committed. And truly creepy in my book

I have problems with the OP's definition of truly committed for those very reasons. That said, I've had long hair of varying lengths for nearly 30 years (not including the long hair I had as I child). I'm holding steady at classic, after cutting back from fingertip, and hope to always have at least waistlength hair. Sounds like committed to me.

Coffeebug
May 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I definitely consider myself to be of the long haired variety, and don't ever see myself cutting it shorter than waist. I might have to lop a bit of the length off now though cos it's just so soooo inconvenient. Plus it'd be nice to be able to wear it down again.

Quixii
May 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I think I qualify. I've never cut my hair, haven't trimmed it at all since I joined LHC, and I've never really had the desire to cut my hair. :)

bte
May 16th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I think it's a pity that some have seen a negative aspect of the OP's question.

Maybe the question isn't expressed perfectly (and how many of us can forsee what other people will read into something which is necessarily complex?), but it is a valid question. Some people in this community are here for a while as they experiment with a longer style. They may stay, they may go, they may come and go every year or so. They are all welcomed with enthusiasm by the wonderful members of this unique community. This question is addressed to those who are likely to keep their hair long for a long time. Some of those who consider themselves in this category will never cut or trim, others will maintain at a length (be that APL or floor), others will vary the length but still remain long. I welcome this opportunity to express why I feel that I am one of the committed (the white coats haven't reached me yet, maybe they are too busy rounding up everyone else) and I'm enjoying reading other posters' opinions, too.

naomimcc
May 16th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I used to be a real longhair. I trimmed my own hair - dye damage and never did anything other than wear it up to be kind to it. Sadly I chopped most of my length off in December. To be fair - it was in a terrible mess - it's funny your hair goes really wrong when you've been very ill. I said I would never ever cut - but one day I took a longhard look at myself and realised my health was clearly more important than hair and a couple of weeks later in a fit of pique got the other half to chop it off. It's so against what I thought I was. So never say never.

to the bolded: I said I would never cut, not for a million years, nor for a million dollars however after 14 years I need a change. And while I'm cutting it from tailbone to chin next week, the commitment to grow it long again is still strong. It's hair. It will grow back.:cheese: And as someone else said in this thread: long hair is in my soul.

jera
May 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'd consider myself committed because I've not had short hair since infancy and anything shorter than hip feels uncomfortably stubby to me. I don't see myself parting with it, and I'm thinking about shooting for knee. :D

I feel the same and have the same primary goal as you do. ;)

I am. I'm going to be this length or longer for many, many years.

Yeah ! :D

Yes. I think long hair is in some of our souls. 8)

That's a beautiful way to describe it. :)

I feel much better knowing I'm not alone in not getting bored or discouraged with my hair. My first year here I spent trimming off damage and felt like a troll amidst all these Rapunzels. Now I'm thrilled to be a tailboner !

:cheese:

ericthegreat
May 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Maybe the question isn't expressed perfectly (and how many of us can forsee what other people will read into something which is necessarily complex?), but it is a valid question. Some people in this community are here for a while as they experiment with a longer style. They may stay, they may go, they may come and go every year or so. They are all welcomed with enthusiasm by the wonderful members of this unique community. This question is addressed to those who are likely to keep their hair long for a long time. Some of those who consider themselves in this category will never cut or trim, others will maintain at a length (be that APL or floor), others will vary the length but still remain long. I welcome this opportunity to express why I feel that I am one of the committed (the white coats haven't reached me yet, maybe they are too busy rounding up everyone else) and I'm enjoying reading other posters' opinions, too.

I agree totally. :)
I'm sure that jera's intention was simply to ask which of our members here plan on not only growing their hair long but maintaining their hair long for an extended period of time as well. I'm sure that she definitely meant to include those of us who have always had long or longer than average hair and plan on keeping our hair long or longer than average, and also the members here who currently have shorter hair and they intend on growing it longer. And yes, I know hair length is subjective(shoulder length might seem short to someone with classic length, but it would also seem long or at least longer obviously to someone with a pixie cut) but the main theme of this forum is that everyone here appreciates the beauty of long hair. :)

MsBubbles
May 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I second Eric seconding bte :-) I consider myself committed and have found myself thinking as much over the past few weeks.

DARKMARTIAN
May 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I dont wanna be a truly "committed" longhair....

typing with a straight jacket on would be the boo's.......:D

beez1717
May 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
oooh me me (jumps up and down raising his hand like a little kid)

I got PISSED OFF when mom decided to cut the hair right in front of my ears because it was a little long. I was MAD for loosing length ANYWHERE on my head!!!

Thats how into it I am.

Toadstool
May 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not committed to any type of hair. I'm here because I LOVE hair and have always found it fascinating.

hazelnut
May 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I've wanted long hair for as long as I can remember. I'm committed.... I may not have the long hair to prove it yet... but I'm committed.:)

adiapalic
May 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'll always have long hair... it just feels right to me. :)

tanya222
May 16th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Yes - Me! Especially when "Braveheart" came out years ago & I saw Sophie Marceau's knee-length (I think, could be longer but she wears only dresses so I can't tell!) locks, that I thought omg I'm gonna attempt to grow mine like that, I don't care how long it takes! (Nobody please spoil it and say that that was a wig OK? :D)

blondecat
May 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, Im a Long hair Committed , Long Haired Lovin Lunitic.

Have Had long hair since the Late 70's, No shorter than almost waist for most of it. Now at Hip/ But very thin.

I want to grow to be the cantankerous little ol lady in a white bun.

jera
May 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I agree totally. :)
I'm sure that jera's intention was simply to ask which of our members here plan on not only growing their hair long but maintaining their hair long for an extended period of time as well. I'm sure that she definitely meant to include those of us who have always had long or longer than average hair and plan on keeping our hair long or longer than average, and also the members here who currently have shorter hair and they intend on growing it longer. And yes, I know hair length is subjective(shoulder length might seem short to someone with classic length, but it would also seem long or at least longer obviously to someone with a pixie cut) but the main theme of this forum is that everyone here appreciates the beauty of long hair. :)

Thank you Eric. That's exactly what I meant. Sorry some people misinterpreted what I intended in my post but misinterpretations will happen. I plan on continuing to grow and/or maintain, indefinitely. IE. NO major chops. :)

Yes - Me! Especially when "Braveheart" came out years ago & I saw Sophie Marceau's knee-length (I think, could be longer but she wears only dresses so I can't tell!) locks, that I thought omg I'm gonna attempt to grow mine like that, I don't care how long it takes! (Nobody please spoil it and say that that was a wig OK? :D)

I loved Sophie Marceau's hair in Braveheart. She's one of the reasons I want to be a knee lengther someday. ;)

Yes, Im a Long hair Committed , Long Haired Lovin Lunitic.

Have Had long hair since the Late 70's, No shorter than almost waist for most of it. Now at Hip/ But very thin.

I want to grow to be the cantankerous little ol lady in a white bun.

Heeheehee ! I want to be the little old lady with a super big bun too. Or a floor length braid. :laugh:

gi2121
May 17th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Lunnafindel

Well, that makes me feel kind of bad because actually, I'm not committed to long hair but I'm committed to as healthy and good looking hair as possible and I come here because people can share tons of infos about that matter. Healthy is what allows to grow long, and for me the second is an acessory possibility.
I understand this site was created for long haired folks in the first place but really I hope that it's ok for others to join and share; I'm not so sure when I read posts like this :(.

LithiaBlack
May 17th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I've been committed to long hair since I was 16 and grow it out from a TinTin haircut (=super short with a bit of a stand up bangs).

I had all my hair in the same length for almost 10 years but a couple years ago I did a hime cut and that's my best hair style decision ever. A hime cut is a japanese style that has bangs and a framing layer near the face. The rest of the hair is kept as long as it can get. For me this hairstyle means that I can wear high updos without getting head aches :D

I do trim my hair though, I want my hemline blunt cut so 2 times a year I let my mom do it for me. And each time more and more of my old very damaged hair goes away and living healthy shiny hair :)

Right now my hair reaches my hip bone (I'm short waisted) but I would love to get it to classic length (if it's possible to get it that long and still be able to have a blunt cut hemline)

/L

ArienEllariel
May 17th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I consider myself to be commited to long hair. I've never had long hair in my life and have just reached APL, the longest my hair has ever been. I plan to grow to tailbone and never have hair shorter than waist again. :) I've always admired long hair for as long as I can remember but was never able to grow it past my shoulders until I found the LHC. I am soo soo greatful for all the advice and kind words the members of this community have shared with me in the short time I have been here. Occassionaly I do see a cute haircut and contemplate what it would look like on me, but I never am tempted to cut it short and keep it that way. Long hair, I hope, will be something I will want to maintain for years to come.

Actually.. my sleep deprived mind just came up with the weirdest scenerio.. :o if someone were to come up behind me and cut my braid off after I finally reached my goal length. :shocked: It was quite horrific and kinda violent.. heh heh.. I think I'd end up in a straight jacket or jail for assualt and battery on said offender.:hatchet::boxer:

Yah.. going to sleep now before my brain comes up with more impossible and potentially nightmarish scenerios. :uhh:

jackiesjottings
May 17th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I think I can count myself in here... hope so. I had my hair cut when I was 17 because the man I was seeing didn't like it long. I then grew it again until I was 35, and it was probably just past classic. Still not sure why I had it cut then but I did, and had it short for 9 years. I did think about growing it again in about 1998, but didn't make the decision to grow it until 2005. I plan to keep it long for the rest of my life now because long hair is just what feels right for me and nearly always has. I look at photos of myself with short hair now and it just doesn't look like me! So I think I can count myself as committed.

cm006j
May 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM
How could I not be committed to something that brings me so much happiness and comfort?

Another Carolyn here (and I knit too!). I just joined today.

I'll tell you why someone might cut hair that brings her happiness...I've struggled for years with feeling guilty for having nice hair or not deserving to have the hair I want.

I've yearned for hair to my knees ever since I was a tiny child, but I've caved so often to pressure from boyfriends or others to cut it that the longest I've ever been is waist.

I've been working hard this year to let go of guilt in my life and to follow what makes me happy. No more hair cutting for me!

cm006j
May 17th, 2010, 06:32 AM
really I hope that it's ok for others to join and share; I'm not so sure when I read posts like this :(.

I'm sure that everyone who loves hair and wants healthy hair is welcome here. Maybe not this particular thread, which was started for those of us who are obsessed with getting the longest hair possible!

Hana
May 17th, 2010, 07:14 AM
If I wasn't committed, I wouldn't be a part of this forum.

couldnt have said it better myself. :agree:

halo_tightens
May 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I actually became committed to long hair before starting the growing process. I knew for a long time that I would eventually grow my hair long, probably very long. In the meantime, I played around with all sorts of short styles and crazy colors. I knew the right time would come to stop cutting and damaging my hair, and it finally arrived.

Now that the process is underway, as of a little over a year ago, the committment has turned to action. I do not plan on having short hair again. I had that time of my life; now that's over, and this part has begun. Barring unpredicted life events, as others have mentioned, my hair will grow long and stay that way. :)

GlennaGirl
May 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM
When I first came on this site, I thought it was for people who already had (have) long hair. I was surprised to see how many people were growing from short (or growing from one length to a longer length, anyway). I also figured "long" meant probably BSL or longer.

Committed? If I hung my hopes on having long hair and anything (heavens forbid!) then happened to that hair...I'd be devastated. So I wouldn't say "committed" in the way that, for instance, I'm committed to my family or my career. But I think I get what you're saying.

ccaswick
May 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I am committed; only had short hair once and HATED it -- always striving for healthy hemline and always trying to learn new braids.

marzipanthecat
May 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I think I am a committed longhair.

It's been well over 10 years without any cutting (nearer 15 years, I think, I can't remember...). I've gone past my desired length (base of spine) and as soon as it hit that long I decided I wanted ankle-length anyway!

I do confess that I reckon a lot of my commitment may just be down to laziness - I can't get worked up enough to get bored with it, I like it long, and it's really very little trouble to take care of, despite what non-longhairs think! (I'm sure a lot of you will know what I mean by that - people being shocked that I spend about 15 minutes a day on my hair, on average.)

LoveMyMutt
May 17th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Well, that makes me feel kind of bad because actually, I'm not committed to long hair but I'm committed to as healthy and good looking hair as possible and I come here because people can share tons of infos about that matter. Healthy is what allows to grow long, and for me the second is an acessory possibility.
I understand this site was created for long haired folks in the first place but really I hope that it's ok for others to join and share; I'm not so sure when I read posts like this :(.

I'm with you...I am growing my hair long and I love this site for all the information about keeping it healthy (I've had it between BSL and waist before but it always looked like a haystack because I didn't know how to care for it properly, so I cut it off every time it got really long). But I wouldn't classify myself as "committed" to long hair. If my hair got really long but didn't look good or started to get on my nerves I'd cut it in a heartbeat. I also don't like two-toned hair so if I hadn't been able to color over my henna I was prepared to cut it all off and start over.

So while I like long hair, I'm not a "LENGTH is more important than anything else" kind of person.

LaurelSpring
May 17th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I am definately committed now. I wasnt in the past. I have been committed since I joined LHC. I dont know what flipped the switch. I think it happened when I started to Henna and then found LHC. Once I got here I just knew that I wanted really long hair and would do whatever it took to get it and keep it. It has been an interesting journey thats for sure and I have learned so much. I love my hair!!

oceanwoman111
May 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I am totally committed. I will not cut my hair, besides the occasional trim to keep the ends healthy. I am a long hair person and always will be. There is no cut or style that would make me happier than having long luxurious hair. It is a source of vitality and power for me. I take supplements, oil every night before wash night, do regular scalp massages, acv and deep conditioning. I even wear a bandana while out in the sun because I don't want to damage it. I have invested a lot of time and energy ,but I believe it is truly worth it. I :heartbeat long hair!!!

I wouldn't be where I am now without LHC. :grouphug:

Alun
May 18th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Started growing mine out at age 13 from a couple of inches, had it around shoulder length mostly until I was 23, then decided to grow it really long. It barely touches my waist (if you stretch out the waves, LOL!) and isn't growing very quickly, but I'm now 52. I can't imagine ever cutting it short. I may not have the longest hair, but I'm a diehard longhair.

jera
May 18th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Started growing mine out at age 13 from a couple of inches, had it around shoulder length mostly until I was 23, then decided to grow it really long. It barely touches my waist (if you stretch out the waves, LOL!) and isn't growing very quickly, but I'm now 52. I can't imagine ever cutting it short. I may not have the longest hair, but I'm a diehard longhair.

Alun you're so cool. Where would LHC be without guys like you? :flower:

share801
May 18th, 2010, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE][Sometimes I feel uniquely weird here in my commitment to long hair./QUOTE]

Hmm, I think the vast majority here are "truly commtted" - that's why we gather here as it is hard to find IRL.

Milui Elenath
May 18th, 2010, 03:57 AM
When I first saw this thread I identified with the "uniquely weird" because for some reason there seemed to have been a lot of posts about people cutting or only into long hair for the short term.

I'm not saying that this isn't okay because I know we're all learning, we're all at different stages of hair growth and ungrowth, with different emphasis on health, colour, length etc. I also don't think everyone has to be long haired or on a journey to long hair to enjoy / embrace and learn from this site.

But even so I did identified with the "uniquely weird" and appreciated this post.

FrannyG
May 18th, 2010, 07:51 AM
When I originally came here I did cut off the damage so that I could start anew with healthy hair. Then I damaged my hair badly again, and had to chop again, because no hair care in the world could make it right.

Finally, I have found a good working routine for my hair and it's growing in thicker and healthier.

Now at last I can say I am truly committed to being a longhair. I am going to see just how long it will grow, and I anticipate having long hair for the rest of my life. I definitely want to have long hair now, longer hair in the future and long hair as an elderly woman.

Atlantic
May 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I cut my hair very short at 17, started growing it again at 18, and trimmed it to shoulder length around age 21. Aside from that, I've always had long hair and always will.

jera
May 18th, 2010, 09:12 AM
[quote][Sometimes I feel uniquely weird here in my commitment to long hair./QUOTE]

Hmm, I think the vast majority here are "truly commtted" - that's why we gather here as it is hard to find IRL.

Not so anymore. Many members are chopping off whether from damage or just boredom. That's why I asked. :)

When I originally came here I did cut off the damage so that I could start anew with healthy hair. Then I damaged my hair badly again, and had to chop again, because no hair care in the world could make it right.

Finally, I have found a good working routine for my hair and it's growing in thicker and healthier.

Now at last I can say I am truly committed to being a longhair. I am going to see just how long it will grow, and I anticipate having long hair for the rest of my life. I definitely want to have long hair now, longer hair in the future and long hair as an elderly woman.

Franny, I had the same issues when I first got here. A whole year of just trimming way damage while everyone else was growing, growing, growing. I think it makes you appreciate long hair more when it takes so much effort to grow it strong and healthy. I'm not about to chop. :bounce:

I cut my hair very short at 17, started growing it again at 18, and trimmed it to shoulder length around age 21. Aside from that, I've always had long hair and always will.

Cool !! :D

JaclynBailey
May 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I have made some depression fueled mistakes with my hair over the years. I have had my hair long and beautiful and killed it so it was worse than barbie hair. Now I am committed to having my hair long and beautiful. No more excuses!

going gray
May 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I think I'm truly committed. I had long hair and then...I pixified in 2007 (for all the wrong reasons). Now I realize that if I want to have long hair into old age, I darned well better grow and grow and grow NOW, and not trim or stop growing regardless of societal pressures. When my hair was short, people told me that they always thought of me with long hair -- that having long hair was part of who I was and the image they had of me in their minds. I realized that it is the image I have of myself, too. So, I'm aiming for long...really long...because I want to be one of those old ladies with gray hair that flows past my wrinkled old butt. :smirk:

This is exactly how I feel about my hair....

going gray
May 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM

You are so correct, this is a great thread.

3azza
May 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I think i'll be having long hair for as long as i can. I have no idea how long it will grow more. It seems it will take forever to grow, but i'll be waiting, and just trimming the bad damages.

zeldagirl7491
May 18th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I suppose acording to your 'truly committed' list, I am a 'truly committed longhair'. Well at least I will be when I get past BSL. But I would never ever cut it off due to being bored.

Nastasia
May 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I've never thought of myself as particularly committed. This is just the way I am. I've had long hair for most of my life, and can't imagine being otherwise.

Sammich
May 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Yes, yes. And YES to all of those.
I truly am, because I've been through so many instances of cutting off 'damaged' hair and it wasn't even as damaged as I thought! It led to a ton of regret of what could have been. :p
I'll never let boredom change my want to have long hair, I am stubborn in that way. If I want it, I won't give up. ;) Even if it does start looking particularly icky at the ends, I'll just pony it or braid it in some pretty way to make it look better till it grows out. OR, clarify and etc to find the problem and fix it. I would not cut unless it was absolutely incurable, e.g badly badly sticky, tangled ends that will ALWAYS knot unless cut.
When I reached my first goal of waist... my next goal became belly button length. (Down to my belly button. ;) ) I will keep growing! :)

jera
May 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yes, yes. And YES to all of those.
I truly am, because I've been through so many instances of cutting off 'damaged' hair and it wasn't even as damaged as I thought! It led to a ton of regret of what could have been. :p
I'll never let boredom change my want to have long hair, I am stubborn in that way. If I want it, I won't give up. ;) Even if it does start looking particularly icky at the ends, I'll just pony it or braid it in some pretty way to make it look better till it grows out. OR, clarify and etc to find the problem and fix it. I would not cut unless it was absolutely incurable, e.g badly badly sticky, tangled ends that will ALWAYS knot unless cut.
When I reached my first goal of waist... my next goal became belly button length. (Down to my belly button. ;) ) I will keep growing! :)

Sammich you're a lot like me. :D

teela1978
May 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't say I was all that committed to my long hair... but I have mostly followed the trend you describe. Once I grew out my roots at least. I aimed for BSL... then waist... now I'm on my way to hip...

I can't quite imagine keeping it that long forever and ever though. It'll probably go back up to BSL eventually. I do prefer it on the longer side though.

Snowcold
May 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I just wanted to say that I admire those people who truly committed!

Me myself, I cut my hair from waist to shoulder when I was twelve. I've had it for around shoulder length for six years and I'm growing out for the first time! It's gonna be a long heavy journey, especially with the weird color and the ugly layers, but I hope I can become (even if it's just a little) committed!

Cinnamon Hair
May 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I have never had (or desired) a short cut, so I think that makes me rather committed. :) As much as I dread trimming just a few inches, I can't imagine myself ever wanting a major chop.

Savvyhorsez
May 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I too consider myself to be truly commited along with many here.

Juneii
May 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I would say at least partially committed, I do irregular trims of the ends of my hair to keep it healthy. I would prefer shorter healthy hair than long damaged hair.

that said, I don't think I would be cutting my hair shorter again. I like my hair long than short.

Capybara
May 18th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I suppose I am :) I've pretty much always had long hair. Even when I donated a few years back, I made sure my hair was long enough to be below my shoulders when I cut. Other than that, I cut my hair... maybe once a year? Twice.? Cutting is not something I think about regularly, it's just not as important to me. I'd rather do a DT and baby my ends any day :D

ItalianFlower
May 18th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I think a lot of people here are truly committed long hairs...

I know I am. I haven't wanted it for as long as some of the people here, but it's because I was brainwashed into thinking that my hair would never look nice and the horrific idea of my hair being poufy AND long was too much for young me. I've been growing it for about five years, I do trim (grow to inches, cut on off) but that is because I prefer quality/being able to wear it down every day and be confident and feel pretty than to have quantity...and I will continue growing until my goal length, and then I'll maintain...

Alun
May 18th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Alun you're so cool. Where would LHC be without guys like you? :flower:

Thanks for the flower! And for calling me cool!

PS: If we're committed, does that make this an asylum?

sibiryachka
May 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I believe I'm committed. I've never managed to get past BSL, but it seems like I've spent most of my life trying to! In my early I met two women who were probably in their 60s at the time; one had steely salt&pepper straight waist-length hair she always wore down, the other had fluffy snow-white hair she wore in a beautiful Gibson girl pompadour. Both were really influential on me in other ways as well, but above all I remember looking at them together one time and thinking "That's the kind of old lady I want to be, with fabulous long hair". And I've never changed my mind about it, despite some choices that didn't exactly contribute to that goal.
The only reasons I can imagine for cutting it off again would be if I get so I can't take care of it myself any more... or if the zombies come.

theboredelf
May 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I'm definitely committed, but it doesn't feel like a commitment. Originally, I didn't have a goal, I just... stopped cutting my hair. At the same time, I didn't take very good care of it, so it ended up being tb-length for 3+ years. (In the process of trying to change that!)

After I met my fiance, (Who is also very anti-cutting for religious and cultural reasons.) I slowly stopped thinking about cutting my hair as an option at all. If I ever do, I have a whole photo album from when I was younger detailing how horrible my hair looks short.

Brenda714
May 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I have loved long hair since I was about 12 and I'll never forget this girl with butt length hair. She was my idol! I've only had short hair in the 9th grade, but I'm in a pickle right now with this layered and bangs cut, never will I do that again, want my length back to pull it back and do the wonderful updos I see here on the forums!

May
May 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I don't think someone needs to be committed to wearing their own hair long forever to be a valued member of this site. I love long hair, but I may cut mine again. It is easy for me to grow my hair long, so sometimes I need and enjoy a change. I don't think that makes me less of a participant to these forums.

I totally agree with you :) Growing long hair is a commitment but just because one chooses to trim or cut doesn't mean they're going through some kind of life crisis or are trying to 'hurt' themselves. I've had long'ish hair a few years ago and shorter in recent times and I've decided long is for me simply because it's easier to take care of and looks better on me. I love this site because it inspires me and whenever I need some support through my growing journey I know this is the best place to be :P

pennylane
May 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
As in everything in life it all depends on what committed means to you.

If committed means not cutting really short, just trimming a little when needed i am committed.

If committed includes blow drying or highlighting in a very careful manner, yes, i am committed

I am committed to BSL hair, yes, but on my own terms while fully enjoying and being happy how my hair looks during the whole journey. ;):)

luckyduck
May 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I always return to long hair. When I was younger I could wear a shorter cut and look good in it. I always grew it out again though. So, I finally decided that, no matter what anyone says, my hair will be below bsl length. I have had to trim some recently, but that was because I hadn't found this site yet. My goodness what I have learned since Sunday is unbelievable. My hair is now softer and shinier than it has been in years. I wish I had those 5 inches back! Well, by the end of the year I should be back where I was, just in much better shape.
Commited to healthy longer hair- check

jera
May 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the flower! And for calling me cool!

PS: If we're committed, does that make this an asylum?

Yeah, you are cool Alun. I love your hair. It's thick, wavy and long. Blush. :)

Sure this is an asylum but my connotation of the word is different from what you're thinking. I see LHC as a refuge from the ranks of peeps who cannot understand why anyone would want to grow and keep long hair for a lifetime. So this is definitelly an asylum. Call it political asylum.

I believe I'm committed. I've never managed to get past BSL, but it seems like I've spent most of my life trying to! In my early I met two women who were probably in their 60s at the time; one had steely salt&pepper straight waist-length hair she always wore down, the other had fluffy snow-white hair she wore in a beautiful Gibson girl pompadour. Both were really influential on me in other ways as well, but above all I remember looking at them together one time and thinking "That's the kind of old lady I want to be, with fabulous long hair". And I've never changed my mind about it, despite some choices that didn't exactly contribute to that goal.
The only reasons I can imagine for cutting it off again would be if I get so I can't take care of it myself any more... or if the zombies come.

That sounds so cool. I saw this really cool old gal at the grocery store the other day. She had while BSL braids, wore jeans, and carried an eco bag. That'll be me someday eh?:p

I have loved long hair since I was about 12 and I'll never forget this girl with butt length hair. She was my idol! I've only had short hair in the 9th grade, but I'm in a pickle right now with this layered and bangs cut, never will I do that again, want my length back to pull it back and do the wonderful updos I see here on the forums!

I knew a girl like that in school too. She was my earliest inspiration. I always envied the way she could sit on her hair. Someday that's gonna be me.:queen:

Lykaios
May 20th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Definitely a commited longhair here, now more than ever I think. I have forgone the "trendy" hairstyles and am now growing out layers (a pain, as many know), now have hair longer than ever, and am a happy hennahead!!

HairColoredHair
May 20th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I hesitate to call myself 'truly committed' considering I'm mostly lazy. (And hence too lazy to get it cut! :lol: )

nicolezoie
May 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Two words for you. Benign neglect. :D My hair just keeps on growing.

embee
May 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have been growing my hair for 20 years, out from a short boyish haircut. It's now at term and has been for several years, probably was before I joined LHC but I didn't know that then. I did an 8 inch chop right before I found LHC, a *terrible* mistake, and it took about 2 years to grow that 8 inches back again.

As I see it now, the only way I'll go short is some major health crisis (like Eric said. cancer or major injury/surgery where they shave my scalp...) so yes, I consider myself committed to long hair. That's part of how I see "me" in my mind - and always did, even when my hair was short.

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I fit this description.

I've had long hair for 44 years and I'm 56.

Sometimes I wonder what I'd look like with short hair, but it wouldn't be worth the regret, I suspect.

I DO get my hair trimmed, but it's still very long.

Sometimes, when I think about getting it cut short, it feels like I'd be cutting off an arm or a leg because it's been part of me for so long.

AriaDraconfly
May 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Completely committed, I had my hair below my hips when I was 10 and cut it because of peer pressure. I then kept it at a little past shoulder length for a while. I no longer care about peer pressure since I am now an adult and know that only my opinion counts in the long run and my opinion is super long hair is beautiful! I know what it looks like super short and despise it. Never ever again.

illumina
May 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Me, definitely! Apart from a misguided shoulder length cut at the age of 13, I've never had (or wanted) short hair. I've had pretty much waist-length hair for most of my life and thought that that was terminal for me. This always made me a little sad, as even though others thought my hair was long, it was never long enough for me! However, with the great advice on here I'm caring for my hair better and I can already see it getting past waist, finally! :cheese:

Fingers crossed for classic and beyond...

jera
May 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Definitely a commited longhair here, now more than ever I think. I have forgone the "trendy" hairstyles and am now growing out layers (a pain, as many know), now have hair longer than ever, and am a happy hennahead!!

Been there. Growing out layers is such a bummer but think how awesome it will look when you've reached your goal. :D

I have been growing my hair for 20 years, out from a short boyish haircut. It's now at term and has been for several years, probably was before I joined LHC but I didn't know that then. I did an 8 inch chop right before I found LHC, a *terrible* mistake, and it took about 2 years to grow that 8 inches back again.

As I see it now, the only way I'll go short is some major health crisis (like Eric said. cancer or major injury/surgery where they shave my scalp...) so yes, I consider myself committed to long hair. That's part of how I see "me" in my mind - and always did, even when my hair was short.

I hope I can avoid things that would necessitate the shaving of my scalp. My hair has a pulse. :p

jera
May 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I fit this description.

I've had long hair for 44 years and I'm 56.

Sometimes I wonder what I'd look like with short hair, but it wouldn't be worth the regret, I suspect.

I DO get my hair trimmed, but it's still very long.

Sometimes, when I think about getting it cut short, it feels like I'd be cutting off an arm or a leg because it's been part of me for so long.

Multi qote malfunction. :o Welcome to LHC. :) 44 years as a long hair without a chop is the longest I think I've ever heard of, even for this place.

Please don't cut just to see what you'd look like with short hair. Buy a wig on Ebay or something. :D

Oskimosa
May 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Nah.

I'm here because I don't want to have short hair anymore, and I wanted advice on henna. I'm staying because it's such a rockin' community. :rockerdud To say I'll never ever ever want short hair again is a bit of a stretch, c'mon, I'm 25 and can't even decide what I want one day from the next. Who knows what the other side of the bend holds for me :)

jane53
May 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Jera, I trim my hair a lot, so I haven't been scissors-free. But no major chop. I can get 4-6 inches cut off my hair, and people don't even notice!

But I'm getting frustrated with myself. I've been trying to do those beautiful big buns people do here, and the lazy-wraps, etc., and I can't. My hair just slides out or looks awful.

Sigh.

mimi1153
May 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Me, me!!! It's forever - as long as it will get. :cheese:

Kalyca
May 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I am definitely! I can't imagine going back to my short, chin length bobs! I am ready for the commitment to having long hair, and even though it's a long journey, I'm trying to learn patience along the way.. I'm *almost* shoulder, and I'm very happy with that. ^^ I definitely won't be cutting any time soon.. I would like to atleast reach my goal length and see what that's like.. and then if I'm satisfied with it, I want to continue on with it.

Natalia
May 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Yup thats me :). I toy with things, toss them around in my head for a while, then buy a wig or new hairtoy/oil, herb, products :p lol. I just have to be sure the desire is goingto be around long enought o be worth finding some way to have it both ways. When i got here i was between BSL and waist once i hot waist i wanted hip once i was an inch away from hip i decided TB is better. I didnt think i would before but now i wouldnt be supporised if i went for classic or a bit longer :D

jera
May 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM
Jera, I trim my hair a lot, so I haven't been scissors-free. But no major chop. I can get 4-6 inches cut off my hair, and people don't even notice!

But I'm getting frustrated with myself. I've been trying to do those beautiful big buns people do here, and the lazy-wraps, etc., and I can't. My hair just slides out or looks awful.

Sigh.

Your hair sounds unbelievable. I can't imagine being able to cut 4-6 inches without it showing. Kudos ! ;)
Perhaps if you study some of the bunning tutorials here, you'll get the hang of successful bunning.

Me, me!!! It's forever - as long as it will get. :cheese:

Me too. I'm up for terminal length as long as I can keep it healthy looking. :)

Yup thats me :). I toy with things, toss them around in my head for a while, then buy a wig or new hairtoy/oil, herb, products :p lol. I just have to be sure the desire is goingto be around long enought o be worth finding some way to have it both ways. When i got here i was between BSL and waist once i hot waist i wanted hip once i was an inch away from hip i decided TB is better. I didnt think i would before but now i wouldnt be supporised if i went for classic or a bit longer :D

Hey Natalia, how cool if you could join us tailbone - classic lengthers. :joy:

Natalia
May 21st, 2010, 01:49 AM
Hey Natalia, how cool if you could join us tailbone - classic lengthers. :joy:

Thanks Jera :flowers: !