PDA

View Full Version : Can you copy this style?

Kristin
May 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Found this style while looking for hair inspiration tonight.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ec_gWZm1ZHU/SfubY1njPxI/AAAAAAAAAA8/MY3J9vTSDSg/s320/beautiful+hair+2008.jpg

Any idea how to copy it? I know one English braid wraps around the crown, and I can see that there is an accent braid going through the middle, but I can't figure out the rest. It looks like there's a braided bun, too.

Seems like a great style for hot summer days. If you can figure this out, please post instructions. (I may need a diagram, lol.:p) Thanks!

clichepithet
May 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'll be watching this one. Very pretty. Looks like it's "just" a bunch of braids wrapped and/or then gathered into a bun. But I could be wrong. :ponder: It's happened before. :p

tanya222
May 15th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Ooooohh that is lovely! Very romantique! I'd love to know how to do that on myself as well!

adiapalic
May 15th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Wow what the heck!? That looks... beautiful! :thud:

ETA: ... would love instructions on this too.

Quixii
May 16th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Very cool! I wonder how long her hair is... :hmm:

GuinevereMay
May 16th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Looks like it's a half up, divided into three braids. The rest of the hair is braided in two braids, then wrapped around the head (but not the crown; looks like it's set pretty far back.) The three braids from the half up are strategically placed and pinned. Doesn't look too tough. It think it's the texture of the lady's hair that's really nice here. It makes everything look loose and flowy.

Loreley
May 16th, 2010, 01:55 AM
It looks lovely! :thud:

Dreams_in_Pink
May 16th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I'm not an expert on updos, but that looks like random-sized braids pinned to scalp. I think i can even see a bobby pin holding a braid in place!

ETA: Oh, and i think there's some teasing on the back of her head, i just realized it's kinda bulging out.

julliams
May 16th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I think it's gorgeous. I'm surprised at the bobby pin I can see keeping the braids together. I think if I would do it, I would try to hide that in amongst the braids. I'd love to see someone recreate this one.

tarn
May 16th, 2010, 04:31 AM
That's a great hairstyle, I could be wrong but I think variations of this would be possible on much shorter hair than you'd think. I'd love to know how long the original model's hair is as well... maybe I could even pull something like this off on my BSL hair. Hmmm.

FrannyG
May 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Oh, that's just lovely. I'm inspired to try something like that, but I fear that my hair is too short.

girloctopus
May 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Oh that looks very pretty! I like the flower accents as well. I have no idea how to recreate it though!

Kristin
May 16th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Would anyone like to try this out for the rest of us? It would be sooooo nice for someone to figure it out and make a tutorial....:D

adiapalic
May 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Just an aside, I found a place that has tons of flower accents for hair. It's an interesting little website called My Diva's Closet, here's the flower hair clips page. (http://www.mydivascloset.com/sexhairac.html) :flower:

Torrin Paige
May 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Well between the pic and GuinevereMay's astute observations, I took a whack at it. I'm going to guess that the gal in the picture has BSL to waist length hair, because I had entirely too much to properly mimic this style. Here's my attempt:
I started with 7 braids (splitting the two bottom ones that Guin suggested into four because just two were way too thick...lol). Then I tried strategically pinning them.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY2280.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY2283.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY2286.jpg

It turned out a little crazy looking to me, so I took it down and redid it in a more uniform wrapping manner. (With half of the pins of the first attempt.)
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY2289.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY2290.jpg
Better but not awesome. I may experiment with this one as I think it's a neat concept and if I can get it right, it can be awesome.

serious
May 16th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Torrin, it IS awesome!

Dreams_in_Pink
May 16th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Wow, Torrin, that looks fab! :)

LHktress
May 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
You can find the clip-in flowers at H&M (in other colors too). I have a bunch of them.

Kristin
May 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Torrin- That looks great! How did you hide all of those elastics? That is the most frustrating thing for me.

I tried it, too, but it was just a bunch of braids. I'm guessing that the model has thin and maybe shorter than BSL hair. (Mine is mid-back and thick, but I ended up with wayyy too much braid, even though my hair is no where near the length of Torrin's.)

I was thinking it would look nice if all or some of the braids were French (specifically the one on the top, to add more volume like in the Mohawk braid).

adiapalic
May 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I tried it out just a little while ago. As did TorrinPaige, I followed GuinevereMay's observations :flower:

Because of the sheer amount of hair I have, the two braids visible at the back of her head were covered by the excess of the 3 braids that are formed into loops and pinned into place.

It's not nearly exact to the photo, and aside from the HUGE amount of bobby pins visible, I really like how it turned out. It's a first try! :flower:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2670&pictureid=72136

loralie
May 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Holy great job Torrin and Adiapalic! Looks really pretty!

missjessiecakes
May 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
:lol:I was just about to come and say that TorrinPaige might be able to help you, I scroll down and there she is.

Its a beautiful updo. I bow to you ladies that can figure out how something like that. :cheer:

Jessica Trapp
May 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Oh, that is stunning! :thud:

FrannyG
May 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
TorrinPaige and adiapalic, those look fantastic!!! :blossom:

Renbirde
May 16th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hm... If I had to guess, I'd say the model's hair is around BSL. That pair of visible bobby pins are holding the ends of braids off of her nape. Good job at adapting it for longer hair, Torrin!

Debra83
May 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
wow. wow. wow.

Torrin Paige
May 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Torrin- That looks great! How did you hide all of those elastics? That is the most frustrating thing for me.

Thank you! I hate the elastics showing as well. I was at the dollar store the other day and I picked up a pack of 500 of those little clear bands. Not only are they super stretchy, but they don't tear at my hair. Since they're clear they don't show and since they're REALLY small they don't create weirdo bumps when you slide them under a braid. Woot! They are perfect for the ends of small braids...or frankly big braids. They are really stretchy. LOL. What was harder to hide were the tassels on the ends of the braids. Since I braided from all different sections of my head, the tassels were sometimes quite long. I just tried to tuck and pin. I'm definitely going to fiddle more with this idea. I really liked adiapalic's loops, so I might try to create some kind of swirly design (I might have to switch to rope braids. They tend to flex a bit better.) Yay, fun with hair!

Yozhik
May 16th, 2010, 01:09 PM
TorrinPaige and Adiapalic, your recreations are amazing!

Comparing your versions to the original photo, I'd definitely say that she must have fairly fine hair, and relatively short hair -- the second which gives me some hope that I might be able to recreate it! :)

VitaR86
May 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Torrin, OMG you must do a video on that! That is amazing!

klcqtee
May 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Are only the very long haired ladies willing to try? Well, I'm at BSL (since 40+" is clearly too long), so hopefully I will be able to do something closer to the original (though the long versions are so beautiful!). I fear my hair will be far too thick though. Pictures will be coming later this afternoon!

Sarahmoon
May 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
It looks awesome, even with bobbypins showing it still looks awesome!

GuinevereMay
May 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I love all the recreations. I was going to take a crack at it, but since Torrin's on the case, I'll watch for her interpretation. We have similar hair lengths, so I think our final result would be about the same.

I do think the model's hair is about BSL or shorter. I like the hair pins showing (or at least one or two showing.) I think it lends to the "undone" look the model has.

klcqtee
May 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Okay! I recreated it pretty darn close, I feel. My hair is layered with layers from just below BSL to APL (just for reference), and with about a 6" circumference (which proved to be a bit challenging).
My hair is a little dark, so it's slightly difficult to see, but here's the general idea from the back:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3354&pictureid=72151
The sides:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3354&pictureid=72149
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3354&pictureid=72150

From what I figure, our model seems to have BSL hair (good guess everyone!) and probably average thickness, possibly on the finer side.

I took some of the recommendations on here, but had to modify for my hair length. I made 2 braids about midway between my nape and crown, and wrapped them around. Then I slip the top 1/3 into 3 parts, and did 3 smaller braids on top. I wrapped and pinned my large braids over my smaller three. I then took my 3 smaller braids and bunned them. It only took 3 small U pins, and 3 bobby pins. Seems like a very practical, secure style. Who else is going to try?

Torrin Paige
May 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
klcqtee, that's just beautiful. :bounce:

jterij
May 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM
klcqtee, can you tell me where your pictures are hosted? My browser seems to block probably 70% of the pictures on this site. Maybe if I know the host I can make sure they aren't blocked through my firewall, etc.

klcqtee
May 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
klcqtee, can you tell me where your pictures are hosted? My browser seems to block probably 70% of the pictures on this site. Maybe if I know the host I can make sure they aren't blocked through my firewall, etc.

They're uploaded to my album. I don't think you're able to see picture until you have 25 posts. You'll be able to see them soon!

Arctic_Mama
May 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Very pretty! I bet, with some playing, you could replicate that look with some braids and bobby pins.

jterij
May 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM
They're uploaded to my album. I don't think you're able to see picture until you have 25 posts. You'll be able to see them soon!

Okay that makes sense, I hope that is the only thing the matter with pics. Thanks!

BelleBot
May 18th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Okay that makes sense, I hope that is the only thing the matter with pics. Thanks!
You'll realise as soon as you hit 25 posts the forum comes alive with pictures that weren't previously visible :)

I love the updo, but I think my hair is a tad too long for it. Might have a go at it later though. I love the creations of it so far.

Arual
May 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I really want to try this! Am thinking that my hair might be a bit longer than optimum though, from what people have said.

SheaLynne
May 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Here's my attempt. I did three braids with the lower half of hair, and two braided sections and an unbraided section with the upper half of hair (it appears to me in the original that there is some that is arranged but not braided in there, so I tried that).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=72347&albumid=4802&dl=1274206571&thumb=1.25

I'll try arranging differently and see what I get. Still a nice 'do that is very comfortable and is holding up (about 13 Amish pins in mine).

ravensinger13
May 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
My version is in my album, I think I have a little too much hair to do it exactly as pictured, and please excuse the bobby pins and errant ends.