PDA

View Full Version : Dreads.

Underlig
May 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Thinking of getting some. Been looking at videos of people with really awesome looking ones, and well... I'm liking the idea. I'm figuring it's probably a good idea to do it now, since I'll still have quite a few years left in school before I need to deal with the woes of full time employment.

Hmm.

McFearless
May 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Have you wanted them for a while or is just an urge? Either way I think it would look awesome with your bright red hair. I miss mine being that colour :P

Lélie
May 17th, 2010, 01:40 AM
If you want some, go for it now :)
I've never done it on my hair, and now i regret it !
I won't do it now. First because it would be more difficult with finding jobs and everything, second because past 22, my scalp turned very sensitive (i can't stand small braids ... get really itchy and painful with red spots) and i guess i couldn't stand locks.
And third : this is the first time in my life that i take care of my hair and i really enjoy having (well ... trying to grow !) long hair.
So, go for it if you like it, but take your time to find someone who know how to do it right !
:cheese:

Fethenwen
May 17th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I had some serious dread fewer a few months ago :p But it went away because I figured it might get in the way for me to get a trainee place at a hair saloon. It might be quite a huge turn off in such a place.

Yeah, dreads are not the most job friendly hair :/
That sort of sucks, I myself love dreads, and would certainly feel more relaxed if I would get service from a person with dreads. But there are always those you hate them and think they are dirty.

illumina
May 17th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Why don't you try using fake dread extensions? This way, you can decide whether you like them or not before taking the plunge. They're great because you can put them in/ take them out as suits you (although it does take ages to install them so it's not like you can take them out for work and then put them back in in the evening...). You can get ones that look really like natural dreads or ones in crazy colours, whatever you prefer. I quite like wool ones and have worn them in a variety of colours from maroon through to bright pink and turquoise. You just braid them into your hair.

www.hairextensionsforum.com has loads of information and pictures etc.

DARKMARTIAN
May 17th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Im doing it tomorrow......

JK btw.....But i too have thought about it

Ravenwaves 88
May 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Do it now while you still can....for all of us who really want to but can't!!!! I want some in the future if I get tired of my long hair and need a change before I decide to chop.

I wonder if it's harder to get them to form if your starting with really long hair. (The slow way, just hiding the comb!)

Sarahmoon
May 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'd say go for it since you've been wanting it for some time and right now would be a good time for you. However, when looking at awesome pictures, did some of the people in those pictures have the same hair type as you? Just asking because it will look different on someone with thick hair than on someone with fire, thinner hair, where you might see bald spots between the individual dreads.

paisley
May 17th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Start making a small dread in the underhair.. wait half a year and see if you like it. It's very very different how they turn out on different people.

VanillaTresses
May 17th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I love dreads! If I could be guaranteed that I would never have to get a job or if I had a job where dreads were accepted and loved <3 then I would definitely hide the comb right now! I have considered going that route many times.