PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding A ) Length and B) Neck hair and braids

Locke
May 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hey everyone.

My first question is something a little more vain. Since last October, I haven't really had the impression that I've added any length at all. I'm looking at my recent pictures and I just can't see it. Is it just me? It made me realize that I never measure, even if I'm sometime thinking about achieving a longer length.

Second question is regarding braids and neck hair.

As can be seen in the attached picture, the hair at the back of my head won't stay still. I just can't seem to tuck them into my braid when I make it. It's even worse as the day goes by since they puff out to the side and give me the most horrible look ever. Some of it is just too short and some of it is simply growing at a snail's pace. How do the Braids Professionals deal with those rebels?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/tanathos/Moi/15mai20102.jpg

Khiwanean
May 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I don't measure either, but hair growth generally does slow during the winter. That and its normal to have your growth stall at times. Mine just seemed to start growing again and it finally reached waist! I was an inch or two above waist for about.. four to six months.

As for nape hairs they never really bothered me, so I don't really have any suggestions for containing them. I just checked since you made me curious though, and mine are all around BSL. Strange. Maybe you just have to wait for them to grow out? :shrug:

spidermom
May 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe changing the way you divide your hair to braid will help. Try taking 1/3 of the upper- most layer of your hair as the middle strand, and then divide the remaining hair into half, one being the right strand, the other being the left strand. Now bring one of the side strands over the middle strand, then the other side over the middle, and so forth for your braid.

Ash
May 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I shave my neck. :) Seriously though, it may help to braid when your hair is decently wet. I have let some of my neck hair grow out (it used to be shaved to above my ears) and those pieces will not stay in a braid unless I braid wet.

clichepithet
May 15th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I would suggest a faux-french braid, that way it keeps itself lifted off your nape/collar and won't rub out during the day. I think that's what spidermom is suggesting too. I know there was a thread or something around here somewhere not too long ago on the subject but drat if I can't find it. Now I have to find it. /ramble. I'll be back when I do. *stomps off determinately*...

ETA: Yay! Clicky-clicky! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA)

Locke
May 17th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I'm not sure the faux-french braid is something I'll be able to do right away, but I'll make sure to practice it. I'll have to see if it helps any with the shorter hair ;)

Thanks for the link!
----

I don't measure either, but hair growth generally does slow during the winter. That and its normal to have your growth stall at times. Mine just seemed to start growing again and it finally reached waist! I was an inch or two above waist for about.. four to six months.

I didn't have the best nutrition (poor student) this winter, so I'm sure that didn't help much, but at least it's all better now.