PDA

View Full Version : Mind Body Spirit of Hair

Purdy Bear
May 15th, 2010, 06:05 AM
In the Eastern philosophy you have a mind, body, spirit and this needs to be treated in a total sense before you get well. Im beginning to understand the body part, with better nutrition, care, etc.

What do you think is the mind and spirit bit?

ericthegreat
May 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Actually, in many sects of Buddhism, hair is considered to be the ultimate symbol of vanity. That is why Buddhist monks have their heads clean shaven. Their view is that living a life with only the simplest and the barest of all necessities is the true path to Enlightenment. So yes, hair does hold a specific power in Buddhism, but it is in fact viewed as something that holds you back instead of helping you move forward.

Flynn
May 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM
If body is nutrition and what gets called "preventative health", mind is mental discipline, I'd think

Spirit I'm afraid I can't comment on. I don't have a clear concept of it.

FrannyG
May 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Treating your mind would be ridding yourself of old anger, bitterness, resentment, etc. Forgiveness for yourself and others is very important in Eastern philosophy. Also using your mind as a tool to positively envision your goals is useful. The aim is to rid yourself of any thoughts that are negative and that may sabotage you.

For Spirit, it's a little bit harder to articulate. Meditation and emptying out the mind is said to be good for the spirit. Following your intuition and doing the things you love is good for the spirit. Holding yourself back from what your heart wants you to do (as long as it's within your own moral code) out of fear or perhaps listening to someone else's opinion, is poor for the spirit.

These are just some examples. I'm sure there are many people who have more insight than I.

Purdy Bear
May 15th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone!

FrannyG, you mention holding yourself back from doing what you love to do, that I do all the time. Iv added to my list of things to change.

I brained stormed the Mind Body Spirit thing and heres what I came up with:

MIND

1. Journal stuck issues
2. Confidence building exercises
3. Visualisation
4. Meditation
5. Self Hypnosis
6. Rest and Relaxation
7. Positive Mental Attitude
8. Positive self talk
9. Affirmations
10. Self Love exercise
11. Exercise the mind with crosswords etc.
12. Learn new things
13. Music
14. Improve own Psychology.

BODY

1. De-stress
2. Better nutrition
3. Exercise
4. Better hair care routines
5. Massage
6. Brushing/combing/scritching
7. Self Love exercise
8. Good gentle updos
9. Supplements
10. Oil Treatments
11. Aromatherapy
12. Reflexology
13. Hand Yoga/ Balayam
14. RELAXATION
15. Enjoyable experiences
16. Love
17. Indian Head Massage
18. Noting ingredients of items used.
19. Alternative Remedies (including MSM, DE)

SPIRIT

(this can be a bit contraversial depending on your belief systems, but this matches mine. I apologise if it is affensive to anyone, that is not my intention for shareing but in hope it can help others).

1. Building own energy and not giving it away.
2. Unblock chakras/energy centers
3. Healing - contact, absent, self
4. Removing stuck issues
5. Prayer
6. Meditations
7. Following intuition and guidance
8. GROUNDING
9. Self Protection
10. Self confidence and love
11. Balancing energy
12. Wrong energy usage - correct paceing
13. Head Bump reading
14. Auric cleansing and balancing meditation
15. Ask God for the answers.
16. Accepting healing and help
17. Karma and Dharma work
18. Appropriate stone placed on photo for healing
19. Correct Fung Shui and lay lines.

GoddesJourney
May 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
My hair has a spiritual side. I view it as an extention of my self, like flowing tentacles reaching out into the universe. I'm sure most LHCers can at least identify with the reaching out part (and grabbing things) part.

linda g
May 15th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I'll throw out a few mind/spirit associations that growing long hair has for me:

Patience
Letting go of fear
Self-acceptance
Embracing joy
Appreciation of authentic beauty
Connection with nature

Calista
May 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Purdy Bear, what a great idea for a thread! :thumbsup: Isn´t it interesting how we all seem to have a clear concept of the "body" part of our long hair journey but are much less clear about the "spirit" part? Or even the difference between the latter two? Does that tell us anything about Western society?

About the spirit (I think ;)): I feel it is important to know the reason why one wants to grow long hair. The real reason, deep down. "Because I like it" is not a reason. I think it can help one greatly to be aware of one´s innermost reasons for growing long hair.

JenniferNoel
May 15th, 2010, 01:13 PM
It's not that deep or complex. Everything in the universe is all one thing and it is what it is, and I personally don't need to talk about it here. :taz:
I treat my body the way I want my mind to be treated, nutrition, physical activity, and beauty.
I put my mind at ease by simply not thinking too much, and only thinking about good things and what needs thinking about, and that paired with treating my body well relieves stress, and therefor helps my body to produce the right hormones and everything to grow strong, healthy hair.

ETA - Not to say I don't respect anyone's beliefs, believe in what makes you happy, it all plays out in the end anyways. The key to life, stress relief, and nice hair, is enjoyment and fulfillment. And to each, this is achieved differently.

melikai
May 15th, 2010, 02:39 PM
One thing from much of Eastern philosophy and religion (Tibetan Buddhism in particular) that can help us in the process of growing long hair is mindfulness or sati, which is a bit difficult to put into words, but is essentially those brief moments we have of pure awareness. This awareness is very much centered in the present, and in terms of hair it can help us to appreciate the innate beauty our hair has right at this moment, rather than always focusing on some ever-future goal to be reached. It can teach us to find joy and contentedness in the now, rather than always being dissatisfied and restless.

Purdy Bear
May 16th, 2010, 03:00 AM
The Precious Present! Being in the moment rather then thinking of the past or the future, but concentrating on the now.

Tangerine
May 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
One thing from much of Eastern philosophy and religion (Tibetan Buddhism in particular) that can help us in the process of growing long hair is mindfulness or sati, which is a bit difficult to put into words, but is essentially those brief moments we have of pure awareness. This awareness is very much centered in the present, and in terms of hair it can help us to appreciate the innate beauty our hair has right at this moment, rather than always focusing on some ever-future goal to be reached. It can teach us to find joy and contentedness in the now, rather than always being dissatisfied and restless.

You put it into words beautifully, melikai. Great reminder to try and practice this.