PDA

View Full Version : The Big Stall

YesitsReal
May 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Have any of you ever experienced a super-long stall in growth?

My hair, which used to grow as fast as 1" per month, has been stalled between APL and BSL (about 23") since before winter. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I mean, I take care of it. I wash about every two days using a shampoo bar, vinegar rinse, and conditioner, then air dry and comb. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I eat well. It doesn't seem to be damaged or split; it just won't grow. The only thing I can think of is that my sleep schedule is a bit funky because I work nights--could that be it?

There's no way this is terminal length (it better not be terminal length!! ). Did anyone here ever have periods that your hair just wouldn't grow? Even really long periods? I'm starting to get discouraged here. :mad:

Thanks!

julliams
May 15th, 2010, 12:08 AM
How are you measuring - because if you are only using a tape measure, I have found that I will have the same results for months too but by using photos each month I can see that my hair is actually growing.

YesitsReal
May 15th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I don't have a digital camera, which is why I don't photograph. I suppose I could try doing it on my phone, though...

Olde Soul
May 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I don't know if mine won't grow necessarily but it feels like I've been TBL forever. I found one of my old 8th grade pictures and was TBL there too. No major chops or anything. >.<

Dreams_in_Pink
May 15th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Mine stalled just above the APL line for weeks. I managed to get through by starting to take multivitamin and exercising :)

Flynn
May 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Mine seems stalled at the moment, too... and it usually grows extremely fast. I'm very stressed and down at the moment, though, which might have something to do with it...

Purdy Bear
May 15th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I would be intested how stalling works. As an Alopecian Im painfully aware when it wont grow, and I was wondering other then the so called immune system theory, it might actually be an over active stalling period.

Sunny_side_up
May 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Somedays it appears my hair is shorter, but this is due to the styles i wear it in, especially if its still damp and gets put in a double pony:rolleyes: So i'm not paying it much attention for a few months, and looking at pics is my way of seeing it is growing which is pretty reassuring. Fingers crossed for summer growth! She says on a cloudy may day:p
Happy growing:)

Flynn
May 15th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I would be intested how stalling works. As an Alopecian Im painfully aware when it wont grow, and I was wondering other then the so called immune system theory, it might actually be an over active stalling period.

Immune system theory?

Purdy Bear
May 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Immune system theory?

Alopecia is said to be an over active Immune System, where it attacks the follicles of the hairs and thus can kill them off. Personally I dont think is a full explanation, since there are way to many causes just to be put down to that. Give me ten minutes with the top expert - I wish!

Anje
May 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Oh yeah.... Annoyingly, it was right when I joined here, too, and was measuring regularly to find that my hair decided to take a break from the growing process for about 5 months. It actually made up most of the length by the end of the year, though. My hair has a history of growing in spurts, but I've normally only noticed when it's going really fast (several inches in a month once).

FrannyG
May 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM
A lot of people have had perceived stalls along the way, and then by the end of the year, they'll have grown an average amount. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as far as measurement is concerned. It can be very difficult to get an accurate measurement with a tape measure.

I strongly suggest that you start taking monthly photos. Although you likely won't see any difference between one month and the next, you will see a difference between this month and say, four months ago.

A camera phone is just fine for that. Try to wear the same top in every photo. If it has markers on it, such as stripes or lettering, so much the better.

In the meantime, just keep caring for your hair as you have been. I know it takes a lot of patience, but you will see progress. :blossom:

Flynn
May 15th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Alopecia is said to be an over active Immune System, where it attacks the follicles of the hairs and thus can kill them off. Personally I dont think is a full explanation, since there are way to many causes just to be put down to that. Give me ten minutes with the top expert - I wish!

Aaah. I think you're absolutely right in expecting that it's not a full explanation: with autoimmune (MS, psoriasis, etc) and inflammatory diseases (asthma, Crohn's, etc), the inappropriate immune response is only part of the answer. It's the mechanism of the disease, not the cause. It may be that alopecia is indeed due to your immune system going mad, but the bigger question is why.

Konstifik
May 15th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I don't think you should worry. Winter-stall happens to my hairgrowth every year. I've gained about 0.5 inches since october. if summer has arrived where you are, your hair will probably spurt in growth again anytime soon. :)

McFearless
May 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
My hair has stalled for MONTHS at a time. You just have to be patient. It'll start up again for sure.:thumbsup:

YesitsReal
May 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your comments and your support!

:D

countryhopper
May 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
How about trying some head massages? It will increase the circulation to your scalp. anyhow, it can't hurt!

hanne jensen
May 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM
My hair has started its summer stall. Every summer my hair barely grows at all. I start growing again after around 20 July.

christine1989
May 17th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Mine just wont seem to pass APL however it has quite a bit of wave so it is hard to tell.

ArienEllariel
May 17th, 2010, 02:49 AM
My hair has stalled for the last couple months. It's rather frustrating really as I want to reach BSL by the end of the year. :(

Bast
May 17th, 2010, 07:54 AM
My hair has stalled for the last couple months. It's rather frustrating really as I want to reach BSL by the end of the year. :(

You and me both!

Themis74
May 17th, 2010, 08:04 AM
You and me both!

Can I be a third?!

Either my hair has stalled or my armpits are dropping.

Debra83
May 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM
All my pictures are taken with my cell phone camera. Works for me!

I stalled a bit I think at the beginning of the year, I hadn't noticed much growth, but I did do a self trim somewhere in there. Then I was looking at pics and noticed it HAD grown after all! I NEVER do the tape measure anymore since I first started here - just couldn't get the hang of it.

countryhopper
June 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
My hair seems to be stalled when I look at it in the mirror, but when I measure it every month, I see that there has been growth. between .5-1 inch a month!

I'm still wearing it up every day so that it doesn't rub against the chair or couch and break off

YesitsReal
March 24th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Well, after over two years of being almost completely stalled, my hair has started to grow again!! :D

Since January or so I have picked up around 2 inches (stretched), and so now I'm only about 2 inches away from waist! :yay!:

I don't know if it was the scalp massages, the reduction in cones, the S&Ding, or if it was just my time to start growing again, but I'm grateful. I might be at waist sooner than I thought!

UncommonTart
March 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Mine stalled for about two years as well, but then it picked up again, and I'm still going strong. My stall was around waist length and now I'm a bit past fingertip length.

bunzfan
March 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I found that if i go by measuring it seems to not be growing but by taking pictures you can see its growing strange, maybe its a wavy hair thing.Anyway i'm glad its growing again:)