PDA

View Full Version : LHC roots hate heat; Damage loves it

x0h_bother
May 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
So I guess Evil is better by Evil, and Good is ruined by it!!!
I flat ironed my hair today because it is my birthday; I haven't for a long time. My roots absolutely rebelled. My length remembered flat ironing and responded the usual way, which is actually nicer than before now that I don't flat iron all the time.
My roots have been quite hydrated with the new things I have been doing- extremely less heat, more moisture, and less pulling. However, I did notice there has been less sebum distributed from the roots down the shaft now that I am not making my hair shafts straight. So my roots are happy and hydrated when curly, but the length misses getting the sebum distributed from flat ironing. So there was some help that the flat ironing gave to my damage.
I will have to do a better job of using a bristle brush to distribute from the roots. I will also have to be patient and wait for the evil to grow out and the good to grow in. :(:)

frizzalot
May 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Happy Birthday!

laurathexplora
May 14th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Happy Birthday! I have the same kind of thing going with my hair. I never really used heat much before, but if I ever use a flat iron now, my hair says "Ha, Yeah right!" So, I guess thats a good thing. I love your sig pic. The blue shirt complements your color nicely.

spidermom
May 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I really don't know what to make of your post. (your comments do not compute)
But happy happy birthday!

Themis74
May 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I really don't know what to make of your post. (your comments do not compute)
But happy happy birthday!

I think she's saying that her healthy hair didn't like the flat ironing but that her 'damaged' ends did :)

I hope that the OP had a great birthday!! Make sure that you baby that hair tomorrow!!

spidermom
May 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Nope - damaged ends do not like flat-ironing; that does not compute.

chopandchange
May 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Spidermom, maybe her damaged hair is so damaged that is normally feels rough to the touch, so after flat-ironing it, it feels deceptively healthier due to the unaccustomed temporary smoothness.

OP, I don't really understand your post either. I have never heard of a flat iron "distributing sebum" in the way that you describe. The only thing hair straighteners are good at is scorching hair. :confused:

But, anyway, happy birthday! I'm glad you're having a good hair day on your birthday! :cheese:

contradiction
May 14th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Spidermom, my damaged ends love flatironing and my roots hate it too. I think it's just because the damage hair is weaker and easier to manipulate.

But wait, yeah, flatironing doesn't distribute sebum. LOL.

JaclynBailey
May 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Happy birthday! I noticed that my hair didnt like being blown straight after I cut off the last of my dye! Interesting....

x0h_bother
May 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Spidermom, maybe her damaged hair is so damaged that is normally feels rough to the touch, so after flat-ironing it, it feels deceptively healthier due to the unaccustomed temporary smoothness.

OP, I don't really understand your post either. I have never heard of a flat iron "distributing sebum" in the way that you describe. The only thing hair straighteners are good at is scorching hair. :confused:

But, anyway, happy birthday! I'm glad you're having a good hair day on your birthday! :cheese:
Yes, my damaged hair is rough normally, so when flat ironed it gets a deceptive "smooth" feeling as the cuticle is temporarily lying flat.
Straight hair distributes sebum better than curly, so that's what I meant. Not necessarily flat ironing, but in my case that's how I get straight hair.

x0h_bother
May 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
PS-Thanks all for the birthday wishes!

eezepeeze
May 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I get what you're saying. After flat ironing your hair in the past, the strands were straight and as we all know, sebum travels more easily down straight shafts than kinky ones. So, now that you don't straighten, your roots have plenty of sebum, but your curly hair shafts do not, because the curls don't allow the sebum to travel down the shaft as easily, even with brushing. So, you're saying that even though flat ironing is "evil", it's silver lining is that the sebum flowed more easily.

I get it . I'm a curly head, too. :-)

Happy Birthday!!!

09robiha
May 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I know Im late on this, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I ahve noticed my non damaged hair acts completly differant and absorbs farrr less dye when I do my hair.

x0h_bother
May 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I get what you're saying. After flat ironing your hair in the past, the strands were straight and as we all know, sebum travels more easily down straight shafts than kinky ones. So, now that you don't straighten, your roots have plenty of sebum, but your curly hair shafts do not, because the curls don't allow the sebum to travel down the shaft as easily, even with brushing. So, you're saying that even though flat ironing is "evil", it's silver lining is that the sebum flowed more easily.

I get it . I'm a curly head, too. :-)

Happy Birthday!!!
Thanks! And yes this is exactly what I mean.
But, I did lots of unnecessary damage on my birthday and have concluded that it's not worth it to straighten for my DAMAGED hair let alone my roots. The "white dots" and splits and straw-like ends in need of trims is not worth it. :(

spidermom
May 17th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Oh, o.k., I get it. You're saying the damaged hair feels and looks healthier with flat ironing, not that it IS healthier.

Beatrice
May 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I'm so glad it's not just me. I tried the flat iron a few times, back in the day. My hair isn't that wavy, so it should be easy, right?

I try it at the low setting.

Nope.

OK, now the medium setting.

Nope.

OK, super-duper HOT!

But my hair just laughed, and laughed, and laughed. It was straighter and shinier, but not pin-straight, and the effect wore off quickly. Likewise, I once spent 2 hours blowdrying my sister's hair straight and then ironing it in sections. It stayed semi-straight with a body wave for about, oh, 15 minutes.

We finally learned to embrace the poof.