PDA

View Full Version : coconut oil

beachlover
May 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Does anyone use coconut oil on their hair??? I want to try it but wanted to see if others have had any success with using it. Thanks!

neon-dream
May 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Yes I use it daily, just a small amount. There's tons of information on here about it, just search around a bit and you'll find lots of helpful threads! :)

Heidi_234
May 14th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Many folks here use it with great success. It's probably one of the most popular oils here, if not The most popular one. :) I personally can't leave without it, and I'm not sure how I managed before LHC. :p

ccaswick
May 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I use it the night before a shampoo -- just coat my hair from nape on down -- then braid it -- then cover with a white cotton sock -- and in the morning, shampoo. I might try using it on the ends -- just a tad -- every morning, probably can't hurt and I do have one helluva JUMBO canister right now.

Trixie33
May 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I was using jojoba oil but have switched to coconut oil. I use a small amount every couple of days and then slightly more the night prior to shampooing.

saskia_madding
May 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Coconut oil made my hair terribly crunchy and gross. I gave up on it and switched to camellia oil.

I say give it a try, and switch if it doesn't work. There are tons of options for hair oils around and plenty of info in this forum. :)

spidermom
May 14th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Coconut oil is a great favorite around here. Lately I apply quite a bit the day before I plan to wash it, and I love what it does for my hair. I used to apply it after washing, but I don't like how dust and lint stick to it (or any other oil), so now I use a coney serum after washing. Nothing sticks to it.

manderly
May 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Does anyone use coconut oil on their hair??? I want to try it but wanted to see if others have had any success with using it. Thanks!

Welcome to the boards. You may want to try out the search function before posting new threads, as you will find coconut oil is quite popular around here ;)

Norai
May 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I used to use normal coconut oil, now I use fractionated coconut - it is much lighter (liquid instead of a solid at room temp).

toby
May 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
hey all im new-- so you all use coconut oil!? just the stuff at the healthfood store or is there a certain kind?

ccmuffingirl
May 14th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Yes, I love it. I use it every day, morning and night. My hair just drinks it up and it leaves it feeling so nice and soft. I just use regular virgin coconut oil that I buy from whole foods. It's the kind you cook with. I've used refined coconut oil before, and it made me break out in little bumps all over my face and neck (I use it on my skin too). I get no averse reactions using the unrefined virgin coconut oil, plus I get the added benefit of the nice coconut scent.

UltraBella
May 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I use coconut oil as a treatment over night. I slather my hair in it and put a shower cap on before I go to bed. I wash in the morning and then apply a tiny bit to my ends. I love how it feels.

voluspa
May 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Personally, I found coconut oil didn't work out for my hair. I tended to end up with dry, frizzy, oily hair. I have found jojoba absorbs best into my hair. There are many oils out there, so just experiment to see which one works best. Although coconut may be the place to start since it is so popular.

EtherealOde
May 15th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I love it. I use it daily on my ends, nape hair, and canopy. A couple times a month I will do a deep oiling before a wash (I CO wash). The conditioner gets out the oil just fine as long as I let it set on my hair awhile before rinsing it off.