PDA

View Full Version : To Cut, or Not To Cut...

Linnykinz
May 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I've got an issue here ! I've recently begun my growing journey (as of April 14..almost one month and already some progress :happydance:) and well, I need some advice. I've been trying to grow my hair for a while now but not as seriously. It was almost APL and then I went and took scissors to my bangs..which drifted off into my sides..and then the back of my head..and well you know how it goes. Now I'm struggling with a terrible, uneven cut that won't even all go back. I've got random little bits sticking out and it looks awful when I wear it down...

I need your opinion...since I'm so eager about my hair, and the length (about one inch in one month), do you think it would be best to
1. Get a trim to even it out, so it looks decent while it grows out
2. Wait for it to grow out to a decent length before getting a trim that I am happy with OR
3. Not trim it at all, so I am forced to not wear it down (I'm doing the wearing my hair up, challenge..for 3 months) and just let it grow grow GROW

What would you do in the situation? Have you had to deal with this before?? :D

Kathie
May 14th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I vote 1), get a trim to even it out, so it looks decent while it grows out.

Maybe as minimal as possible... it sounds like its frustrating you a little bit so this may help for a more happy hair growing journey.

A couple of months ago I got 7-inches of growth cut to bring my layers up to one length. I just wasn’t happy as it was starting to look mullet-like, the long layers were very thin and much longer than the rest of the hair. I haven’t had my hair this short in years- but I’m much happier with the result.

julliams
May 14th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I vote for 1) as well since it will be a while before you get to a point when all the layers are at a level where you are willing to cut it and you really want to be enjoying your hair now. Just explain to the stylist what happened and that you don't want to lose length but just want it evened out and made acceptable to wear out.

Best of luck and don't worry - I've done the same thing. It seems to be hard to stop once you get started and suddenly you realise that it's not what you were thinking it would be.

fashionaddict
May 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM
If you don't mind losing the progress you have already made then 1) it is. But since you are wearing your hair up for 3 months, then I would probably go for 3.:)

alwayssmiling
May 14th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Another one for 3)! I've had awful uneven, broken hair for months - I'm waiting for it to be a little longer before I have a trim. I have just learn to do different updoes, loved buying alice bands, hats, ribbons etc. I have a gel spray that does wonders for hiding faults in my hair. :)

I guess it depends on how patient you are and how much you like wearing your hair back/up. Good luck with your growing.

FrannyG
May 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I suspect after reading your post that you will be very frustrated by the uneven hemline. I'd suggest getting a very tiny trim to even it out so that you can really enjoy the growth process.

Once your hemline is the way you want it, then just grow, grow, grow. You'll only be losing a month's progress or less, but it will keep you much happier while growing. Better now than later, I think, in this case.

So I vote #1.

rusika1
May 14th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Number 1, and have someone else hide all the scissors in your house.

Seriously. Because it sounds like you're the type of person who will do it again if you get frustrated with your hair. I once had a boss who would cut her (already short) hair when she was bored/feeling down, always to fairly disastrous results. Her hairdresser finally went to her house and took her scissors away.

Sweetbaby
May 14th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I was .. well still am in the same situation. Sounds just like yours. Layers, layers, every where, bangs, too short layers on sides and back. Ughhhh ...

Anyway I'm in the third month and it has grown out some. Granted I still have to spend tons of time with it if I want it to look decent before I go anywhere. I have to straighten it or it looks absolutely mullet . Uggghhhh again.

Anyway I let mine grow for about 6 weeks after the first horrible cut then went to my regular stylist ( who did not do this awful thing to my hair btw lol) and she cut very , very micro like. Just dusted to shape it. I immediately got people saying oh your hair looks nice so it was worth it and it can continue to grow now with a little more ease and not so much stress on me.

It still looks terrible without me styling it b/c it's so very curly /frizzy in not a pretty way , ;-) , but at least I know I can look somewhat "normal" in my own eyes, which is what is important, and that makes me FEEL better.

Just make sure you stress only the tiniest amount cut possible to help it lay right.

Good luck.. I know this is frustrating for you. Try taking the long view. In a year, this will all be So much better !!!! :-) And nobody has to hide the scissors from me anymore, trust me. Nor will I ever trust my hair to a stranger again.

So I learned some valuable lessons actually and you may find this experience teaches you how you really value your lockes of hair :-)) It can be turned around into gratitude that you can actually grow long hair again and it's not the end of the world .. :-)

Linnykinz
May 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you everybody for your great advice..especially Sweets, it was so nice to hear from someone going through the same hard times LOL <3
I've decided...*drumroll* #1 ! I'm going to go and get it shaped up..so I can actually be proud of my hair, even though there's hardly any of it :(( After I get it fixed I'll be going back to NW/SO, and wearing it up...maybe I will even be brave enough to ask her to take off some of the damage ! Okay maybe not..thanks again everyone hehe

Sissy
May 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
you should do whatever makes you most comfortable on your hair growing journey :) However, if it's damaged/split you should definitely trim because the damage will only worsen and make your hair split further up the shaft.

LawyerGirl
May 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
If you are wearing your hair up every day, I would leave it alone for three months and then get a trim at that point.

ETA: Oops! I see you already made your decision! Either way, happy growing :)

May
May 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I would make an appointment for one month from now and get a trim. This way you get a little length AND will feel better whilst growing! Win win :) Ask your stylist to keep the length too and stress how terrible you will feel if she cuts too much off :P

UltraBella
May 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I think you are making the right choice, #1 seems logical so you will be the most comfortable during the grow out process. Good luck !!!

McFearless
May 16th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I vote for 3. Wait until the 3 months are up and decide what to do. Do you wear your hair curly? It helps hide uneven cuts