PDA

View Full Version : Could silk sleep cap cause damage at temples?

iluvmy67cuda
May 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Im having alot of hair loss/thinning/breakage. I have PCOS constant stress and other health issues. So theres not a whole lot i can do about that, my meds arnt working. But, i have noticed more breakage and thinning/baldness on my temples. Could my silk sleep cap be causing it?? From rubbing on them when i sleep? Im using silk pillow cases now and keeping my hair loose, but i wonder if that will cause worse damage. Which do you think is safer, the pillow cases or cap?

iluvmy67cuda
May 16th, 2010, 06:28 PM
It also seems since i've been using the silk pillow cases that i have more broken hair standing up on my crown and more frizz. Anyone had issues with silk caps? or the pillow cases? whats the best way to protect my hair at night?

Fairlight63
May 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I also wonder about the silk caps. I have a Maverick cap that ties in the back & I try to tie it pretty loose so that it doesn't rub on scalp. I don't use it all of the time though because I keep waking up with it over my eyes, or pulling to the side or something. I haven't noticed any damage yet.
When I don't use the cap I sleep on a silk pillowcase & with my hair in a loose braid. I hope that the silk pillowcase don't cause damage!
I think that it depends on the cap if it is tight on your scalp or not, I think that it might cause damage over time.

RedButterfly
May 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have heard of people experiencing hair thinning around the temples from wearing satin bonnets/caps that are tight with elastic. The hair around this area can sometimes be extra fragile and prone to breakage. If the cap is too tight, it can rub against that area during sleep and sometimes cause damage. You have to be really careful with tight elastic bands on some sleep bonnets. However, the potential damage can be eliminated in how you wear a sleep cap or scarf. The trick is to make sure that the cap or scarf is not fastened too tightly in the temple area.

I find scarves easier to use and the most gentle. I have worn a silk scarf for more than ten years with no damage or thinning. I arrange my scarf so that it rests just past my ears and not directly on my hairline and temples. The scarf stays on better this way too. I also tie my scarf snug but not tight. I wear the silk scarves from tenderheaded.com.

I hope that helps.

iluvmy67cuda
May 18th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Well i havent tried a silk scarf. I actually have 2 that i havent even used at all, so i think im going to try that and see if it helps.

The scarfs i have are actually satin now that i think about it, is satin ok? I wonder if its close enough to real silk to be safe...

Purdy Bear
May 18th, 2010, 03:33 AM
It might be the type of silk your using. Im an Alopecian, and Iv been using silk scarves and silk pillowcases advertised for hair use.

I also have other silk scarves and pillowcases that are quite rough to the touch, I dont use these for now.

In the past Iv rubbed anything Im going to use next to my skin on the back of my hand, if it rubs in anyway then its not good or your hair.

Its worth having your Dr check out your meds etc, since this could be causing some of it.

iluvmy67cuda
May 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Yah im trying to find a new dr. i've been through so many with not much help. Also, i've found out scarves wont stay on my head!!! I woke up with it on the other side of the bed LOL It wont stay on. Im going to pay the extra money to get real silk scarves when i get paid and see if that helps.