PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair grow into a V shape?

julliams
May 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
My hair appears to like growing into a V shape. I had it trimmed to a perfect U at the end of March and every time I take a photo, it looks more and more like a V. I'm wondering if it's just a wavy hair thing and that's how it likes to sit (I have some layers still left) or if it's possible that those hairs in the middle of my head just grow faster than the rest???? Anyone else noticed this?

marikamt
May 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, mine does.... I really wish it didn't. I started out w/ a really soft U, and only micro-trims and it is a really deep V now.

Longlocks3
May 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I start out with even ends and they grow into a V. I think it's mainly due to an old layer, side hair stress, and other little day to day things.

Curlsgirl
May 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Not sure if mine DOESN'T or I just keep it trimmed enough that you can't tell. I have never seen it do that though.

JenniferNoel
May 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yep, I have a bit of a natural V myself. Actually more like a natural fork, no matter what I do, within three months of a trim (and regardless of the trimmed hemline), I always get a weird little W.

HairColoredHair
May 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
It most certainly does (see just about any picture with my hair down). I have straight hair, so it's not a wavy thing.

I think you should consider the fact that if you push your hair from the front back over the shoulders it's going to be shorter than the back. And the nape of the neck is lower. Maybe that plays in.

Sissy
May 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM
mine does grow into a v shape after only about 3 months after a trim. It is annoying! I'm not sure if it's aggravated by the amount of S&D I do on my sides where I notice a lot of splits, moreso than in the back. I also felt it is due a bit to mechanical damage from wearing my hair down a lot.

chloeishere
May 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
My hair grows into a U-shape-- my hair isn't entirely wavy, but it's not really straight either.

My natural U-shape is a little deeper than I prefer though.

jennifermarie12
May 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Mine does. I always figured it was because of where the hair was growing from on my head-hair from the sides has longer to go than hair from the nape does (hope that made sense).

Peter
May 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I had a blunt hemline a while ago and now it's a U shape. Oh well.

Carolyn
May 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Mine does. I prefer a blunt straight across cut and I have to keep trimming the back to keep it that way. The sides are slow growing and easily damaged so it takes forever to gain much length.

Katurday
May 13th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Mine grows in a prominent V. I guess I'm different in actually liking it.

ericthegreat
May 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Everytime I get my ends trimmed, I always ask for a one length blunt cut. When I let my hair grow wildly for more than say 3 months, the shape of my hemline always transforms into a rounded U-shape. I've never had a official V-shape in the middle......even when I let my hair grow untrimmed for months at a time, I always end up with some kind of U-shape.

Of course, no one's hair naturally grows one-length. Since the hair on the back of your neck is much lower than that hair at the sides and the hair at the crown of your head, the hair on the back of your neck will naturally be positioned lower and look longer than the hair at the sides and at the top of your head.

LadyVictoria
May 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, my hair grows in a deep V shape. I would prefer a U but I am trying to gain more length & grow out my old face-framing layers so since I wear it up all of the time, it's no biggie.

julliams
May 14th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Good to see I'm not alone. I don't mind the V - it's just something I've noticed in a relatively short time since my trim which was definitely U shape. I thought layers might have had something to do with it but I guess maybe it's more my growth pattern.

Curlsgirl
May 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I forgot to say yes my hair definitely grows in a U-shape as you can see from my signature picture. I always get it cut straight across also and it never stays that way for long. I think it's because the sides of my hair are much more vulnerable to breakage. Course I have gotten one side caught in a fan once and before that sucked into a blow dryer. :shudder:

rach
May 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM
It V's a little off center :ponder:
As it grows longer i'm sure people won't notice :p anyway i find it easier to secure a bun better being V :D

jackiesjottings
May 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Mine does too. My hair is thicker at the back so I think more hairs at the back grow to full length if you see what I mean.

jivete
May 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I think mine does, or actually it grows in a bit of a W. I'm not sure if it's because my grows that way or because of damage or a combination of both. Unfortunately, it will take a few years for me to sort that out. I've still got quite a bit of damage to grow out.

spidermom
May 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Not so far. I went one year without trimming and the hem looked more like this: WWywWyWWww

Burgundyhair
May 14th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Mine naturally grows out that way too.
I had it cut straight across to just above shoulder length about 8mths ago and it's in a definative "V" shape now.

adiapalic
May 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
More of a U, because of side-hair stress, even though I get mine cut straight across when trimmed.

3azza
May 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Mine grows from a U hemline into a V after a couple of months. I've always wondered why.

Loepsie
May 14th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Mine grows in a V-shape, but the point is more to the left >< I wouldn't mind a good V-shape but the off-center V just looks weird

Tap Dancer
May 14th, 2010, 01:27 PM
My hair grows in a perfect U shape, which is wonderful. It's my favorite hemline and it grows evenly. So even if I go years between haircuts, my ends still look good.