PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else's scalp get greasy when you put your hair up?

MakeItADouble
May 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Whenever I put my hair up longer than 5 minutes (and even then...) my scalp gets so oily and greasy. Do any of you ever get this?

For example - I can put my hair up in the AM before heading out, and it looks fine and dandy. When I come home and let it down, the hair closest to the scalp is greasier than the rest of my hair, but the rest of it is fine and not the least bit oily. Since it's heavier, it also makes my hair look a lot flatter.

I've tried looser buns, which help a bit, but not entirely. I guess I've resigned myself to it just being a characteristic of my hair, but just wanted to know if anyone else has exoerienced this as well?

centurytoolate
May 8th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yep, I have the same problem. It hasn't been quite as bad since I came here and started taking better care of my hair and scalp but its still quite noticeable to me.

GlennaGirl
May 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I think what's happening is that when the hair is down, gravity urges the hair oils somewhat down the hair shaft, distributing it. But when it's bunned up, the oils stop at the place where you've rolled the hair. It's "caught" on your scalp. Have you tried taking it down midday, running your fingers through it to distribute the oils and then putting it back up?

MakeItADouble
May 9th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I've done that, but basically, if it's longer than 20 minutes, it gets greasier than the rest of my hair.

I like CenturyTooLate's theory, and coming here has helped it a ton. Before I looked like a total greaseball, but now the hair just looks kind of old/dirty. I am just jealous of all the other girls here who can do so :D

icydove
May 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
What is your hair type, MakeItADouble? That could make a difference on how your hair looks after being put up. It also could be that putting your hair up is stimulating oil production in some way.

I think GlennaGirl's advice to redistribute the oils midday is a good one :thumbsup:

Irishred
May 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Interesting.

I have the opposite. When I put my hair up all day everyday, I am less greasy. I go easily a week with just a little greasies the last 2 days. When I leave it down, I get greasy MUCH faster and usually have to wash around day 4.

Not a lot of help I know.

Some questions that may help us help you. How often do you wash? What products are you using? Do you use a BBB? What type of up-dos are you doing? Anything else about your hair?

nomadhome
May 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Interesting. Like Irishred, I am just the opposite. Updos make for less greasiness. Maybe using a BBB from time to time would help distribute the oils?

wolf girl
May 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Yes and I have a theory about this....(uh oh :rolleyes:)

I think that the greasies are actually the oil from your hands rubbing it when you put it up. :shrug: I notice I also get them if I "flip" my hair a lot when it's down with no part. I've been trying to break the habbit of playing with it while down or making sure that I wash my hands before putting it up. It really has helped.

HTH:)

teela1978
May 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Mine does that too... I think its a result of having an oily scalp, hair that isn't very porous, and again, hair that is up and trapping the oil there. I'm just a greasy girl though. Have to wash at least every other day whether my hair has been up or not.

MakeItADouble
May 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks all. My hair type is thin, fine, and pin straight if I brush it when wet, or curly if I use a diffuser on a hairdryer and lots of product.

I wash hair every other day - I've tried going for longer and my hair just does not co-operate (or maybe it is the scalp!). I tend to get dandruff and itchy scalp a lot too, so perhaps it is just my scalp being oily to begin with.