PDA

View Full Version : Updos for Shoulder Length Hair?

pineconejg
May 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have ideas for cute and comfortable updos for shoulder length hair? I am getting frustrated with all the dos I try and find I can't do. I'd like to find some I can do.

Any ideas? Please tell me how...

Thanks!
JG

Capybara
May 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not exactly the best person to reply to this, but I've always liked French braids on shoulder length hair :) Do you do peacock twists, French twists, or regular ponytails? They can look really elegant in a simple way.
:blossom:

ETA: Silly me! I should have said this first, but Welcome to the LHC!!!

phylsgyrl
May 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Try putting your hair in a french twist (only twist up half of your hair if it's not holding right with all of it), use mini clips to hold it up along the way, stop clipping about halfway up the twist, let the rest of the hair fan out over your twist.

Also, you can try one that I used for formal updos when I was performing or going somewhere nice. Divide your hair in half, take one section and starting at the front of your head, twist it up and clip/bobby pin (I almost always opt for clips over bobby pins) until you get about an inch below your ear. Do the same to the other side. Either leave the rest down or twist small sections of the hair and clip it up. (here is a picture of the side twists, only she used bobby pins instead of clips) http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/620710903_6de7ff4534_o.jpg

4. Put your hair in a pony tail, take a favourite scarf and wrap it around your head. Avaamin on youtube has a great tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wso-IGwjVOw&feature=related

3. half pony tails, pig tails, half-dos are a good option for something comfortable that will stay also. Since they tend to get boring, maybe accesorize with flowers or scarves.

Also try putting your hair up when it's slightly damp because it holds better and use mini clips; they hold better when you have shorter hair.

hope this helps?

LawyerGirl
May 13th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Sockbuns and twists secured with combs?

pineconejg
May 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks all!
@ Capybara: Thanks for the welcome! :)
@ Phylsgyrl: What do you mean by miniclips? I'm not sure the thing I'm thinking is the thing you're talking about.

JG

Yozhik
May 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Try a Gibson tuck -- I think they're gorgeous!

Jessica Trapp
May 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
French braid.
Twist.
Not sure what it's called... but the one where hair is in a ponytail and you poke it through... they used to sell a tool called a topsy turvy to do it (but you can just use your fingers)... might look really cute.

:)

Kalyca
May 14th, 2010, 04:31 AM
mini braids, pigtails, double buns half up ponies, a french twist.. um.. you could curl your hair with rollers or rag curlers.. hmm, can't think of anything else.

Kalyca
May 14th, 2010, 04:32 AM
oh, oops. you said updos, not styles. scratch the curlers/rollers :P

FrannyG
May 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
My favourites at that length:

Gibson Tuck
Peacock Twist
French Twist
Folded Braid

Dreams_in_Pink
May 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I've always liked French braids on shoulder length hair :)

I agree :) learn to do french braid, french rope braid and dutch braid. They look super cool when you tuck the ends under. I wore my hair like that during SL and got lots of compliments and questions "how did you do that?!" :D

frizzalot
May 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I saw a lady on the tube with shoulder lengh hair in two dutch braids either side then joined into one at the back. I thought it looked awesome.

KnittingDragon
May 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
This is a good one. I have not had hair past my ears in years. I actually forgot some of these! And some I did not even know had a name.

Any more suggestions?

pineconejg
May 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Try a Gibson tuck -- I think they're gorgeous!
Thanks for the suggestion. Yesterday, I tried this and loved it!

JG

EtherealOde
May 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
And you can do side twists with the gibson tuck too, putting cute little jeweled (or otherwise decorated) hairpins in the twists and at the back where you tuck the pony in. I loved that one a lot at shoulder. The peacock twist looks pretty nice too. Another thing you can do is to make a mid to high pony and secure it well with a metal free hair tie the same color as your hair. Take tiny sections of the pony and wrap them around your fingers and secure the sections with a bobby pin, also in the same color as your hair or use jeweled ones for extra bling. You want to have the ends of the curl sticking out, not just a big loop. Keep making these loops in different directions until all the hair is secured. It looks really pretty with the pieces out and the curled loops. I have no idea what to call that style. Maybe a loopy bun? but not really a bun, since the hair is all over, as long as you cover the hairband you secured the pony with.

For more ideas, just experiment with the pony, like wrapping the hair tie with hair, or getting a hair scrunchie, or doing the pony loopy bun thing on the top of your head instead of the back.

papillon
May 16th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I just watched this video and the look is pretty cute. It's a way to jazz up a ponytail. It might be pretty common by now, but I think you can use fabrics you like instead of the headband.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsabcVRcWa8

MissySue
June 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm getting in to this thread kind of late I guess but I just joined. My hair is shoulder length and I like to put it in a high ponytail and then divide it into 4 or 5 sections and twist and twirl the ends and clip them with bobby pins.

pineconejg
June 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks MissySue!

SlightlySoprano
June 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
This thread is AWESOME!!! :D I've been doing plain old braids for weeks now, I'm dying to change it up...

Are there any videos on how to do a Gibson Tuck? I suck at figuring out written directions :(

GRU
June 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
Are there any videos on how to do a Gibson Tuck? I suck at figuring out written directions :(

Just go to YouTube and search... you'll find dozens (hundreds?)!!!

KnittingDragon
June 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Ok. Just got one from Amazon. Great for Hairdos.
Hairzing! Love Love Love It!
And I find it so easy to do that scrunchies do not compare!
Pony tails. Buns, French twist. They have their own video's on youtube on how to do these good updos. I don't know how well they would work for super thick or long hair but it works great on anyone I have tried with Shoulder length hair.

proo
June 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM
reverse twist

countryhopper
June 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
insstructions for a Gibson tuck: Make a ponytail, and make sure it is about an inch away from your scalp. Divide the hair behind the elastic (at the scalp) and shove the ponytail up and into the little pocket you created. Do not pull the ponytail through (as you would for a topsy tail); I kept doing this thinking this was the right way!

I like to put a pin or my newly acquired feather pins to kind of cover the hole above the ponytail.