PDA

View Full Version : Using a boar bristle brush

Jenn of Pence
May 12th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone, I was just wondering about usage of a boar bristle brush. I know it's good for smoothing, moving sebum down the shaft, and removing lint, etc., but I guess I haven't quite gotten the hang of how to wield the thing. I guess part of my problem is that my hair is rather thick, and it's difficult to get down to the scalp.
Any suggestions on a good brushing routine? Thanks!

Gumball
May 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Boar bristle brushes aren't meant to get to the scalp. They just aren't designed that way, so they won't do much in the way of penetrating your hair. Think of them as just working on the surface they come in contact with, so if you want to get at the under layer of hair with the brush for oil distribution and whatnot your best bet is to section your hair to be able to access where you want to the brush to go. It's not meant for use like regular brushes are. :)

TessieAnn
May 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM
See this page (https://morroccomethod.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=73&category_id=23&vmcchk=1) from Morrocco Method. Scroll down to How to Brush Your Hair.

I have the small blond boar bristle brush--perfect for my thin, fine hair. I can see how many brushes would tend to just smooth the top of the hair. Anthony Morrocco's routine may allow you to penetrate to scalp from different directions.

countryhopper
May 13th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I don't have a BBB, so I can't give my personal experience, but I was wondering if it would work for you to detangle first with a comb, clip most of your hair up, brush one thin section of hair at the nape, let down another section, etc? that way you'd evenly brush all your hair but just a little section at a time.

Hope that makes sense!

Lisette
May 13th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Brushing does't work for my hair it gets greassy and flat. I only use a wide tooth comb to detangle.

Lisette

Norai
May 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
It just occurred to me that it would probably be very good evening out oil after application - I heavily oil my hair the night before I wash it, and have issues getting it on evenly. I'll have to try out my BBB that has been lurking in the back of my drawer for quite a while now...

Jenn of Pence
May 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Sectioning worked well for smoothing it down tonight, after washing this morning. The results on the greasy roots last night were, well, not so impressive. I guess further experimentation is in order for determining how I like to use the brush :)

nellreno
May 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM
It's not really made to detangle, or get all the way down to the scalp. If I'm doing an updo and want to get all my hair smoothed back, a BBB is really good for that. I also use it to spread sebum down my hair (after I've detangled with a wide-toothed comb), this makes my hair really soft.