PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, what do you do?

fisher2
May 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM
so guys if you dont wear updos like buns(or cant handle the hassle from peers) how do you pretect your hair past bsl. im thinking braids but i really cant do it behind my back very well.

Flynn
May 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Braids are best, and they're just practice.

Until you get up to speed with them, you can also make a "caterpillar" of hair using several snagless hairties. Basically, make a ponytail, then put another hairtie around all the hair a couple of inches down, then a couple of inches under that, and so on down to the ends.

fisher2
May 12th, 2010, 07:24 PM
i dont like segmented tails as to me it feels like my hair has a weird bump in each segment due to the waves and it makes me feel like its poorly done :P. thankyou for the fast response

Flynn
May 12th, 2010, 07:25 PM
'salright. Have you tried rope-braiding? That might be easier for you than a three-strand...

ETA: DBF does a looped-under ponytail, then loops the loop under again... That makes no sense in words, though. You know when you're doing a ponytail, an you don't pull it the whole way through the last time? That's what I mean. Except he then does it twice, so the not-pulled-through bit gets not-pulled-through itself. It effectively makes something that works like a bun, but doesn't look like one. His hair's not very thick though; mine is, and I can't do this even when I'm at the same length as him.

fisher2
May 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
can you show a picture of a rope braid. maybe a tutorial. my question mark key doesnt work lol

Flynn
May 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Over here (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/1245615501_af92c38bf1.jpg?v=0).

You divide the hair in two, and twist the sections in the same direction as each other -- say, you twist each clockwise. Then you just wind them around each other in the opposite direction-- say, counterclockwise. That way if the twists in the strand try to loosen, the braid tightens, and if the braid tries to loosen, the twists tighten.

fisher2
May 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
ok il have to try that when i get more hairtyes

Yozhik
May 12th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hi fisher2! I don't know if your question was directed toward "guys" as in males or guys as in generic people . . . in any case, if you google "rope braid" you can see a lot of examples (look for the pics that look like a coiled rope, or like two strands twisted around each other).

It's pretty easy to do once you master the trick of twisting the two strands in the same direction (say, clockwise), then twisting them around each other in the opposite direction (say, counterclockwise).

I hope that helps! ETA: Oops! Flynn, you beat me by a long shot, both in clarity and in google skills :) :o

GoddesJourney
May 12th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Braids are best, and they're just practice.

Until you get up to speed with them, you can also make a "caterpillar" of hair using several snagless hairties. Basically, make a ponytail, then put another hairtie around all the hair a couple of inches down, then a couple of inches under that, and so on down to the ends.

I second what Flynn says.

Peter
May 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah, learning to braid your hair will be very helpful. That's all I can really think of other than a bun or a segmented ponytail.

Heidi_234
May 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
When your braid is long enough to be 'out-of-reach', you bring it over the shoulder and carry on braiding it. The basic English braid is not hard at all, just takes a little bit practice.

jterij
May 13th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I roll my ends up to about BSL and then wrap a scrunchy around the roll. So it hangs to BSL or just higher then is rolled.

Dani
May 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Twin braids and twin buns or twin halfway-through ponytails works well for me.

GRU
May 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM
If you don't like the segmented ponytail look, you could wrap it up with a ribbon or a leather thong -- tie the middle of the ribbon/thong at your ponytail holder at the base of your head, then criss-cross the ribbon over and under your hair, kind of like putting ribbons on a maypole.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but maybe someone else here can give an example of what I'm talking about.

Gumball
May 13th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I wear lots of stuff, and really don't get any hassle from peers. I was initially unsure about wearing my hair anything but down, so I started with a ponytail that wasn't pulled all the way through. That eventually led to a regular braid, which was a staple for a long time. I've also worn segmented ponytails for a bit of that time. Now it's really whatever I feel like wearing. There are some styles I still won't really wear out, but it's much more lax now. I wear buns most often, whether they're braided or not. It depends on the day and the effort I feel like expending. :)

mattt
May 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM
i used a folded ponytail when my hair was long before and that worked and i didnt get much of a hassle. my hair was already long so it wasnt that weird.

ccaswick
May 13th, 2010, 10:16 AM
When I first started self-braiding it felt backward and odd; but with practice it becomes natural -- so just do it and eventually you'll feel like taking on new and different braids -- at first I just plain English braided, but lately I'm into lace and fairy tale brading -- and will eventually master that too.

moonlight
May 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
My cute biker friends wear these...both the girls and guys

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Glove-Laced-Biker-Accessory/dp/B001G6UHWI

lapushka
May 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm still mostly wearing my hair in a peacock twist, it's a messy updo (hair pouring out over the claw clip). Sometimes I fold it in on itself and secure it with a Ficcare or Flexi8 to make it appear less messy like in this pic:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7067/001thy.th.jpg (http://img685.imageshack.us/my.php?image=001thy.jpg)

It's not bunning, it's not even a French twist, but it's out of the way...

Capybara
May 13th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Have you tried a low ponytail? Not exactly the most protective style, but at least it keeps the hair out from under seat belts, backpack straps, etc. :)

Squeak toy
May 13th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I really never wear my hair down, it gets in the way loose. For me down is braided in pigtails either French or Dutch. I learned to Braid Your Own Hair with a book by that title from a website called the braided image. It is very easy neat and quick and once you can do the basics you can add variety, like a crown braid.

BelleBot
May 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
My boyfriend has tailbone length hair. He usually wears it in a low ponytail to keep it out of the way. And when I'm about I usually braid it for him either in an english braid or rope braid to help keep it out of the way and protected. He's not so great at braiding hair.
It does take practise to learn to braid yourself, but it's perfectly doable. I've been doing it since I was little though, so it's second nature to me.