PDA

View Full Version : What does oil DO?

Beets
May 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Can someone talk to me about what's actually happening when one oils one's hair?

Does it bond to the hair shaft in some way, or just coat and protect it? If the latter, what exactly does it protect it from and how? Does it stay put, or does it travel up or down the shaft on its own? Why does hair feel softer even when the oiliness has gone away? What makes the oiliness go away?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Themyst
May 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I just kind of blindy followed the minions when I tried oiling - but I found that it does seem to protect and improve my hair. I have fine hair that isn't very forgiving when handled a lot. If I did all the fussing with fancy buns and braiding that so many others on here do, my hair would be a frazzled mess. Oiling does seem to improve the elasticity of my hair.

Yozhik
May 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I don't think I have by any means a complete concept of what it does, but partially, I think it's that it locks in moisture. Of course, there has to be moisture to begin with, which is why some people oil after they wash their hair. I'm assuming that it works similarly to silicones, but more naturally to smooth down the cuticle, as well. As for hair still feeling soft after the oiliness leaves the hair, I guess it's from allowing the hair to retain more moisture by keeping it locked in?

I'm sorry, as you can see, I'm not 100% positive about this, either, but I have a few hypotheses. :)

I'll be watching this thread!

manderly
May 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
How do airplanes fly? I don't know, they just do :D

I have no idea about all the mechanics and chemical things that go on when oiling, I just know my hair enjoys it so I keep doing it.

Look forward to other answers :)

spidermom
May 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hair is formed from a long chain of molecules that includes essential fatty acids from sebaceous glands in the hair follicle. The longer hair gets, the more essential fatty acids are eroded away, leaving spaces in the molecular structure. When you use the right kinds of oil, and different people do better with different types, the essential fatty acids of oil slip into the molecular chain, making hair stronger and more supple/flexible.

Sometimes hair doesn't improve with oil because there is too much missing from the molecular structure, so hair can't absorb the essential fatty acids. This is in the case of severely damaged hair that maybe has been bleached and heat styled and ???. At the other end of the spectrum, sometimes hair already has everything it needs, and there are no spaces for the EFAs to slip into. In both cases, oil only makes the hair oily.

clichepithet
May 12th, 2010, 09:36 PM
How do airplanes fly? I don't know, they just do :D (snip)

http://www.ct.gov/kids/cwp/view.asp?a=2731&q=330926

Tee-hee... :p ;)

Hair is formed from a long chain of molecules that includes essential fatty acids from sebaceous glands in the hair follicle. The longer hair gets, the more essential fatty acids are eroded away, leaving spaces in the molecular structure. When you use the right kinds of oil, and different people do better with different types, the essential fatty acids of oil slip into the molecular chain, making hair stronger and more supple/flexible.

Sometimes hair doesn't improve with oil because there is too much missing from the molecular structure, so hair can't absorb the essential fatty acids. This is in the case of severely damaged hair that maybe has been bleached and heat styled and ???. At the other end of the spectrum, sometimes hair already has everything it needs, and there are no spaces for the EFAs to slip into. In both cases, oil only makes the hair oily.

...what she said. Spidermom FTW! :cheer:

SpeakingEZ
May 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Not that it's very helpful here, but I tend to oil my ends because that they're damaged and oil makes them less prone to catch on each other.

pennylane
May 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I don't really know what oils/butters do to my hair, but everytime i oil my hair it is shinier and softer, my hair is kind of thick and can get frizzy too, but oils/butters help a lot to control it and make it look healthier . :)

(i am talking oil/butters as pre shampoo treatments)

Kaijah
May 12th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Thiiiiis! :D Props for the awesome geeky response.

The Natural Haven also had quite a few posts about how oils work with hair and water. This one (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/part-2-necessity-of-oils.html) is the first that comes to mind; she also uses some illustrations if you're more visual. There's tons of others, like the case for water/oil (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/09/moisture-or-oil-case-for-water-part-1.html), a bit on coconut oil (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/readers-questions-moisture-issue-so-far.html), and oil mixtures (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/10/coconut-oil-olive-oil-mixed-micelles.html). /linkoverload. I think she just explains most topics pretty well, if you feel like browsing.

jterij
May 13th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Thank you Kaijah for those links! I'm trying to understand my own hair better and that helps.

rapunzhell13
May 13th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Thiiiiis! :D Props for the awesome geeky response.

The Natural Haven also had quite a few posts about how oils work with hair and water. This one (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/part-2-necessity-of-oils.html) is the first that comes to mind; she also uses some illustrations if you're more visual. There's tons of others, like the case for water/oil (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/09/moisture-or-oil-case-for-water-part-1.html), a bit on coconut oil (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/02/readers-questions-moisture-issue-so-far.html), and oil mixtures (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/10/coconut-oil-olive-oil-mixed-micelles.html). /linkoverload. I think she just explains most topics pretty well, if you feel like browsing.

Cheers for the links. :thumbsup:

lemonmelon
May 13th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I've mainly noticed the coconut oil has helped my ends in terms of tangly. It seems to coat the hair and take away the "velcro-ey" feeling. It also makes my hair soft! Thanks Spidermom for the scientific answer! It's good to know why it works for some and not for others.

Forever_Sophie
May 13th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Beets, thanks for asking this great question, and thanks to Spidermom and Kaijah for providing such thorough info!

TrudieCat
May 13th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Beets, thanks for asking this great question, and thanks to Spidermom and Kaijah for providing such thorough info!

+1! I knew oil made me hair feel more healthy, but had no idea why. This is great information!

adiapalic
May 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hmm, this is a really cool thread--very good question. Thanks for the info. :)

Beets
May 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks, Spidermom, for the gloriously succinct answer, and thanks, Kaijah, for the links to that great site! I appreciate you both, and the others who have piped up, too!
:flower:

jivete
May 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
How do airplanes fly? I don't know, they just do

Bernouilli's principle! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle :D

Thanks Spidermom for the very informative description of oils. I go back and forth with whether or not I should use oils or silicones. Oils do make my hair easier to detangle, but I should probably be using them to help combat all the old damage too.

TrudieCat
May 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I go back and forth with whether or not I should use oils or silicones. Oils do make my hair easier to detangle, but I should probably be using them to help combat all the old damage too.

I use both and I haven't noticed any problems. Is it problematic to use both?

SimplyViki
May 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I use both and I haven't noticed any problems. Is it problematic to use both?
I've used both at least as long as I've been here, and no problems so far! I try and use an oil under my cones when I can (for no other reason than it makes sense in my head), but if there's a coney conditioner and I oil afterwards, it's no big deal.

Maplecat
May 13th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Nice links! I knew there was a reason I love coconut oil so much.

eezepeeze
May 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM
It replaces missing fatty acids. But, not all oils are created equal. To my knowledge only coconut oil has been proven to be beneficial to the hair and skin. Although, I am still learning about argan oil and jojoba oil, among others. I also want to investigate using aloe in the hair as a deep conditioning treatment. Anyway....

What I can say from personal experience is this: I have VERY curly and VERY dry hair. I can put about a teaspoon of coconut oil in my hair every day (on the length) and by evening it is completely absorbed. In combination with the evil cones (my hair needs them), the oil helps smooth and soften my rough hair. I also have seen a TREMENDOUS difference in the health of my hair, especially new growth. To be honest, I think the ends of my hair are beyond help due to heat styling (which I gave up), but as I gradually trim away the damage, the new growth is stronger, shinier, softer, and more manageable.

sibiryachka
May 15th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you Kaijah for those links! I'm trying to understand my own hair better and that helps.

Second that, what a find!! I've bookmarked that blog; just in the posts you linked to it looks like she also addresses two other separate topics I've been wondering about lately. Score! :cheese: