PDA

View Full Version : How cold is cold for you?

Nymphie
May 12th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I've read some places here on LHC that cold washes are supposed to be good for the hair, specially for avoiding hair sheds.

What do you consider a cold wash? I usually start shower in around 35-38¤C (can't do that little circle, can't find it) and end the shower in 20-28¤C. Always have and probably always will.

ArienEllariel
May 12th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I don't know.. I don't really measure. A "cold" rinse for me is more of a cool water rinse. Something a little cooler than lukewarm is all I can handle unless I'm overheated.

Nymphie
May 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I've always been extremly sensitive to heat. I usually stay in the shadow litteraly eating icecubes during the summer, so I like cool showers and baths. Saunas though, I love :D

laurathexplora
May 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I don't know what temperature the water is, but in the winter I shampoo with warm water and then when the warm water runs out(very small water heater) I rinse in cool water. In the summer I use only enough warm water to take the edge off and then just cold water to rinse. But then I only rinse my hair and not my body in the ice cold water. The super cold water on my body makes me want to scream. :D

frizzalot
May 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I rinse my hair with the coldest the water can get. The water doesn't touch my body or my scalp of course :D

missmandy
May 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I start out pretty warm and slowly get colder... Usually not so cold that my body can't stand it, just a bit chilly.

(P.S. To do ° if you're on a Mac, hold option+shift and then hit 8. :) )

Nymphie
May 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm on a PC, just completely lost at symbols XD

Chilly water feels nice, then you won't freeze as much when you go out from the shower :p

Ludde
May 13th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Also as cold as cold water can get without freezing the pipes.

Sarahmoon
May 13th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I think my "cold" is still pretty much lukewarm :oops:

(And I do ° by holding control alt shift and then hit ; )

Tornerose
May 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I don't check temperatures either, but after I'm done washing and rinsing out products I turn off the warm water and give it a rinse like that. Quickly over the scalp, and alittle longer over the hair itself.. And of course not letting the COLD hair come in contact with my back or anything :lol:

In2wishin
May 13th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I started doing the cold rinses just a couple of weeks ago. For now I just turn the shower to the coldest setting and lean back so my hair and scalp get it. It does run down my back some so I will need to figure something out by the time winter comes around again. Right now it is no colder than jumping into some of the lakes I swim in.:D

Kristin
May 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I don't do cold water unless it's summertime and/or I need to wake up. :D Most times it's somewhere between cold and lukewarm.

atlantaz3
May 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Does running out of hot water count? I tend to stay to the warm side. If I am being good I will rinse with room temp distilled water. Which is still pretty darn cold to me.

gypsychild
May 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I was rather addicted to hot, steamy showers. Considering hair health, the environment, and the electric bill, I've scaled back considerably. My "cold water" rinse is just a bit cooler than lukewarm with about half a second of icy cold at the end to make me feel like I've accomplished something.

julliams
May 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't have a clue about temperatures but I just shut the hot off and rinse with only the cold water. Of course I live in Australia so it's not like it's icy where I'm living.

Stagecoach
May 13th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I rinse with all cold. And it's COLD coming straight from a 200' well! I let it rinse my scalp, but not run down my body... I'd turn blue if it did!

amoulixes
May 13th, 2010, 08:51 PM
My guess is that most of my shower is around 100-110 degrees, and I turn it down to 70-80. Feels like room temperature to me, which is supposed to be something like 74? So not necessarily cold, but I can definitely tell a difference in the way the conditioner rinses out. It's like it rinses most of it out without going too far; I find the hot water seems to rinse it all out too quickly.

Jessica Trapp
May 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I've never measured the temp, but my cold rinses are as cold as I can stand them... which isn't very cold... and I hold my hair away from my body. Brrrrrrrrrrrr....

Nevermore
May 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I don't know the exact temperatures, but I shower in hot water, wet my hair in hot water, rinse in hot water, then rinse in the coldest water I can get in the shower here (I suspect it's 65ish degrees). I lean back and just rinse my hair and scalp in the cold water, it feels nice on my scalp but it'd freeze me if I didn't lean away from it.

Mae
May 13th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I never go any colder than just a little cooler than luke warm. I'm a wimp. :)

I never put very hot water on my hair. I'm not sure if that would actually cause damage, but I stick with warm temperatures to be safe.

ilovelonghair
May 14th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I have never measured the water temperature, but I know 38 degrees Celsius would be way too cold for me because I have tried that in a bath. I need really hot water even on a extreme hot day. Only my face and scalp like that less. Maybe all bad for my hair?

elina333
May 14th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I usually wash my hair with cold water and then rinse it with ice cold! :) Its horrible if I get it on my back but I've found it helps with shedding quite a lot so its worth it :)

AgnesONutter
May 14th, 2010, 04:00 AM
I just turn down the heat setting all the way for the final, quick rinse bending over, then I squeeze (not wring) the water out and wrap a towel around it so it never gets in touch with my body. I don't know if the truly cold rinse really does that much of a difference compared to a just cold-enough-not-to-be-brrr-cold rinse. Have to experiment a bit with that now comes summer.

ilovelonghair
May 18th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I usually wash my hair with cold water and then rinse it with ice cold! :) Its horrible if I get it on my back but I've found it helps with shedding quite a lot so its worth it :)

Got to try it, I loose such amounts of hair when washing. But not when combing. I think sometimes that those hairs were about to fall out anyway, but during washing my scalp gets a good massage and loosens them up.

otherarrow
May 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Well, I'm actually allergic to cold water (or something.. my skin itches like crazy after a cold shower). So I keep it hot (probably too hot for some)...
Sorry if I didn't really contribute to the conversation :(