PDA

View Full Version : Split-ends problem and trimming - suggestions ?

Nordlys
May 12th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I am having a major problem with split ends. I cut my hair 1 1/2 year ago from BS length to shoulder length in order to get rid of my split ends and most of my damaged hair (I had been chemically bleeching-dyeing my hair from summer 2004 to summer 2008. I did the major cut I refer to autumn 2008 and have not used any chemical dyes on my hair since). I still have some damaged parts from the mid of my hair and towards the ends. I get horrible split ends and I do not know what to do with it. I try to trim them bit by bit using a strong light source and taking a few hair straws at a time in order to become rid of as much splits as possible. I do that a couple of days per week. I also trimmed 2 cm the 30th of April. It does not help. The split ends reappear after a while. :justy:Any suggestions that can help me to reduce split ends? My big wish is to get tailbone length hair, but I can't see how I can achieve that with my split-ends problem :( . Any ideas are deeply appreciated.

morecowbell
May 12th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Are your trimming scissors plenty sharp? Dull scissors can cause splits. So if you're cutting off splits with something that's causing splits, they'll just come right on back a little while later.

HTH :)

kdaniels8811
May 12th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Catnip tea soaks instead of conditioner will help prevent split ends. It enabled me to grow my hair long. There is a huge thread here on how to do it, easy and cheap to use.

Sarahmoon
May 12th, 2010, 07:39 AM
In addition, would it help to try ignore them a bit more? Maybe it helps when I told you I had a lot of splits when I first came to this forum with mid back length hair, and it still grew to classic before I decided to even up the hem line a bit. I used jojoba oil on the ends to make them look less damaged and dried out. Most of the time no-one even noticed I had split ends.

spidermom
May 12th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm not in a hurry to get to my length goal, so I trim as often as necessary to get rid of too many split ends - sometimes 4 inches at a time. I think I've finally gotten ahead of the damage I caused before LHC because my hair is at lower tailbone length, and I don't find many splits anymore.

For some people, damaged hair will keep breaking off, so they won't get to goal whether they're trimming or not. Another web site about growing long hair recommends cutting out damage as soon as possible, then concentrate on growing. But it's up to you.

Nordlys
May 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Thank you all for your answers :)

morecowbell, I have recently changed scissors so we will see if that affects or not. I must admit that the former I used was not the best type scissor to use.

Sarahmoon, I think your suggestion would maybe be the best for me right now, cause if I continue to be obsessed with the splits, I risk clipping a lot of my hair and that would only make me depressed...

kdaniels8811, what about using directly catnip spray on the hair? I have a kitten and I have catnip spray bought from a pet shop. Could I use that on my hair ? Thank you for the tip btw, I am going to read through the catnip thread.

spidermom, the last time I clipped my hair I did it exactly in order to get rid as much damage as possible, and I have regreted afterwards. I do not think I have the courage to go through the same process again, although it would make the hair healthier of course.

Sarahmoon
May 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I believe hair will also split a bit faster with this length where it brushes on your shoulders often and it's still too short to wear it in a protective style.

Nordlys
May 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I believe hair will also split a bit faster with this length where it brushes on your shoulders often and it's still too short to wear it in a protective style.

My hair is now somewhere between APL and BSL. I think the split ends problem is related to the fact that I have fine hair which were also chemically treated in the past. I started using Henna/cassia a month ago, and I hope my hair will become healthier in time. :)

Sunny_side_up
May 15th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Sharp new scissors, a bit of an SD mission and then oiling and wearing up lots. Because my hair was heavily layered im aware that i could have splits at various layer lengths, but dont :D Well partly because i dont actively look much and also after this wet layered cut was done i didn't have a blowdry. I don't use any heat on my hair and protect it when out in the sun.
Happy growing:)

FrannyG
May 15th, 2010, 08:12 AM
That hair that was previously damaged from bleach will just keep splitting and breaking off until it is all cut out.

If you don't want to cut it all at once, I suggest a 1/2 inch trim every three months. That way, you'll still be gaining length but slowly ridding yourself of damage.

In the meantime, make sure that you give your hair plenty of deep moisture treatments, maybe the occasional protein treatment, and try to keep it from getting any more damaged than it already is.

It will take a lot of patience to get to tailbone and get rid of the damage, but you can do it. So many members here have. :blossom:

Jessica Trapp
May 15th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Do you protect your hair at night with a sleep cap or braiding or special pillowcase? I found that a sleep cap did wonders for keeping my hair from damage.

Anyway... hugs... there is a lot of help around here just keep reading and experimenting and be patient and you'll reach your goal.

:flower: jes

Nordlys
May 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
Do you protect your hair at night with a sleep cap or braiding or special pillowcase? I found that a sleep cap did wonders for keeping my hair from damage.

Anyway... hugs... there is a lot of help around here just keep reading and experimenting and be patient and you'll reach your goal.

:flower: jes

Thanx for the hugs Jes:flower:.

I want to buy a silk cap but I cant find the type I wish to have (see picture on the link). http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31397&page=2 Do you have any recommendations ? It would help a lot :) Where did you buy the one you are using?

Nordlys
May 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
It will take a lot of patience to get to tailbone and get rid of the damage, but you can do it. So many members here have. :blossom:

Thank you for encouraging me FrannyG :sun: . I really hope I can achieve that. I am very careful with my hair now and I use henna and cassia to color it.

UltraBella
May 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
All these suggestions are great !
I am wondering if some people are just more prone to getting split ends ? Genetics ? So many people here treat their hair so delicately, yet still struggle with split ends. And here I am doing all the bad stuff to my hair - heat, bleach, dye, cones - but I barely have any. Can you be pre-disposed to have this issue ?

Nordlys
May 22nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
You are very lucky UltraBella ! I have fine hair that doesn't responde so good to chemicals. My problem with the split ends started after I started abusing my hair with bleeching and chemical dyes:(. I have now learned my lesson and stopped using such products. I try to make my hair healthier and thicker using henna and cassia and that works very nice :). I guess I will just have to be patient until all the "damaged parts" disappear over time. I do not want to clip it off all at once, so I will try to do it gradually.